DVDShrink results suck. Am I doing something wrong or is everyone else blind?!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
For those of you bitching about DVD Shrink, have you tried creating a backup with a bare minimum of data?

When you're dealing with a medium that's only 1/2 the size of the original, SOMETHING has to give. You can't keep all the extras/trailers/menus/audio tracks & expect to keep your video quality. The sacrifice is in video quality, since that's the only thing that can really benefit from compression.

1) Make sure you use the in-depth analysis
2) Use the re-author feature
3) Eliminate all but one audio track (DTS or DD)
4) Eliminate all menus, trailers, closed captioning, etc.

All the DVD's I've copied using the re-author function have turned out quite good, & I'm a picky bastard when it comes to video/audio quality.

The root problem is that current single layer DVD media is not adequate for backing up long movies. This is not DVDShrink's fault. There are programs which may do a better job of re-compression, but you pay for it. You can buy alternate JPG plugins for PhotoShop that produce far better results than the standard JPG function in PS, but the plug in is expensive.

Viper GTS