Duke Nukem Forever - 2001 build leaked

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
For all those die-hard Duke fans like myself... Great and fascinating news in the recent few days... I can still remember, after being blown away by Duke3D, how eager I followed every piece of information regarding Duke Nukem Forever... In print magazines for the most part... Those were the days :D The first screenshots, and then the Q2 engine based trailer... Long silence, and then the glorious E3 2001 trailer... I couldn't wait for this game to arrive! But unfortunately, it never released... And when 3D Realms went downhill in 2009, all hope was lost. Gearbox picking was unexpected, but what they delivered, well, let's not talk about this. I always looked back to the E3 2001 trailer and thought: Why didn't they complete that version back then?

But then I saw this, a few days ago...

Fascinating! And now it is really out there... Not the promised game from back then, of course. But a lot of content, and who knows what will become of this, after everybody interested could get the files? Exciting times! Under normal circumstances I would instantly check it out (I've of course secured a copy of everything), but my system is currently helping in the BOINC pentathlon, so no way of doing so.

In their forums under Duke Nukem Forever General Discussion are two threads regarding the leak in general and one with specifics and instructions on how to run it. (I'm not linking anything, but I'm pretty sure anyone who's interested will find it)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I would have bought it. Damned shame it became synonymous with vaporware. Look how many of us bought Doom 3 when it released. I don't think there was any way it was going to flop. Certainly, there was no chance of it living up to the hype. But neither was it going to be Daikatana.

I did a playthrough of Bulletstorm as the Duke a few months back, it scratched the itch. Worth a playthrough if you missed it.

Reactions: voodoo5_6k

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Yeah, I had a long standing preorder for this... Unfortunately, it never got fulfilled... Will be interesting to see what will follow after this leak though. Maybe it even was a publicity stunt to check check out this IP's remaining market potential. And it still has a lot in it, I'd say. Like you said, it wouldn't have flopped back then, and it wouldn't now. Hell, even the 2001/2002 version would sell great, if they were to finish it up now properly. I'd take it. Maybe, something's possible, with the Duke IP under new management... Well, time will tell. For now, I'm excited!

PS: Thanks for the Bulletstorm tip, will have a look.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
was that on the Valve engine?!?

(i did play some of the 2011 game, i thought it was pretty decent for a duke nukem game, had the right kind of spirit)

Reactions: sandorski

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
@voodoo5_6k

You want Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition.

Make certain it includes the Duke Nukem Tour. You can get the Steam key off Ebay for under $6, that's where I bought it.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Its funny if the OG Duke Nukem Forever sat around long enough for "boomer shooters" and the whole shooter revival thing to crop up and make the original version of the game relevant again.

Would be a helluva thing for a team to put the remaining bits of this thing together and get it out there as a sort of "indie masterpiece" :p

Jul 27, 2020

Be aware that if you do obtain this build, you would be playing something cursed.

He's pissed!

By the way, Powerslave looks worth trying out. No idea how I missed it in my youth when I would play through almost any FPS.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
There are videos of it on Youtube. It's...okay. It has some cool features but the graphics and levels are not that impressive for a 2001 game. The levels remind me a bit of No One Lives Forever, but that was a much better game.

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
You'll have to keep in mind that is pre-beta. And although the E3 2001 trailer did not devastate in terms of graphics like e.g. Crysis did, this is not what gaming is about, ain't it (at least not for me, it's story & gameplay first)? The trailer did make it look like a very interesting game and certainly provided the Duke vibe, making it seem like a worthy Duke3D successor. I'm pretty sure that Duke fans would have been pleased if the 2001 version had been finished up and released back then.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001