DYING LIGHT 2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Why would people want to watch spoilers on a game they plan on playing? Not saying you shouldn't post them, I just don't understand that mentality of watching something you're going to play. It just ruins the experience in my opinion.

Occasionally if I get "stuck" in a single-player game (on my initial play-through) to the point where it gets frustrating and becomes no longer fun I will apply the absolute minimum cheat or Google the solution if its a puzzle. WTH is the point if you're not having fun?

Otherwise I completely agree ... cheating ruins a game.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Sounds like this game is absolutely brutal with RT on and basically AMD cards can kiss RT goodbye while NV cards basically have to have DLSS enabled for RT.

Also heard the RT implementation is better than your average title and there are noticable quality improvements in lighting with RT on. Is this a classic case of "the dev screwed up the raster lighting" or does the game look good without RT but still substantially better with it on?
From what I can see, and I only had time to play maybe 45 minutes so I'm still in the prologue area, RT is used heavily in this game, but the right way. The implementation is well done. Lighting effects, the transition from daytime to mid day and then night time.

Shadows and foilage too reflect nicely. I think the ray tracing implementation looks better than cyberpunk.

As for graphics on the PC, there aren't a lot of settings for textures and stuff. I set it to High ray tracing preset and then I went into advanced settings and followed the Digital Foundry optimized settings for ray tracing cards.

So far in that prologue area in seeing around 80+ fps with some dips to 70's at times. I'm running 3440x1440 resolution.

Also ultrawidefy app has a fix for widescreen cutscenes which is nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
My friend bought it for XBox X so I got it too so we can co-op together. Downloaded it but now I gotta wait for the XIM guys to release the translator in a week so I can use M&B with the Xbox on it. But if I want to play with him, that's the only way so it is what it is.

Apparently to enable coop you gotta finish a few missions first, which I've seen before in games. He played it last night and said it's a lot of fun so far and he doesn't have many moves yet.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
To play coop you have to reach the open world. It took me and two of my friends 3 hours each. Maybe it can be done quicker but that's how long it took us.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Another thing i read about co op is only the hosts game progresses but you get to keep whatever items you find. It's not a shared story due to the dialogue choices. But apparently you can both vote on what dialogue options you choose.

I just read that Techland will be releasing a patch soon to fix motion blur and flickering issues on consoles. For PC there will also be a fix for rebinding the mouse and keyboard binds since right now they can't be rebound unless you do a workaround.

Their main goal is stabilizing co op in a future patch and then I think they are also going to look into the zombie combat physics and ragdolling from what I saw on twitter.

It felt odd playing with a mouse and keyboard because of all the parkour and needing to jump all the time. I'm using my PS5 controller on PC which works perfectly.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Got to the open world part when you can now play coop as well, just playing on the Series X with a controller. Pretty fun game actually. Going to play with a friend tonight. Want to get more moves and weapons stat!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
There's now a mod that brings back some of the ragdoll physics from dying light 1 for the zombie combat. For the most part it works with some caveats where the developer is looking to improve it.

I know Techland said they would investigate the issue on twitter but I'm surprised someone was quickly able to mod that. Hopefully in another patch it can be fixed for good.

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
Finished at about 50 hours, only did side quests at the beginning to power up. It was a perfectly cromulent game but was missing the sense of impending death at night that was in the first one. Melee combat was fun enough, bow was overpowered near the end and stealth was almost nonexistent.

They should have found a way to keep Avellone. The story was not very entertaining, although I don't play these kind of games expecting much in the way of plot.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Finished at about 50 hours, only did side quests at the beginning to power up. It was a perfectly cromulent game but was missing the sense of impending death at night that was in the first one. Melee combat was fun enough, bow was overpowered near the end and stealth was almost nonexistent.

They should have found a way to keep Avellone. The story was not very entertaining, although I don't play these kind of games expecting much in the way of plot.
homer-suspicious.jpg

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Is it true what some people wrote that it is a downgrade from the 1st game?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Is it true what some people wrote that it is a downgrade from the 1st game?
I don't think so it is. The zombie combat physics are not exactly the same. It has some bugs but on PC a good amount have been fixed. Some mechanics for weapons are a bit different. I feel like the human combat is much better. It's nice you can block and parry now.

It could use some more optimization on PC though.

They are still adding patches to the PC version. They are up to version now 1.06 I think the console version may be a little behind.

Reactions: Igo69