DX11 questionnaire from nVidia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
PhysX gets over 90% approval.
http://www.driverheaven.net/po...physx-impress-you.html

3D is where the industry is moving (not just games but movies and even TV)

Not to mention NVIDIA working with game developers to make sure PC gaming works well.

It's why they dominated last generation and probably why they will continue this trend. I think what they said is backed by a lot of facts. Instead of the usual biased opinion that gets thrown around here.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
dguy6789, the monitors aren't to bad, it's just they're expensive for what you get, but they are 100-120hz which is nice. I thought it was stupid at first just walking by it scoffing then I decided to stop and actually try it out and I was pretty impressed. It was REALLY cool on WoW and I wanted to see it for L4D but they didn't have that setup. The nvidia dev I was talking to was telling me L4D is his favorite game to play with it and it really does(to me atleast) seem like it would fit that genre perfectly.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckage

Got anything newer? That was from before even Mirror's Edge came out (ie. there was like 1 or 2 games at that time that used GPU physics). I'd like to see if that same sentiment holds today.

Originally posted by: ronnn
Did someone here really reference a driverheaven poll? :D

I think that same one has been linked before. ;)

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Not to mention NVIDIA working with game developers to make sure PC gaming works well.

It's why they dominated last generation and probably why they will continue this trend. I think what they said is backed by a lot of facts. Instead of the usual biased opinion that gets thrown around here.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that poll I was pretty impressed with physx back then as well,still am actually, but do you have anything newer? Like from this year?

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003

We've had stereoscopic 3d since at least the Geforce 256. It's just one more thing nvidia artificially restricts (and hypes) to make their "feature" set look better.

Apr 20, 2008
Originally posted by: dguy6789
With no dx11 games, NVIDIA still has a huge feature advantage.

There was a DX11 game available from launch of the 5870. (Battleforge)

A poll on this forum proved that people care about Eyefinity much much more than they care about 3D Vision. It wasn't even close. Another poll showed that people also care about DX11 more than PhysX. What features does Nvidia have that ATI doesn't have that people actually want? When it comes to features that both companies have, ATI does it just as good or better(and never worse) with less money out of the consumer's pocket.

It's pretty safe to say ATI has Nvidia beat in features, price, performance, business practices, etc...

This.

He's pretty much hanging on to the same old nothing at this point.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
There's some stuff I wanted to post which I deleted. Instead, all I can say is, what a bunch of FUD by an nVidia employee. While ATI isn't above reproach with their little recent public spats with nVidia, at least some of the stuff they said made sense. Some of what was said in the link was just crazy. Seriously, this is grade school "He said, She said" mudflinging that I would expect to see in a forum, or a Sony employee.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Most of those statements aren't false. Doesn't make 'em any less laughable. I can say a Ford Fiesta 1.2d drives faster than a Porsche 911 on diesel. I sure as hell didn't lie - the supercar wouldn't run on diesel at all... It doesn't change the fact that this comparison has no value at all.

Saying a GTS250 is faster than HD5870 running physics is bullshit. The HD5870 doesn't run PhysX in the first place! It's the CPU that's doing it. The GPU-accelerated physics used in Batman (PhysX) runs ONLY on nVidia hardware... So hello captain obvious! And such a comparison coming from an official nVidia PR person? That's the biggest load of bull I have ever seen.

And incremental changes? HD4870 > HD3870x2... HD5870 => HD4870x2... If by incremental they mean doubling then yeah... such a bad thing.

No drivers for notebooks? WHAT? Is he blind? There's an All Notebooks category in the driver section...

And PhysX is not the most used physics API. That would be Havok. How can he say that with a straight face? And " (...) we are not pushing proprietary standards. We are pushing innovation.". Seriously? What is PhysX then? In one sentence he says that nVidia is pushing their own technology and in another that they're not doing it. This is laughable to say the least. This guy should get fired the moment he arrives at work the next day - if anything, he just made nVidia look like a giant joke.

Apr 20, 2008
Also, stereoscopic 3dvision has already been hacked to use 60hz monitors. That thread must have been deleted as well. It is once again, another broken proprietary feature that nVidia can't control.

What ATI has is real (DX11, Eyefinity, Stream) and the only thing that nVidia truly has is CUDA. (don't get me wrong at all folks, nVidia GPGPU is the future until AMD and Intel can merge their GPUs onto the same die//OpenCL)

Physx, 3dVision, and Batman AA are gimmicks.

