Duke Nukem 3d Multiplayer - why wasn't it copied?

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Specifically, the laser trip mines and the holodukes. Both of these things made the multiplayer alot better but they have never become popular. The only other game i've seen with something like a trip mine is the proximity mine in GOldeneye, and I dont care for console games. No game I've come across has used something like the holoduke at all. Some games have used jetpacks but even that seems to have died off. I think multiplayer FPS would be better if they brought these back.

Zahriya

Oct 20, 2004
It's funny you should start a thread about this, because a few friends of mine and I were talking about this exact thing the other day. We would spend litteraly the whole day playing a Lan MP game on Duke Nukem. The game was just falt out awesome. Best FPS game in terms of fun game play. The trip bombs, and Holoduke were great. It would be nice to "bring back" something like this.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Half-life and Jedi Knight I both had trip/proximity mines. Tribes and I guess BF1942 Secret Weapons (2142 too?) had jetpacks... Ya, non of them are popular though. Learning curve related?

Screw the above though, I want some sticky bomb: "Sticky bomb likey you!". And mini-nukes, how can you lose?

Zahriya

Oct 20, 2004
I could be mistaken, but wasn't 3drealms working on a DukeNukem 4 or something like Duke 4 Ever? That could be the answer to your question.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Zahriya
I could be mistaken, but wasn't 3drealms working on a DukeNukem 4 or something like Duke 4 Ever? That could be the answer to your question.

Yes, for 8 years, Duke Nukem Forever. Appropriate title IMO.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
This isn't about duke nukem 4ever.

Team Fortress 2 with its over the top cartoonishness reminded me of Duke 3d and I just remembered ho much fun the holoduke and trip mines used to be, and using a holoduke to lure somebody into a trip mine with a million pipe bombs thrown everywhere and watching the explosion from a window.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I was hated for setting trip bombs the most annoying places :evil:

The shrink ray was also lots of fun. It seems like the game developers don't think very much out of the box but rather just copy other games. Not many "fun" shooters out these days, TF2 seems to break this trend so maybe more will follow TF2.

Zahriya

Oct 20, 2004
I havent played TF2 yet...is the fun factor there? Are there trip bombs and other gadgets to be used? My friends and I moved on to TF after duke became played out, maybe I should give TF 2 a go around.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
I remember this game, where you could throw shurikens, and you could chop around with a samurai sword. Anyone know the name? I'm pretty sure it came out roughly at the same time as duke nukem 3d and red alert. Since you all know Duke Nukem 3d I figured ya'll might know this game too. A friend of mine had it, along with a lot of other games, and he actually got me into gaming, when I was around 11-12 years old ... And I want to know the name of that game :p

Zahriya

Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
I remember this game, where you could throw shurikens, and you could chop around with a samurai sword. Anyone know the name? I'm pretty sure it came out roughly at the same time as duke nukem 3d and red alert. Since you all know Duke Nukem 3d I figured ya'll might know this game too. A friend of mine had it, along with a lot of other games, and he actually got me into gaming, when I was around 11-12 years old ... And I want to know the name of that game :p

Hmmm...are you talking about Shadow Warrior? Red Alert is the most classic game of all time. Loved it.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Man, Duke3D and Shadow Warrior are great games. I'd play them today with friends if I could.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
SHADOW WARRIOR !!! Thanks zahriya, ya know for old time's sake, I'm going to see if I can download it somewhere or find it in a bargain bin someplace.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
learning curve is a possibility, when new players encounter situations where they seem to blow up at random they might just get pissed off an leave...

however that wasn't much of a problem in Goldeneye because you'd be playing with your friends right there and they could tell you what happened.

Now that you mention it, those mines in Goldeneye really were a ton of fun...the timed mines weren't anything too great but the remote mines and proximity mines sure make for some dynamic gameplay.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Imp
Half-life and Jedi Knight I both had trip/proximity mines. Tribes and I guess BF1942 Secret Weapons (2142 too?) had jetpacks... Ya, non of them are popular though. Learning curve related?

Screw the above though, I want some sticky bomb: "Sticky bomb likey you!". And mini-nukes, how can you lose?

Did you ever play blood? Proximity TNT, remote TNT, a sentry turrent...that game was a blast...and every weapon was just insanely overpowered.

"Sticky bomb...a-meet mistar stupid!"

God that game was terrible (the racist stereo type character I mean), but it did have a few neat gimmicks.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
This isn't about duke nukem 4ever.

Team Fortress 2 with its over the top cartoonishness reminded me of Duke 3d and I just remembered ho much fun the holoduke and trip mines used to be, and using a holoduke to lure somebody into a trip mine with a million pipe bombs thrown everywhere and watching the explosion from a window.

This was my favorite....FAVORITE trip mine trap. There's an elevator in e1l1 that goes up to the arcade that has a wall across from its exit at the top. There's pretty much room for 3 trip mines on that wall that will cover the entire elevator area. So I put two on the wall, leaving the right side open. Then, I would bait some one into following me and "run away wounded" up the elevator. By going flush against the right side I would escape the trap I set up. And the guy following me would come up, in the center, like most people do and die.

Pro-tip: If they figure out you're using the right side...switch to the left for even greater hilarity!

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Pipe bombs, shrinking ray, ice beam, steroids (Flash-like speed, plus it could negate the effects of the shrinking ray)... good times.

Now it's "machine gun, slightly better machine gun, plasma gun, and maybe another pistol." Duke had those too, but at least it added on the FUN weapons of the above.

Zahriya

Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Pro-tip: If they figure out you're using the right side...switch to the left for even great hilarity!

Moments like these made Duke great. At the end of playing we would sit another 30minutes just laughing it up and talking about stupid tricks like these. Great stuff.

Originally posted by: Shadowknight
Pipe bombs, shrinking ray, ice beam, steroids (Flash-like speed, plus it could negate the effects of the shrinking ray)... good times.

Now it's "machine gun, slightly better machine gun, plasma gun, and maybe another pistol." Duke had those too, but at least it added on the FUN weapons of the above.

QFT

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Perfect Dark Zero for 360 has proximity mines and holograms in MP, fwiw..

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Zahriya
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Pro-tip: If they figure out you're using the right side...switch to the left for even great hilarity!

Moments like these made Duke great. At the end of playing we would sit another 30minutes just laughing it up and talking about stupid tricks like these. Great stuff.

Yeah, I remember having almost as much fun after playing the game as I did playing it. Used to play it over a serial connection two player, until some one dragged a crappy 486/66 over and I bought a 10baseT hub for 3 player action!

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Shadowwarrior (which used the same 3d engine as Duke) had even more elaborate MP elements which made the game totally hilarious in deathmatch.

Trip mines..
Remote detonation mines..
caltrops.. it was so hilarious to kill someone with caltrops..
Nuclear warhead - blow up half the map.. absolutely hilarious

That game kept me laughing my ass off..