DVDShrink results suck. Am I doing something wrong or is everyone else blind?!

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
OK, I've had several examples now.

First, Cowboy Bebop The Movie
Second, The Missing
Third, Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories"

When I got Cowboy Bebop, I thought it would be the perfect movie to test DVD Shrink with. After all, animation with re-used cells and large areas of simplistic colors and detail should compress easily, leaving ample room for compression of fast-motion high-detail scenes. Because it was my first use of DVD Shrink, I set it to "automatic."

When the DVD menu plays on the finished copy, you are "treated" to the worst video degradation I have ever seen. It is a fast-motion flyby with many up-close (AKA, full-screen) detailed objects. I understand that it was low-priority because it was not part of the actual movie, so I let the actual movie play. First thing I noticed were the speckly grainy low-quality JPEG-like artifacts wherever a color met a line or angle. Reviewing the original movie showed none of this. It wasn't just because I was viewing it on a VGA monitor. Playback on TV with progressive-scan only made it more apparent.

So I made a second copy, this time secifically telling it to make everything optional a "slide-show" with no audio, removing all additional audio tracks and coming VERY close to fitting the entire movie on one DVD without compression. VERY close, but not quite so I still had to set it to slightly recompress the main movie. If only it would let me replace all trailers and extras with a single-screen "Not Available" message. Anyway, the results looked the exact same as the previous attempt, despite dedicating nearly the entire 4.7GB DVD to the feature.

Then comes The Missing. Almost all of the extras were on a scond disc, leaving only a few trailers on the movie disc. I removed as much as possible and made them all silent slide-show. It was a pretty long movie, so it still wouldn't fit without recompressing the feature movie. I tried it, and saw seemingly acceptable results. I watched for a few minutes, then decided to fast-forward to a scene with a blue-sky and horizon. Ack. You couldn't miss the artifacting even if you weren't looking for it and didn't previously know it was a copied disc. Granted, I have seen worse in ACTUAL DVDs (The Postman's sky scenes were so bad I almost returned it to Wal-Mart to get my $5.88 back but then a friend asked me to give it to him. Very bad encoding problem.).

Then I tried Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories." I knew better than to waste a disc by this point. Sure enough, no matter how I configured it the single-disc images looked bad when mounted and played as a real disc. Because Memories is a collection of three different short-films, it was easy to seperate the three shortfilms uncompressed onto two DVDs (Just like episodic DVDs/Television series DVDs). Of course, that was fine because DVD Shrink didn't touch the features.

Each time I bring this up in other forums, I'm attacked by a wave of people saying that there is no perceptable loss of quality. I have VERY bad eyesight and yet DVD Shrink always renders eye-sores for me (Very near-sighted in one eye, far sighted in the other, legally blind in my left "weak" eye, red/green color blind, etc). However, the sheer number of people claiming that "it's just you" seems to validate their claims. Has anyone else been as underwhelmed as I have? Is the vast majority playing back their copies on interlaced 13" 4:3 displays (Even then, the kind of artifacts I see in blue sky scenes would be painfully apparent)? How could one NOT notice the difference?! It's not that I don't know how to use the program.

I've just started archiving my DVDs uncompressed on my fileserver. There should be enough space there until dual-layered drives and media are released and fall significantly in price. I hate to say it, but DVD Shrink's inadequacy is what forces me to resort to that.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
DVD Shrink sucks. The Big3 Method is the best, but of course everytime I bring this up all the ignorant little fanboys try to rip on me.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: IBuyUFO
what is the big 3 method?

Its a quality DVD backup method. This will show you how to backup most DVDs with the method. Also, tons more info on doom9.org (the premier DVD, divx, mpeg, tv capture site on the web).

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
No DVD Shrink does not suck. I have very good back-ups of ALL my DVD's using DVD Shrink, including all of the extras. All look and play phenomenally.

edit: You may have bad media. Have you tried watching your rip's from your hard drive before burning?

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Originally posted by: aircooled
No DVD Shrink does not suck. I have very good back-ups of ALL my DVD's using DVD Shrink, including all of the extras. All look and play phenomenally.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

I'll second that.
If you take 15 seconds to look through the menus and sound you can usually save a decent amount of space which can go towards making the video of higher quality.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004

And thus, it begins. Fanboy #1. :)

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3

I'll second that.
If you take 15 seconds to look through the menus and sound you can usually save a decent amount of space which can go towards making the video of higher quality.

Fanboy #2.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Maybe they're not fanboys and actually get different results than you, find it easier, and thus support the program? Does that make people fanboys? Or is that just some support for the idea that some people view things differently than others?

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Dissipate

Sounds like your a Big3 fanboy :)

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Legendary
Maybe they're not fanboys and actually get different results than you, find it easier, and thus support the program? Does that make people fanboys? Or is that just some support for the idea that some people view things differently than others?