Explained, the Agiea PPU was designed to speed up games where CPU's at the time couldn't process calculations as fast. This resulted in high framerates and a lot less jitter. nVidia and developers have become lazy and enabling Physx on even the highest end Nvidia GPU's, games take a significant performance hit. Per Keysplayr's review. nVidia turned something good into crap.

3D Vision is already implemented in some games (Trackmania) and it works great. Why rely on a driver department to implement a feature for all games when developers could implement it in their own engines much better? 3D vision should be a developer's responsibility, not a GPU driver company.

And Batman, oh man, that is nVidia at its best. Too many threads on this.

Stay classy nVidia, stay classy.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007

You're a better propaganda master then Goebbels ever was in the Nazi regime.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Instead of the usual biased opinion that gets thrown around here.

lol thats ironic coming from someone like you

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Scholzpdx
Also, stereoscopic 3dvision has already been hacked to use 60hz monitors. That thread must have been deleted as well. It is once again, another broken proprietary feature that nVidia can't control.

What ATI has is real (DX11, Eyefinity, Stream) and the only thing that nVidia truly has is CUDA. (don't get me wrong at all folks, nVidia GPGPU is the future until AMD and Intel can merge their GPUs onto the same die//OpenCL)

Physx, 3dVision, and Batman AA are gimmicks.

Explained, the Agiea PPU was designed to speed up games where CPU's at the time couldn't process calculations as fast. This resulted in high framerates and a lot less jitter. nVidia and developers have become lazy and enabling Physx on even the highest end Nvidia GPU's, games take a significant performance hit. Per Keysplayr's review. nVidia turned something good into crap.

3D Vision is already implemented in some games (Trackmania) and it works great. Why rely on a driver department to implement a feature for all games when developers could implement it in their own engines much better? 3D vision should be a developer's responsibility, not a GPU driver company.

And Batman, oh man, that is nVidia at its best. Too many threads on this.

Stay classy nVidia, stay classy.

Yes, Nvidia's features suck so badly that everyone who doesn't have the features feels the need to hack drivers to get them. Someone hacked 60Hz monitors for 3DVision. Someone hacked a patch to enable PhysX on an ATI/Nvidia Hybrid system. Someone forced AA in an ATI control panel to get AA, or tried changing a graphics card ID.

Obviously, these are things many people wish to have? PhysX, 3DVision, AA in Batman? If they didn't wish to have them, they wouldn't bother.

Trackmania. How do you know it works great? Or should I say, better than if the GPU vendor implemented it? How many different games have you played using 3DVision?
In fact, how many of you here in this thread have actually tried 3DVision? I see bfdd has.
Anyone else try it and not impressed by it is just blowing the biased smoke. It IS impressive and makes you want to replay or try every game you have. Old and new.

PhysX isn't going anywhere guys/gals. Batman:AA is the best PhysX title out yet.
That porsche/diesel analogy was cute. But to all those who said that the comment of a GTS250 being faster than a 5870, and didn't realize that it was meant to be understood if comparing any PhysX title, instead scream bullshit? hehe. Well, it isn't. I know you all know that it's true when it comes to PhysX games. Can't deny it. Captain obvious statements do not make the situation false.

And AA in Batman. It seem pretty obvious to me, that AMD users wanted to use AA in Batman. It obviously means something to them. AMD didn't seem to want to do the same thing Nvidia did with Eidos. Has anyone written AMD to ask them why they didn't? Sure, you can get AA by either forcing it in the CCC, or changing an ID, but why should you have to? But no, blame is shifted immediately to the bigger company for not enabling it to their smaller competition. WTF? :D

I'm very surprised that most of you do not think Nvidia has anything at all worthwhile feature wise over AMD's offerings. That just doesn't make sense.
Eyefinity is pretty cool for anything but gaming IMHO. DX11 isn't really a feature advantage for AMD, as Fermi is DX11 as well. And Stream? Compared to CUDA? Please guys, really?

Griswold

Dec 24, 2004
This day started pretty bleak but then the sun came up thanks to this thread - its amazing what a good laugh can do for your mood! That two of the three greenest fanboys around here keep adding to it is just the icing on the cake. :D

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Griswold
This day started pretty bleak but then the sun came up thanks to this thread - its amazing what a good laugh can do for your mood! That two of the three greenest fanboys around here keep adding to it is just the icing on the cake. :D

It's funny that you should say that in a thread dripping with red? Hey! It's funny for me to.
:thumbsup:
Seriously though, everyone should be able to have an opinion without slinging the fanboy smack around. Right?

