DYING LIGHT 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm unsure whether to get this for PC or PS5. I played the first one on PS4 but the story didn't really make me want to continue so I never finished it. This one looks to be a lot more interesting and from what I've seen they have fleshed out some more of the story.

Get it wherever you have a buddy that will co-op it with you. It won't be cross platform when it launches so you can only do co-op with someone on the same platform. Hence why if it's good, I'll get it on XBox.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Get it wherever you have a buddy that will co-op it with you. It won't be cross platform when it launches so you can only do co-op with someone on the same platform. Hence why if it's good, I'll get it on XBox.
Just personal preference, but I couldn't stand playing this game co-op. To me, Dying Light is a single player game if for no other reason than trying to avoid the damn Volatiles at night. It seemed every time we'd go out at night, they'd spot one of us whereas if I went by myself, I never had a problem avoiding them or simply killing them silently.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Unfortunately I don't have friends with either console so I may just end up getting it for PC and play with a controller. For me this is going to be primarily single player.

I'm hoping it sucks me in more than the first game did, because the first one had a crappy story that felt like an enormous never ending fetch quest.

Where the game shined obviously was the crafting and parkour and exploration. I rarely went out at night too.

I'll see how it does on the 4th and I'm hoping it has ultrawide support too. I've been wanting to play something new and I'm glad February has a good lineup including this game, horizon forbidden west, and elden ring.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I rarely went out at night too.
Night is when the game truly shined though. During the day you'd be a one-man parkour army that could just kick zombies into oblivion but at night, you were the one who was hunted. I'd say at least a third of the items given to you in the game are really only useful at night. As for the fetch quests, well, that's kinda the story. You're the errand boy trying to get information and you can't get information without greasing a few wheels, plus in the very beginning one of the Tower's people die trying to save you so you're kinda in their debt.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
for sheetz and giggles I loaded up Dying Light and had forgotten how monstrously annoying all that super mario style bullcrap actually is.

there is not enough skull cracking action to make up for it, either.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Some of the reviews are coming out. Mostly seem to be alright. Gamespot is still in progress but gave it a 6 saying the story is bad and the combat is repetitive vs humans, stealth feels incomplete and some other bugs.

Gamespot also gave BF 2042 and Cyberpunk a 7 lol.

Not that I care much for Gamespot reviews but will be waiting to see what others like ACG say. His review will be out later today.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Some of the reviews are coming out. Mostly seem to be alright. Gamespot is still in progress but gave it a 6 saying the story is bad and the combat is repetitive vs humans, stealth feels incomplete and some other bugs.

Not that I care much for Gamespot reviews but will be waiting to see what others like ACG say.
They never have reviews that are completely off the mark. So if gamespot says its mediocre, it probably is.
Only blind fanboys will say its fantastic.

Reactions: Captante

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
IGN gave it a 7. Mostly because of the bugs and the boring plot.
Keep in mind its still pre-release. The bugs might be fixed by launch day.
Probably not.

Reactions: Captante

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Gamespot is full of idiots who give terrible scores to the greatest games. I dont know about Dying Light 2 but they gave 7 to the 1st one and the 1st deserves at least 9

Reactions: otho11

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
They never have reviews that are completely off the mark. So if gamespot says its mediocre, it probably is.
Well they gave Alien Isolation a 5 and when I played it and finished it I felt like that game deserved more like an 8 or 9. It was an awesome game.

Reactions: otho11

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
Gamespot has published a number of pointlessly biased reviews, hard to take them seriously.

I'm optimistic that Dying Light 2 will be be a very good game even if it falls short of its vision. Moreso if you liked the first one. I was hoping they'd make the weapon upgrades more meaningful.

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Or, and hear me out, people like different things. I'm not narrow-minded enough to based my entire perception of a game purely off a review from someone who got paid to play the game for a few hours before it was even launched. That's just dumb.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
My go to reviewers are ACG and then I'll watch skill up too just to see what he thinks even though I don't agree with skill up a lot.

ACG said he liked it and didn't encounter many bugs in the PC version but it did have some optimization issues. Co op doesn't work properly yet since they didn't have the day 1 patch, since co op now corrupts save files.

He also mentions story is a bit bland though he likes the character choices and where the story goes later.

Skill up didn't like the story much and said it's a long game with a story that just isn't worth the length of the game.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Looks like a decent game that can be a bit too one note and dragged out. Probably would be more fun in co-op having fun with a friend.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I think I'll just watch some streams of that one eventually, but I'll pass; at least for now. If I do buy it (and I highly doubt it) then it'll be in 1 or 2 years after patches and so on (and in some holidays sale too).

I liked the original enough to finish it (base game that is). However, I started the DLC and got bored after maybe 2 or 3 hours in, and I stopped since. But I did sort of enjoy my time with the base game overall. I didn't really care about the story and barely followed it, nor would I recall most of the game's story anyway. So the sequel's story and/or disappointing characters / character chemistry / writing quality / voice acting quality issues I've seen in some reviews wouldn't be much of a problem for me, since even the original didn't 'grab' me much. I still recall one particular moment in the original's story that just basically destroyed the whole immersion I did manage to get out of it (very little though) and I took the game with a giant grain of salt after that one scene (which I won't spoil just in case). It's the only part of the original's story I still recall though, ironically enough.

For me the original game was more about "Just mess around in an open world with zombies / mutants / enemy humans" and that was sort of it. No incentives to return even to the base game after I finished it. I'd have given it a decent 6.5/10, maybe a 7 if I'm being very very generous. It wasn't bad, it's enjoyable but forgettable after one playthrough (or... well, it was, for me). So I really don't mind if I pass for the sequel. If I want a 'zombie' game I'd prefer to just go back to Left 4 Dead or some specific Resident Evils and I'm content with that, to be honest.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Friday Launch...
Already have it preordered...

Just waiting for the new Geforce drivers to release now...

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Another one from gameranx

They also touch on the bad story which was the thing that interested me. Will wait for a sale at this point. February has enough coming out that I'm not going to get wrapped up in it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Friday Launch...
Already have it preordered...

Just waiting for the new Geforce drivers to release now...
Would be interested in user thoughts if you do get to play it soon. I have a gift card for steam but I'm still unsure if I want to purchase this game with it, already knowing story kind of sucks and seems like weapon crafting and a few other items from the previous game are taken out.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
In USA the release is this evening, February 3rd, so expect reviews tonight i guess

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I know you can't play this Xbox to PlayStation.

But what about a PC player with an Xbox series x player?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I know you can't play this Xbox to PlayStation.

But what about a PC player with an Xbox series x player?
Don't think cross platform play is available for this title. So for now its each respective console for coop. Xbox with Xbox, PC with PC, etc.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Sounds like this game is absolutely brutal with RT on and basically AMD cards can kiss RT goodbye while NV cards basically have to have DLSS enabled for RT.

Also heard the RT implementation is better than your average title and there are noticable quality improvements in lighting with RT on. Is this a classic case of "the dev screwed up the raster lighting" or does the game look good without RT but still substantially better with it on?