• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Dueling Town Halls

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
27,449
2,318
126
On one channel we have Democracy

On another channel we have a combination of Lewis Carroll and H.G. Wells,

Edit: doh, I meant Orson Wells there (like in Citizen Kane).
 
Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
11,572
5,996
136
"leftist" NBC giving free publicity to a clown for no discernible reason.
That's one way to look at it. Another way is this: Trump is shitty at town halls. Meaning he is just as likely to harm himself with this as he is to help himself. Town halls are only good "publicity" for candidates who are proficient at them. According to that view, all NBC is doing is handing Trump some rope.
 

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
2,669
274
126
That's one way to look at it. Another way is this: Trump is shitty at town halls. Meaning he is just as likely to harm himself with this than he is to help himself. Town halls are only good "publicity" for candidates who are good at them.
I do hope that the "random" people invited by NBC hammer the cheeto on owing $400 million to putin, 220k dead, and how the most protected man on earth caught "a hoax"
 

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
15,721
3,318
136
I do hope that the "random" people invited by NBC hammer the cheeto on owing $400 million to putin, 220k dead, and how the most protected man on earth caught "a hoax"
I doubt any of them will ask about the $400+ million, most of them probably aren't aware of it with all the crap Trump throws at the news.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
11,638
937
126
Kind of funny watching the MSNBC hosts grumbling last night. Pointing out that it was a NBC event, not MSNBC (but will be simulcast on MSNBC) and pointedly mentioning the Biden town hall on ABC and the same time, etc.

Personally I'll treat a Trump town hall the same way I do Fox News-I'll let someone else endure it and give me the highlights.
 

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
1,123
1,098
106
That's one way to look at it. Another way is this: Trump is shitty at town halls. Meaning he is just as likely to harm himself with this as he is to help himself. Town halls are only good "publicity" for candidates who are proficient at them. According to that view, all NBC is doing is handing Trump some rope.
Guess I should be more optimistic, but in my view this is giving him a chance to shake things up while no publicity keeps the race where it is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JEDIYoda and Muse

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
10,839
160
106
What sucks is people in the middle will have to choose which to watch. Though this might be an election that there aren't that many undecided left.
 

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
15,721
3,318
136
What sucks is people in the middle will have to choose which to watch. Though this might be an election that there aren't that many undecided left.
Surprisingly there are still some, though far less than in 2016.
 

Gabe323

Senior member
Apr 29, 2002
242
244
126
Fuck NBC and Chuck Todd that shit was dirty. They're probably drooling all over Trump's junk just waiting to give him another show.
 

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
11,572
5,996
136
Guess I should be more optimistic, but in my view this is giving him a chance to shake things up while no publicity keeps the race where it is.
Yes I see your logic. However, that sort of logic applies to a conventional race with conventional candidates. The problem with Trump is he can't control his worst impulses. Was watching a 538 podcast the other day and Nate Silver made this very point: that an ordinary candidate can better take advantage of opportunities to come from behind than Trump can because Trump is sort of stuck in a self-destructive loop that he is unable to extricate himself from.

That's why I predict, among other things, that the second debate (which used to be the third debate) will be a reprise of Trump behaving the same way as he did in the first. In spite of negative feedback and declining poll numbers after the first. Because he can't help himself. He only knows one way to behave.
 
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: JEDIYoda and Muse

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
1,123
1,098
106
Yes I see your logic. However, that sort of logic applies to a conventional race with conventional candidates. The problem with Trump is he can't control his worst impulses. Was watching a 538 podcast the other day and Nate Silver made this very point: that an ordinary candidate can better take advantage of opportunities to come from behind than Trump can because Trump is sort of stuck in a self-destructive loop that he is unable to extricate himself from.

That's why I predict, among other things, that the second debate (which used to be the third debate) will be a reprise of Trump behaving the same way as he did in the first. In spite of negative feedback and declining poll numbers after the first. Because he can't help himself. He only knows one way to behave.
No, I definitely agree with this, I think I posted something similar in a different thread. I just see it as 90% chance of making things worse and 10% chance of making things better vs 100% chance of essentially keeping things the same. If you're behind at this point in the game imo the first option is the superior one.
 