Apr 20, 2008
Keys, your green is so apparent i dont know where to begin. Luckly i'm posting from my phone atm.

First off, people hacked those features because they are not actually nVidia-only features. If they hacked it then obviously it's just a fake proprietary standard. Physx can be run on a CPU without issue, 3D just takes a driver installed. and getting everything back in a game where features nVidia paid it to be taken out? its bullshit. The Unreal Engine over the past year, including mods support AA in DX9 and 10. i have no clue where you guys have been.

Also, everyone is agreeing nVidia is full of crap lately is because they are. Fake cards, fake demo, being beaten hard by ati's 5870. Literally all of the forum besides you and the minority green crew have now seen how horrible nVidia has been to the industry as of late. the only cards that even make sense in its pricepoint is the GTS 260. every price bracket there is a faster performing, more capable ATI product.

You are suprised most of us dont think nVidia doesn't have better offerings feature-wise over ATI? I guess you aren't doing your job well enough
And if you cant see how ridiculous that pr statement was, i can not fathom how blind you are towards a recently terrible company. You can defend them as much as you want, but it wont mean anything. all of us are consumers besides you. we see them at actual face value for what they are doing to pc gaming and it isn't good. enjoy those free video cards. they have to make believers somehow.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Keysplayr
AMD didn't seem to want to do the same thing Nvidia did with Eidos. Has anyone written AMD to ask them why they didn't?

Is this really the case or just the nVidia talking point. Was it a driectX solution or a nVidia specific solution? You failed to answer my points in the other thread, yet you continue to bring this up in attempt to blame AMD.

It's like a "death panel" in the health care debate.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Keys, your green is so apparent i dont know where to begin. Luckly i'm posting from my phone atm.

First off, people hacked those features because they are not actually nVidia-only features. If they hacked it then obviously it's just a fake proprietary standard. Physx can be run on a CPU without issue, 3D just takes a driver installed. and getting everything back in a game where features nVidia paid it to be taken out? its bullshit. The Unreal Engine over the past year, including mods support AA in DX9 and 10. i have no clue where you guys have been.

Also, everyone is agreeing nVidia is full of crap lately is because they are. Fake cards, fake demo, being beaten hard by ati's 5870. Literally all of the forum besides you and the minority green crew have now seen how horrible nVidia has been to the industry as of late. the only cards that even make sense in its pricepoint is the GTS 260. every price bracket there is a faster performing, more capable ATI product.

You are suprised most of us dont think nVidia doesn't have better offerings feature-wise over ATI? I guess you aren't doing your job well enough
And if you cant see how ridiculous that pr statement was, i can not fathom how blind you are towards a recently terrible company. You can defend them as much as you want, but it wont mean anything. all of us are consumers besides you. we see them at actual face value for what they are doing to pc gaming and it isn't good. enjoy those free video cards. they have to make believers somehow.

When you are quite through with your accusational bias and diatribe, I'm willing to have a friendly and civilized conversation. If you wish. I do my job just fine thanks. Everyday. I go out and do market valuations for real estate. Nothing to do with computers. This is a hobby, much like it is for you. You can't win arguments by constantly accusing others of marketing or their preferences dude. So, what's it going to be? Civilized? Or not?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Schmide
AMD didn't seem to want to do the same thing Nvidia did with Eidos. Has anyone written AMD to ask them why they didn't?

Is this really the case or just the nVidia talking point. Was it a driectX solution or a nVidia specific solution? You failed to answer my points in the other thread, yet you continue to bring this up in attempt to blame AMD.

It's like a "death panel" in the health care debate.

How is it an Nvidia talking point? Eidos states that this actually transpired.
And I still don't see the difference between a DirectX solution and a Nvidia specific solution.
Nvidia did the work regardless of either situation. You feel that if it was a DirectX standard that it should be enabled across all hardware. Why? Nvidia put the resources in, AMD did not. They could have easily. I don't blame them directly, they maybe didn't have the extra money to do this. I have no idea what the real reason is, which is why I suggested somebody who cares to write to AMD and ask, should. It would be nice to have an answer to "that" question.

Apr 20, 2008
don't pull that friendly card after I reply to your pr mess.

this is civilized. there is no mud slinging or the likes, it is truth. if you dont like it then dont post that content without expecting to be challenged.

everything I said was true. there is no accusations and your preference is obviously stated in your signature. you dont just become a focus group member out of nowhere. you are essentially nVidia PR relay. if you dont like others pointing that out, well too bad. you are what you chose to be. it obviously influences all of your content posted in this forum. i am not the only one who sees your fake ati praises, because after everything you ever say about them you just slam the hell out of it with your obvious marketing.

it's true.

