Duke Nukem Forever on Steam

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
With all the taping you have to do and the visuals of the game. I am really surprised this didn't get ported to the Wii. They could add some hilarious um uh gestures. :p

Plus the Zapper is awesome with The Conduit & Goldeneye. :)

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
The graphics are decent and it is long enough for a modern game. Your quest for the stripper parodies the pointless quests so popular in modern FPS games; same with puzzles ("I hate pipe puzzles", Duke says). It manages to lampoon every FPS i can think of including itself and it does it well. In this way, it has its own kind of originality.^_^

That was actually "I hate valve puzzles". A double entendre.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
That was actually "I hate valve puzzles". A double entendre.
Thank-you for reminding me of that. There are some excellent comments.
On what criteria do you consider Bulletstorm a failure?
EDIT:

The story. Without a doubt.

And ... it totally sucks in S3D.

^_^

- The gameplay is dull.
- The boss fights are tedious and boring.
- The graphics are last-gen.
- The controls are sloppy.
- The quick-time events are vomit-inducing.
-Gameplay was not dull; it was as varied as any other shooter
-Some of the bosses in DNF were definitely cool; i like ripping out their pipes; figuring out how to kill the Queen was a change.
-Graphics are decent. Nothing special.
-Controls are precise for me. No issues,
-No idea what you are talking about in quick time events.

Last edited:

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
The story. The most disappointing ending - ever. It never met a single goal as laid out in the introduction. It was a treasure hunt with no treasure. We were going to open the vault, remember? :p

And ... it totally sucks in S3D.

Ummm....if you're playing Bulletstorm for the story you're bound to be disappointed.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Ummm....if you're playing Bulletstorm for the story you're bound to be disappointed.
i edited my previous post.

But definitely the story is bad in Bulletstorm. You play a drunk seeking redemption and in the process make all sorts of completely insane decisions. i also wondered who the hero's girlfriend really was - not the girl :p

The worst ending goes to Borderlands.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I tried to play the DNF demo with an open mind, but I thought is was a let down.

Having to look for ammo piles in the boss fight was rather lame.

The controls of the truck were poor. I felt that the truck section lacked something, like maybe a machine gun mounted to the truck. In half-life there is gun mounted to the boat, and in borderlands there is either a rocket launcher or machine gun mounted to the car. So not having some kind of weapon on the truck in DNF felt rather lame and weak.

I was so disappointed with the demo that I will not be buying the full game.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Whine whine whine. You spend 2 seconds in the truck and it's not hard to figure out. Just like anything else, spend a moment learning to use what you're given. I had absolutely no problems with the truck. Loved it, really.

Not having a weapon in the truck? The weapon IS the truck, tard! You run people over. Space bar to turn on a dime.

Holy shit. It's like people are complaining that a nickel is not a penny.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
this game is awesome! we have it on a 42" flatscreen in a small livingroom. we sit pretty close and have a loud home theater sound system. its a blast! love all the adult humor, its definitely not a kids game! (THANK GOD)

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
this game is awesome! we have it on a 42" flatscreen in a small livingroom. we sit pretty close and have a loud home theater sound system. its a blast! love all the adult humor, its definitely not a kids game! (THANK GOD)

Yeah it is, its not a little kids game but the humour seems designed for pimply faced teenagers.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Crass, un-funny and dated humor, 10 year old graphics, sub-indie grade sound, indie level maps aside..the game just isn't fun and ultimately that's why it sucks.

This was my experience coming in with basically no expectations, I tried very hard to be objective but you cannot escape the facts.

This game is complete shit.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
after I complete alice, i'll go hit up duke again.. but then I still have L.A. Noire and Killzone 3 to complete...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I agree with 7/10, decent game and all Duke. I'm enjoying it.

That is ultimately what i gave it in my review. In S3D it deserved a B- ... a half-point elevation for making the game that much more immersive where it counts.

And it took me way longer to write this review than i expected. i am totally rusty; i didn't realize that it has been nearly two years since i wrote my last game review
:p

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Finally a demo on Steam.

Also, 54 on Metacritic which is extremely bad. For various reasons everything on there is always very overrated. Publishers buy ratings, dumb fanboys give mediocre games 10/10 (and yes I am talking about the professional reviewers) and they normally seem to dump the low end of the reviews they get.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Finally a demo on Steam.

Also, 54 on Metacritic which is extremely bad. For various reasons everything on there is always very overrated. Publishers buy ratings, dumb fanboys give mediocre games 10/10 (and yes I am talking about the professional reviewers) and they normally seem to dump the low end of the reviews they get.
Yes and in this case, the low rating is way skewed and overblown like a dogpile.

There are a lot of people who jumped on the DNF Hate bandwagon without playing more than the demo; or else going in with sky-high expectations after waiting 14 years. i'd be bitter too - if i took the delays seriously.
it is a decent game.
- i gave it 7/10

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I had no expectations.

I give it a 2/10. Mostly for not having horrid graphics and loading up quickly.
Feel sorry for the console users who gotta wait 10 minutes a pop for load times.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I had no expectations.

I give it a 2/10. Mostly for not having horrid graphics and loading up quickly.
Feel sorry for the console users who gotta wait 10 minutes a pop for load times.
A two (2)?

You mean Absolutely Awful. A terrible game. In other words, MUCH worse than George Romero's Daikatana (for example) or Clive Barker's Jericho would be a shining star compared to DNF in your book - from what i gather from a 2 score.

Do you play the full game to the end?

i gave DNF a C plus; you are giving it an F. That is a pretty big disparity. What made it an abject failure for you?
:\

Last edited:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
anyone beat the game yet?
i played it though to beat the End Boss, if that is what you mean.

DNF is not a hard game nor is it very long. i had fun. i don't get any straight answer from anyone who actually played it (for more than a few minutes) what they don't like about it (other than its humor, which is juvenile).

Last edited:

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
i played it though to beat the End Boss, if that is what you mean.

DNF is not a hard game nor is it long. i had fun. i don't get any straight answer from anyone who actually played it (for more than a few minutes) what they don't like about it (other than its humor, which is juvenile).

i

Assuming you're not talking to pirates, they're probably mostly just miffed they paid (near) full price for it. Fair or not, that drastically effects impressions.

At $50, most people aren't going to be satisfied with anything less than a B to B plus kind of game.

I sure wouldn't be.