DX11 questionnaire from nVidia

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Shmee
talking about feature sets, has ATI come up with something that folds well yet? Just wondering.

Yeah, about two years ago.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Originally posted by: uclaLabrat
a supercomputer that lacks an app is nothing but a space heater.

Actually I think they key is a bit smaller - databases, web servers, etc. These are currently done by a lot of top end intel/amd parts - blade farms with very high powered quad cpu's boxes running flat out. If, and this is a big if, someone like oracle was to port their back end server tech to run on Fermi and it worked better, then that is a very big money market. I suspect this is a prime future market for intel and larabee too.

That said the switch would take many years so no short term profit, and by the time it happened Intel and AMD/Ati would have competing parts out and could quite easily nick all the sales.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: konakona
Originally posted by: Keysplayr
Originally posted by: konakona
Originally posted by: Keysplayr
Originally posted by: Astrallite
In other words, NVIDIA innovation: Batman, Arkham Asylum.

Is that all you think they've done in the last 3 years? :D

I see you fold. But I would wager 90%+ of gamers could care less, let alone half of them knowing what it is to begin with. I don't see anyone (read: gamers, the majority that buy these discrete video cards) really putting CUDA to a good use. I guess it's about as useless as DX11 is at this point.

Physx is probably about the only thing that **might** matter, and again at the time being it is far from being the decisive factor to the most.

Nvidia isn't "just" about gaming anymore. And when I say that, it doesn't "lessen" their gaming focus. They sought to augment their product so it could penetrate a much wider market than just gaming. They now practically have a supercomputer on a chip.

You mentioned Batman:AA, and Folding. Millions fold world wide that don't have a clue about gaming either. They just know they can help fight cancer, faster, if they use GPU's in addendum to their CPU's. I'm not going to go through the whole list man. That would take hours. Just visit Nvidia's site in the CUDA section. All I'm sayin is, "It 'aint just Batman and Folding."
I will totally agree with you "now" that gamers won't put CUDA to good use. But Microsoft will "for" them with Win7 and beyond.. Direct Compute. OpenCL. Soon, it may not even be a conscious thing by the user to utilize GPU power.

I am actually quite excited about the their Tegra stuff, probably not alone at that. They should make an i-pod killer with that.

They're excited on the Zune boards.
http://www.zuneboards.com/foru...nvidia-says-tegra.html