Apr 20, 2008
and keys, wow. AA is a native feature IN ALL UT games as of late. nVidia didn't do shit besides lock it out and force physx with their wallet. yeah nVidia would help out with that.

be gone with that nonsense!

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
How is it an Nvidia talking point? Eidos states that this actually transpired.

NVidia and Eidos have generally been busted by the community and are scrambling for excuses. Most people regardless of their affiliation understand the full truth has yet to come out. When you repeat their excuses without adding any perspective, it looks like a talking point.

And I still don't see the difference between a DirectX solution and a Nvidia specific solution.

I really don't want to explain it again. You should have answered me in the other thread. Go back and read it if you're still having trouble.

Nvidia did the work regardless of either situation. You feel that if it was a DirectX standard that it should be enabled across all hardware. Why?

As Microsoft says, rendering decisions should be made by the CAPS bits not the vendor string! Edios knows this, nVidia knows this, AMD knows this, you should know this by now.

Nvidia put the resources in, AMD did not.

No they both put out the resources working with Microsoft and producing DirectX compatible cards.

They could have easily. I don't blame them directly, they maybe didn't have the extra money to do this. I have no idea what the real reason is, which is why I suggested somebody who cares to write to AMD and ask, should. It would be nice to have an answer to "that" question.

I've seen a lot of crap thrown at AMD for inaction.

Is it the norm to enable HDR/MSAA only when card companies get involved or the exception?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
*****snippety*********

And AA in Batman. It seem pretty obvious to me, that AMD users wanted to use AA in Batman. It obviously means something to them. AMD didn't seem to want to do the same thing Nvidia did with Eidos. Has anyone written AMD to ask them why they didn't? Sure, you can get AA by either forcing it in the CCC, or changing an ID, but why should you have to? But no, blame is shifted immediately to the bigger company for not enabling it to their smaller competition. WTF? :D

******snippery***********

According to Ian Mcnaughton (AMD / ATI Senior Product Guy) they did provide the devs with help but it wasn't put in the final product. He hints that this is because it was a TWIMTBP title.

Whether you believe him is up to you I guess.

....sorry about the snippage, didn't want to get into all that.......

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
and keys, wow. AA is a native feature IN ALL UT games as of late. nVidia didn't do shit besides lock it out and force physx with their wallet. yeah nVidia would help out with that.

be gone with that nonsense!

Does all games include Batman:AA?

Look guys, you all seem way too angry. Are you going to calm down or not?

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone else try it and not impressed by it is just blowing the biased smoke. It IS impressive and makes you want to replay or try every game you have. Old and new.
Isn't that a matter of personal opinion? Not everybody is necessarily going to be impressed by the exact same things as you.

PhysX isn't going anywhere guys/gals.
At least we can agree on one thing. PhysX isn't going anywhere at the moment, especially now that they've locked out a good percentage of their potential audience.

That porsche/diesel analogy was cute.
And was totally accurate.

But to all those who said that the comment of a GTS250 being faster than a 5870, and didn't realize that it was meant to be understood if comparing any PhysX title, instead scream bullshit? hehe. Well, it isn't. I know you all know that it's true when it comes to PhysX games. Can't deny it. Captain obvious statements do not make the situation false.
Not, but it doesn't make Ujesh Desai's claim any less laughable, either.

And AA in Batman. It seem pretty obvious to me, that AMD users wanted to use AA in Batman. It obviously means something to them. AMD didn't seem to want to do the same thing Nvidia did with Eidos. Has anyone written AMD to ask them why they didn't?
What, you mean pay developers to artifically cut features from their competitors card? Nvidia seems to be the only one around sinking that low. Besides, who would want that kind of bad publicity once word got out to the gaming community?

Sure, you can get AA by either forcing it in the CCC, or changing an ID, but why should you have to? But no, blame is shifted immediately to the bigger company for not enabling it to their smaller competition. WTF? :D
They didn't have to "enable" anything, they chose to "disable" it. Big difference.

I'm very surprised that most of you do not think Nvidia has anything at all worthwhile feature wise over AMD's offerings. That just doesn't make sense.
Eyefinity is pretty cool for anything but gaming IMHO. DX11 isn't really a feature advantage for AMD, as Fermi is DX11 as well. And Stream? Compared to CUDA? Please guys, really?
Maybe people are just getting fed up with all the BS Nvidia has been pulling lately.