Dueling Town Halls

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I've seen Savannah Guthrie plenty of times on TV, but I guess I've never seen her do an interview. She's at the Morley Safer & Mike Wallace level, top tier.

Donnie, OTOH, didn't even come up to my extremely low standards for him. Either he's going through a mental breakdown or the covid & drug effects are really taking their toll. I wouldn't trust my car keys to him, much less governance of the USA.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
This sums it up nicely:

Bloomberg's Ryan Teague Beckwith: "I just switched over from the Trump to Biden town halls and it's like switching from 'Ancient Aliens' to PBS NewsHour."

Last night, I started coming across articles summarizing the town hall before they were even over.
For example, this from AP.

The town halls offered a different format for the two candidates to present themselves to voters, after the pair held a chaotic and combative first debate late last month. The difference in the men’s tone was immediate and striking.

Trump was Trump. He was loud and argumentative, rebuking his FBI director, fighting with the host, Savannah Guthrie, complaining about the questioning — and eventually saying for the first time that he would honor the results of a fair election, but only after casting an extraordinary amount of doubt on the likeliness of fairness.

Biden, meanwhile, took a far different, softer approach with audience questions. The former vice president, who struggled growing up with a stutter, stuttered slightly at the start of the program and at one point squeezed his eyes shut and slowed down his response to clearly enunciate his words. At times his answers droned on.

We have been so bombarded by Trump nonsense that when someone spends time to answer a question we say they "droned on"

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Trump defaulted to his usual "never heard of them" schtick when asked about Q-anon. He says that everytime he asked about supporters that are very controversial or worse.

This morning Fox was backing him up by having their "journalists" mispronounce their name. Bartolomeo said it like she spelling it calling them Q A N O N with a slight pause between each letter like she had never seen it before.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Trump defaulted to his usual "never heard of them" schtick when asked about Q-anon. He says that everytime he asked about supporters that are very controversial or worse.

This morning Fox was backing him up by having their "journalists" mispronounce their name. Bartolomeo said it like she spelling it calling them Q A N O N with a slight pause between each letter like she had never seen it before.

President 'Who Me?!?' sure didn't seem to know much with that big beautiful brain of his.
Did you get tested for Covid? I don't know.
Should you wear masks? I don't know.
Did the gold star family give you covid, you said they might have? did I say that? I don't know.
Who is Qanon? I don't know! I retweeted them? Oh! Well, I retweet lots of things!
Is Democrats satanic pedophiles? I don't know, maybe?!

We have been so bombarded by Trump nonsense that when someone spends time to answer a question we say they "droned on"

This is journalist code for didn't give us an easy soundbite. All problems and their answers now need to be able to be summed up in 128 characters or less or it is to boring for the average American.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Feb 4, 2009
I'm guessing Trump did really bad last night based on the salty poster having a conniption and rage posting multiple threads.

Yeah I skipped both and have done little reading. There is nothing that will prevent me from voting Biden at this point. Constancy vs Me! Me! Me! Me! Me!
I am tired of a ignorant, privileged child running everything.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Watching Trump now is exactly the same as watching him back in 2016 what with his lies, his deep state conspiracy theories, his "radical left, antifa, everything is the fault of Clinton, Obama, the Dems and now Biden".

This never ending looping of lies, avoidance and distractions is just so boring. It's like watching the same 'ol soap op episode over and over and over again to the point where commercial breaks are refreshing, more informative and much more factual than watching Trump play his air accordion all night long.

It's downright painful to watch him slip and slide his way around his being interrogated.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Saying you haven't heard of Qanon is damning at this point. It's like saying you haven't heard of the KKK or ISIS.

The only reasonable thing to do is denounce Qanon support (the qanon folks wouldn't be offended as they would just say he's doing it for show) but he's just so stupid...

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It's downright painful to watch him slip and slide his way around his being interrogated.

And it is just so stupid. His answer to the ACA Repeal and Replace was just so bad. 'I would like to replace it with something much better and much cheaper!' Of course you would, but the question is that in 4+ years you have not come up with anything better, why do you think you will now? What are you going to do when your administration knocks the ACA down and you still have nothing?

Reactions: tweaker2

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
And it is just so stupid. His answer to the ACA Repeal and Replace was just so bad. 'I would like to replace it with something much better and much cheaper!' Of course you would, but the question is that in 4+ years you have not come up with anything better, why do you think you will now? What are you going to do when your administration knocks the ACA down and you still have nothing?