They just don't understand that there is a higher quality method. Its a fundamental difference between being a casual user and a power user.

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

Sounds like your a Big3 fanboy :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If I recall correct, it seriously compressess menus because they really aren't critical to the movie. I've seen it go down to something like 40% on some menus before.

Personally, I don't care about menus and features because I just want to watch a movie. So, I usually do a reauthor and cut it right at the start and right after the credits. I dump out any unnecessary commentary and extra soundtracks. Usually gets me a very high quality rip.

I could do a blind test amongst friends and none of them could tell which one was the original and which one was the copy.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

I'll second that.

Fanboy #2.

Are you going to call everyone a fanboy who disagrees with you? It's pretty obvious who the fanboy is here.
The OP suggested that DVD Shrink does not backup DVDs properly, my own experience tells me otherwise. I simply related said experience.
What, pray tell, is wrong with that?
Do everyone here a favor and stop posting in this thread, you're doing nothing more than stirring up a flamewar and I'll have no part of it. You've had your say now let others have theirs.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
DVD Shrink sucks. The Big3 Method is the best, but of course everytime I bring this up all the ignorant little fanboys try to rip on me.

dvd snob #1.

name calling is a great way to get your point across, isnt' it?

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004

I'll second that.

Fanboy #2.

Are you going to call everyone a fanboy who disagrees with you? It's pretty obvious who the fanboy is here.
The OP suggested that DVD Shrink does not backup DVDs properly, my own experience tells me otherwise. I simply related said experience.
Do everyone here a favor and stop posting in this thread, you're doing nothing more than stirring up a flamewar and I'll have no part of it. You've had your say now let others have theirs.

I call anyone a fanboy who doesn't seek out a better method because they are too attached to "their" product. A fanboy is someone who hangs on to a product even when its not the best.

Funny thing is I have sat in #doom9 on IRC and watched more than one person come in and complain about the low quality of DVD Shrink and other crappy methods.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I only use Shrink when the movie needs 10-15% compression. Otherwise, I would use something else. A lot of movies fit fine as long as you keep just the movie and one soundtrack. I have a 51" HDTV and I think that most of the Shrink DVD's look just fine.
I saw a shootout a while back that said Intervideo DVD Copy is the best. They had captures to show just how bad many of the transcoders were.

I started off using the Ifoedit/CCE/Scenarist method but shrink is a great time saver and as long as you stay above 85%, you won't see a difference.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: iamme

dvd snob #1.

name calling is a great way to get your point across, isnt' it?

Bu-but... Don't you understand? He's right and everyone else is wrong!
rolleye.gif

As I said earlier, it's pretty obvious who the fanboy is here.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Originally posted by: IBuyUFO
what is the big 3 method?

Its a quality DVD backup method. This will show you how to backup most DVDs with the method. Also, tons more info on doom9.org (the premier DVD, divx, mpeg, tv capture site on the web).

after reading that 5 page tutorial, that probably is the best way to back up dvds but that's just what they are...backups. I already own the perfect original copy. I don't want to have to spend a ton of time making a back up that I'll probably never watch, just want to have in the event of a freak accident that causes the original to not work anymore.

DVDshrink I can compress all the extras and menus to the max usually resulting in very little compression loss on the actual movie. Then I hit backup and then copy with Nero and I have my backup. Surprisingly, I can't really tell the difference between the really compressed extras/the not so compressed movie and the actual original movie when I compare them in my dvd player and watch it on a 36" TV.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I'm not disputing that you can achieve better quality DVD copy's. I'm just saying that DVD Shrink does work and the copy's are very good and very watchable. It's a one step solution that delivers very good results.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

I'll second that.

Fanboy #2.

I call anyone a fanboy who doesn't seek out a better method because they are too attached to "their" product. A fanboy is someone who hangs on to a product even when its not the best.

Funny thing is I have sat in #doom9 on IRC and watched more than one person come in and complain about the low quality of DVD Shrink and other crappy methods.

Ok, that clears things up, you're a troll then.
How the FVCK do you know that I haven't "sought out a better method because I'm too attached to "my" product"?
I happen to have several DVD backup/encoding/authoring programs and I have found that DVD Shrink is the quickest and least painful of them all.
If I have a lot of DVDs to backup I'm not going to go through some 10-stop process using 5 different programs to get something that's only marginally better quality, which takes twice the time.
Get over yourself. Fvcking video elitist... You're the worst of all techies because you don't actually know anything other than how to use a program.
Come back to me when you write an article on CPU architecture just to kill time, then we'll see whose internet penis is larger
rolleye.gif

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001

I drive a Honda but I know there are better alternatives out there. Because I don't go out and buy a BMW or Lexus, does that make me a Honda fanboy? By your definition it does. Maybe I'm just happy with my Honda. I know, it's a crazy thought for you that might be hard to comprehend troll