Dying Light

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
It's made by the people who made Dead Island but it's supposed to have more running around with parkor. This is definitely something I can wait for reviews on. Dead Island was a good concept but needed to be refined more. Too buggy

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
To preface this: I don't care for zombie stuff, and am generally uninterested in the theme.

I want this game, though. It looks like a violent blast, like a game that might ACTUALLY be scary (unlike The Evil Within). I'm similarly wanting to see more (like how the night cycle action is, they keep teasing it as "more intense," but I haven't watched anything with actual nighttime gameplay). It seems like it has a lot going on, even it seems a little illogical to constantly engage in close-range combat with zombies, haha.

Still, it seems like it could be a really good game. It's fast-paced, it seems like a rather forgiving game (in terms of letting you have fun doing crazy things), and the potential for difficulty in combat and scariness intrigues me.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Zombie games have never scared me. Evil within is scary but it's more creepy than scary. I dont see how this game will be scary if you have ever played a zombie themed game you know the drill.

I will have to wait for a review but it looks interesting. I hope they don't pull the main theme of you have to turn on the lights (climb tower, etc ) for each area as a way to unlock side missions..at least it looks like they do.

The 15 min gameplay didn't show enough of the mechanics.

I mean what I mostly got from it was you will spend a lot of time running away from zombies via platforms and rooftops and only fighting when necessary. If it has a good story this may be decent as well as other mechanics to make it interesting.

Last edited:

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I've been too lazy to pre-order it. I suppose I should go ahead and do that today, since the game is out tonight/tomorrow...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've been too lazy to pre-order it. I suppose I should go ahead and do that today, since the game is out tonight/tomorrow...
I'm looking forward to it. The multiplayer looks cool, I read an article on it where they said it is seemless with the story mode and you can hop in and out. Has a humans and night crawler mode where you can play as either side. Players as humans have to work together to accomplish victory. So there is also night and day mode in multiplayer so you can venture out at night if you want or hide in the safe house.

I'm not going to preorder. The storm here is just starting and I'm not sure if I'll be at the best buy near my office tomorrow or if I'll be working from home. I have my gift card from evil within with the $10 coupon as well. Just going to pick it up during lunch wherever I'll be.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ahh, I want to make sure I get the $10 rewards back for the pre-order, so I'm going to go by there. Best Buy is also doing +30% trade-in this week, so I'm going to take a few things by that I'm not playing (finished Monopoly and can't get into Metro).

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
Seems to have respectable user reviews over at Metacritic. Anyone here try it yet?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Seems to have respectable user reviews over at Metacritic. Anyone here try it yet?
Yea and on reddit. Got it today at best buy after all my discounts I paid $20 but I don't know when I'll have time to play. Maybe tonite and I can come back and give some impressions.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I'm really tempted to go pick it up. My pre-order didn't process until this afternoon, and it's still not in the UPS system, meaning it might not even get here until Friday. I could go get it at Best Buy now, then take it back the shipped copy with the in-store receipt. I tried to pre-order in-store last night, but the stupid system was down, and the site wouldn't let me do a store pick-up pre-order, either.

Patience is not my strong suit.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm really tempted to go pick it up. My pre-order didn't process until this afternoon, and it's still not in the UPS system, meaning it might not even get here until Friday. I could go get it at Best Buy now, then take it back the shipped copy with the in-store receipt. I tried to pre-order in-store last night, but the stupid system was down, and the site wouldn't let me do a store pick-up pre-order, either.

Patience is not my strong suit.
I didn't get to play it yet its sitting here in my bag. Been reading a lot about it. I have people over and were watching a movie but I hope I can at least install it and see what its like before I go to bed. Lots of people describe some sort of vertigo because of the horizontal and vertical movement due to the parkour. Although they also say your movement gets better as you level up. There is one review from cheat code central on meta critic and they gave it a 94. Ign is still in process of reviewing it but the in progress review was good too.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
It's made by the people who made Dead Island but it's supposed to have more running around with parkor. This is definitely something I can wait for reviews on. Dead Island was a good concept but needed to be refined more. Too buggy

My buddy and I had great fun with Dead Island on the 360. We are both going to get PS4s next holiday season so I'm definitely looking forward to this title!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I did end up playing a bit tonite. The parkour is great but hard to get used to. If you have played mirrors edge its very similar. You really need to use your sights and look where you want to jump. A lot of times I felt myself scrambling up a wall or ledge trying to get away only looking up all the time to figure where else I can jump.

Its pretty true you can jump and go almost anywhere. They did a good job with the environments.

The graphics are great even though the TV in my bedroom is only 32 inches. I should take the system in the living room on the bigger TV but that is always in use.

The combat is straight forward, you aim while looking and awing with L2. You can kick enemies down then hit them knocking their heads and limbs off. I didn't feel like it was clunky at all. I've only unlocked one or two skill points.

You can craft weapons in the menu and it only takes a few seconds as long as you have items. They can be bought or found anywhere in the world. The button layout is a bit weird, you run by pressing the left thumbstick and r1 to jump. My r1 is starting to stick so I may need a new controller. This got annoying when I was being chased by a horde and I couldn't jump correctly.

It feels like two different games, day and night time. During the day you can explore and jump around all you want, fight, etc. Night time is no joke it creeps me out. You literally can not see anything..it was very hard to figure out where you are going.