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
11,572
5,996
136
No, I definitely agree with this, I think I posted something similar in a different thread. I just see it as 90% chance of making things worse and 10% chance of making things better vs 100% chance of essentially keeping things the same. If you're behind at this point in the game imo the first option is the superior one.
Perhaps, but there is the chance that the polls are over-estimating Biden. And also keep in mind that we need this election to not even be close. So I'll take the 90% chance of Trump making it worse for himself.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Muse

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
1,123
1,098
106
Perhaps, but there is the chance that the polls are over-estimating Biden. And also keep in mind that we need this election to not even be close. So I'll take the 90% chance of Trump making it worse for himself.
Your opinion is objectively wrong and I now hate you, forever.

Nah, I get where you're coming from and I might have agreed if Biden was polling at like +4-5, imo being up 10 in an aggregated average of polls seems enough to warrant being happy with the status quo of the race.
 

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
66,380
3,172
126
What sucks is people in the middle will have to choose which to watch. Though this might be an election that there aren't that many undecided left.
Pardon me if I gag on the notion there could be even a single undecided or anything about which anybody would actually have to ponder to decide. There's the crazed narcissist and Biden. The problem is only that Trump is not the only one who is crazed. Life in the culture of disease that represents our modern state of America is like a scale that mechanically measures whether you fall into the crazed or still sane side of the balance.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JEDIYoda and Muse

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
66,380
3,172
126
Your opinion is objectively wrong and I now hate you, forever.

Nah, I get where you're coming from and I might have agreed if Biden was polling at like +4-5, imo being up 10 in an aggregated average of polls seems enough to warrant being happy with the status quo of the race.
Republicans have helped forge an new motto among liberals today. When the conservatives are down be sure to kick them in teeth. It's the fear they deservedly created. Compassion is for those the evil who have collapsed and repented and given only one chance to make good on it. Compassion is only for those with a possibility of redemption and it would break compassion to allow unlimited chances to prove it. The wrath of God is real. Compassion is for the victim but what if it is a matter of the victimization of other victims or innocent children.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Muse

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
1,123
1,098
106
Republicans have helped forge an new motto among liberals today. When the conservatives are down be sure to kick them in teeth. It's the fear they deservedly created. Compassion is for those the evil who have collapsed and repented and given only one chance to make good on it. Compassion is only for those with a possibility of redemption and it would break compassion to allow unlimited chances to prove it. The wrath of God is real. Compassion is for the victim but what if it is a matter of the victimization of other victims or innocent children.
I don't know if somehow my post indicated that the Dems should show compassion to the GOP, that wasn't my intention. If Dems take the senate they need to punch the GOPs teeth in, DC and PR statehood, SC expansion etc.
 
  • Love
Reactions: JEDIYoda and Muse

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
11,572
5,996
136
Pardon me if I gag on the notion there could be even a single undecided or anything about which anybody would actually have to ponder to decide. There's the crazed narcissist and Biden. The problem is only that Trump is not the only one who is crazed. Life in the culture of disease that represents our modern state of America is like a scale that mechanically measures whether you fall into the crazed or still sane side of the balance.
Your remarks apply to people who actually follow politics. "Undecideds" are probably low information voters and/or first time voters. People who didn't get the memo that they needed to pay attention to politics until now. Polls show very few undecideds in this election, however, compared to past elections.

Your last sentence is very true, and nauseating.
 

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
27,449
2,318
126
I doubt any of them will ask about the $400+ million, most of them probably aren't aware of it with all the crap Trump throws at the news.
Yeah, I'm concerned that the Trump trusties have set up the questions, like only approved questions and all fed to the team ahead of time. So easy to imagine... you know this is exactly what they want.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JEDIYoda

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
27,449
2,318
126
Perhaps, but there is the chance that the polls are over-estimating Biden. And also keep in mind that we need this election to not even be close. So I'll take the 90% chance of Trump making it worse for himself.
Yeah, we need a landslide for the Democrats. We NEED A SHAKEUP.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JEDIYoda

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
27,449
2,318
126
Republicans have helped forge an new motto among liberals today. When the conservatives are down be sure to kick them in teeth. It's the fear they deservedly created. Compassion is for those the evil who have collapsed and repented and given only one chance to make good on it. Compassion is only for those with a possibility of redemption and it would break compassion to allow unlimited chances to prove it. The wrath of God is real. Compassion is for the victim but what if it is a matter of the victimization of other victims or innocent children.
The wrath of the lion is the wisdom of God. - William Blake

I find my wrath at Trump all but inexpressible and certainly infinite.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JEDIYoda

ASK THE COMMUNITY