He'd do what all of the other Repubs in the House and Senate have been doing since the day the ACA was enacted in order to avoid admitting the fact that they'll never be able to nor want to replace the ACA with "something much better and cheaper": Lie with a straight face about it and keep on lying about it allowing them to keep kicking that can down the road because their base seems perfectly fine with that avoidance scheme of theirs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Trump set the stage.

I watched most of Trump's town hall. I had to take my blood pressure meds. After it was over I took 2, not 1, but 2 xanax (generic - brand name is too expensive). BTW, my medical insurance through Florida Blue is going up next year. Insulin is like water, it's free! Then I started flipping through the channels and landed on Fox news. Laura was giving Trump a blowy. When she took a breath she bloviated how wonderful Trump was and she wanted his children. Then she continued his blowy. I couldn't take anymore so I flipped to the Hallmark channel to watch a love story rerun.

Trump set himself up to be setup by someone else to set him up.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Saying you haven't heard of Qanon is damning at this point. It's like saying you haven't heard of the KKK or ISIS.

The only reasonable thing to do is denounce Qanon support (the qanon folks wouldn't be offended as they would just say he's doing it for show) but he's just so stupid...

didn't he also say that he knows they are "about pedophiles or something"?

SO: "never heard of them, but I hear they are fighting pedophiles I believe."

All in one sentence. Deplorables will argue in defense of what Trump claims, and convince themselves that Trump is honest.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Watching Trump now is exactly the same as watching him back in 2016 what with his lies, his deep state conspiracy theories, his "radical left, antifa, everything is the fault of Clinton, Obama, the Dems and now Biden".

This never ending looping of lies, avoidance and distractions is just so boring. It's like watching the same 'ol soap op episode over and over and over again to the point where commercial breaks are refreshing, more informative and much more factual than watching Trump play his air accordion all night long.

This!!!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
"dueling" ... as I understand it, someone brought "I'll wing it" to a gun fight and got gunned down.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, but ANTIFA is a real threat.

In other news, they drive a lot of Nike sales in Portland, OR.

I like the cops that steps in like "you need help putting that fire out?" ... it was like a timeout in the stand off where shit got too real for a second.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Whoops:

The ratings are in. Get ready for a twitter-tantrum.
Joe Biden's town hall on ABC averaged 14.1 million viewers on Thursday night, easily surpassing the Nielsen ratings for President Trump's town hall on NBC. That alone was a result virtually no one in the TV business expected. And that's not even the most surprising part.

The Trump town hall was simulcast by two of NBC's cable channels, MSNBC and CNBC, but even when those channels are included in the total, Biden -- on only one network -- still prevailed.

The Trump town hall averaged 10.6 million viewers on the NBC broadcast network. On MSNBC, Trump reached 1.74 million viewers, and on CNBC, about 671,000 viewers. So Trump's gross audience across the three channels was 13.1 million, about one million fewer than Biden's audience on ABC alone.

Add to that that Biden's YouTube live stream of the event far excised the number of views Trump got and boom... Trump got trumped.
At the end of Trump's town hall, the NBC News YouTube channel showed 153,660 viewers were watching. ABC News's YouTube channel showed 507,445 viewers at the end of Biden's town hall.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Whoops:

The ratings are in. Get ready for a twitter-tantrum.
The Trump town hall averaged 10.6 million viewers on the NBC broadcast network. On MSNBC, Trump reached 1.74 million viewers, and on CNBC, about 671,000 viewers. So Trump's gross audience across the three channels was 13.1 million, about one million fewer than Biden's audience on ABC alone.

Add to that that Biden's YouTube live stream of the event far excised the number of views Trump got and boom... Trump got trumped.
At the end of Trump's town hall, the NBC News YouTube channel showed 153,660 viewers were watching. ABC News's YouTube channel showed 507,445 viewers at the end of Biden's town hall.

Smarty pants liberal elite computer programmers built bots to drive up Biden's numbers. Trump's numbers represent REAL Americans. Like from the heartland and shit. People of the earth, with salt in their veins. Honest hard working meth users who scrimp and save to put the the confederate flag on their pickup truck with the busted exhaust that leaks a little into the cab. That they drive on the roads that were only paid for by their own taxes and not any subsidies from big liberal leaching cities.