Zombies at night are different, they seem evolved and more powerful. And screw that night hunter he will mess you up because he can chase after you and jump just like you can on surfaces that aren't as high like rafters or car rooftops.

Night time is freaky because my line of sight was nearly zero. You really have to get to the rooftops and try to use the few streetlights to navigate.

I'm enjoying the game a lot and I wasn't a big fan of dead island. But I really like this. The side quests vary too and there are plenty of them which you can pick up from various npc's. I'll have to get more time to play to figure out all that you can do as I've only got past the prologue.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I'm glad it is sounding good. My copy's still due here tomorrow (though I'm praying for the outside chance if gets to this town in the early evening and I can try to go by and pick it up in-person), so I'm complaining at Halo (both the connection times and the lack of quality teammates) while I wait. I really need to get more friends on Xbox LIVE again because I find myself playing everything solo, and if I read correctly, you can co-op the Dying Light campaign, which would be cool. I never played Mirror's Edge (came out during my EA embargo), so this will be something new for me, stylistically.

Maybe a zombie game can NOT suck. Just maybe.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I would add you for co op but I got it for ps4 even though I have both systems, the ps4 is in my bedroom and the xbox in the living room. It gets used a lot for streaming and movies, so its always in use.

I think this is a good zombie game compared to others I have played. I really want to get better at increasing my character's strength and abilities. There are 3 skill trees to unlock.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I'm definitely not getting the game tonight, sadly. UPS's shipping routes from the east like to stop in Earth City, MO before coming to me. I'm in Illinois, so it means overshooting me, leaving the thing in MO all afternoon, then sending it to our UPS facility in the middle of the night, probably, to have it delivered tomorrow.

I've generally been bored with zombie stuff for a while. I didn't bother with stuff like The Walking Dead or Dead Island. I don't really care for CoD's Zombies/Nazi Zombies/Exo Zombies stuff, either. The only zombie game I've tried in recent history is The Evil Within, which I've given my not-so-glowing opinion on here a few times. This and The Division are the games I had the highest hopes for last year, so I was disappointed when they got pushed back, and I'm glad we seem to finally have the first, good, new IP of 2015.

As for the console choice, I have too much of a hard time playing the games I get for my One. Add in the Wii U I keep at my sister's and the PC games I never get to touch (also because of lack of co-op partners), and I wouldn't have anywhere to put a PS4's library, other than the "games I'll never get around to playing" list.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'll get to spend more time with the game today after work. Last night I was rushing through it and didn't really watch all the cutscenes,etc. I may try out the be the zombie mode to see what that is like. I think after the prologue you unlock co op and multiplayer so I want to give those a try too.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I did end up playing a bit tonite. The parkour is great but hard to get used to. If you have played mirrors edge its very similar. You really need to use your sights and look where you want to jump. A lot of times I felt myself scrambling up a wall or ledge trying to get away only looking up all the time to figure where else I can jump.

Its pretty true you can jump and go almost anywhere. They did a good job with the environments.

The graphics are great even though the TV in my bedroom is only 32 inches. I should take the system in the living room on the bigger TV but that is always in use.

The combat is straight forward, you aim while looking and awing with L2. You can kick enemies down then hit them knocking their heads and limbs off. I didn't feel like it was clunky at all. I've only unlocked one or two skill points.

You can craft weapons in the menu and it only takes a few seconds as long as you have items. They can be bought or found anywhere in the world. The button layout is a bit weird, you run by pressing the left thumbstick and r1 to jump. My r1 is starting to stick so I may need a new controller. This got annoying when I was being chased by a horde and I couldn't jump correctly.

It feels like two different games, day and night time. During the day you can explore and jump around all you want, fight, etc. Night time is no joke it creeps me out. You literally can not see anything..it was very hard to figure out where you are going.

Zombies at night are different, they seem evolved and more powerful. And screw that night hunter he will mess you up because he can chase after you and jump just like you can on surfaces that aren't as high like rafters or car rooftops.

Night time is freaky because my line of sight was nearly zero. You really have to get to the rooftops and try to use the few streetlights to navigate.

I'm enjoying the game a lot and I wasn't a big fan of dead island. But I really like this. The side quests vary too and there are plenty of them which you can pick up from various npc's. I'll have to get more time to play to figure out all that you can do as I've only got past the prologue.

You sold me the game, thanks :)
Gonna grab this soon, look really good!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You sold me the game, thanks :)
Gonna grab this soon, look really good!
I'm having a lot of fun with it. Still very early and haven't found decent weapons but I only did the first mission and one quest. Of course you can venture out all over the place, but its a really fun experience overall. The combat is pretty brutal too.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I just bought it for $45 at GMG with the 25% voucher I found in my email.
Gonna give this a try tonight!

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Mine just showed up from UPS. I've gotta finish watching something and eat lunch, but I'm going to get the install started and play after.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
One thing I notice is the quests are actually tough maybe so in the beginning. I'm only 1% complete and equipped with a few wrenches and pipes as weapons but the quests you are bombarded with after the prologue are not very easy. Tip: if you are near a safe house when doing a quest unlock it because if it turns dark out, you will regret it. Some quests though can only be done at night and may take more than one night to do so if you are overwhelmed and escape to a safe house you have to wait until another night cycle to complete it.

Edit: I forgot to add the game has zombie invasion which is similar to the watchdogs multiplayer or dark souls where players as zombies can invade your game and hunt you down if you turn on that feature.

Last edited: