Dueling Town Halls

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Yeah, I'm concerned that the Trump trusties have set up the questions, like only approved questions and all fed to the team ahead of time. So easy to imagine... you know this is exactly what they want.
Can the people asking the questions just choose another random question when it comes times to ask?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
On one channel we have Democracy

On another channel we have a combination of Lewis Carroll and H.G. Wells
Oh, I meant Lewis Carroll and Orson Wells, not H.G. Wells.

Combo of Alice in Wonderland (Mad Hatter's tea party) and Citizen Kane for the Dump town hall. Democracy in action for Biden's town hall.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yashar Ali

Elephant

@yashar

·
Oct 14

I've heard from over a dozen NBC, MSNBC, and CNBC sources (talent and staff) and the frustration with and anger toward their employer for scheduling a town hall against Biden is palpable.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Hey.... This does not matter. Town halls are typically boring and minds have already been made up. Nothing will come of this so who cares if they have Joe Biden on one channel and Donald Trump on another channel and Buffy The Dancing Chihuahua on a third channel. If I wanted to watch the town hall(s) I'd record the town hall(s), but as far as live TV goes.... it's Buffy for me.

MLe_MG_4550-1024x683.jpg

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know if somehow my post indicated that the Dems should show compassion to the GOP, that wasn't my intention. If Dems take the senate they need to punch the GOPs teeth in, DC and PR statehood, SC expansion etc.

No problem. My point was to say that wolfe looked to take a harder line than you. He is not comfortable with a 10 point lead and more inclined, I think, to stay in 'killer mode'. Fortunately, my opinion is against forum rules to express. Republicans make me mentally unwell.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One thing's for sure, I won't watch that Trump town hall. I'll pick up on commentary, highlights. Shame on NBC.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Your remarks apply to people who actually follow politics. "Undecideds" are probably low information voters and/or first time voters. People who didn't get the memo that they needed to pay attention to politics until now. Polls show very few undecideds in this election, however, compared to past elections.

Your last sentence is very true, and nauseating.
I think such people are running away our of a fear of lack of capacity to deal. The very idea of politics freezes their brain. Perhaps they will be the ones to survive global warming.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Let's see if Trump tries too hard since he is frantic, and he wants the ratings so he can claim he is beating Biden in that regard.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The wrath of the lion is the wisdom of God. - William Blake

I find my wrath at Trump all but inexpressible and certainly infinite.
The Sufis say the wrath of God is the empty bellies of the poor. :)

And curse you for mentioning your wrath. Now I can see I am one of those dreaded 'undecided'. I can't tell if my wrath is like the wrath of God or just the inevitable pique of some poor slob who was made to feel worthless and wants revenge for it. From an early age I can see I held the world in contempt because I couldn't fit in. I just couldn't wear the conservative 'happy collar" and go along with the program. My father was far away serving the country most of my childhood and my mom had other things on her mind. I grew up kind of wild I think, comparatively.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
On one channel we have Democracy

On another channel we have a combination of Lewis Carroll and H.G. Wells,

Edit: doh, I meant Orson Wells there (like in Citizen Kane).

Don't you mean H.P. Lovecraft?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Given his attitude today seems like a decent chance Trump reprises his first debate performance except against Savannah Guthrie the moderator.

When he's in a hole, this time with basically all females of the human species, his every instinct is to yell up for dynamite.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
1) town halls typically draw far fewer viewers than a debate. This will be even worse with split town halls.
2) Biden will be providing substantive answers.
3) Trump can't provide substantive answers.
4) Trump craves ratings. His little game will backfire hard on him. Biden will out draw him 2 to 1.

The butthurt will be spectacular!!

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
I am curious on how many people attending Biden's town hall will take the bait of the NY post.
I would assume that Joe is ready for them.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
That's one way to look at it. Another way is this: Trump is shitty at town halls. Meaning he is just as likely to harm himself with this as he is to help himself. Town halls are only good "publicity" for candidates who are proficient at them. According to that view, all NBC is doing is handing Trump some rope.

I'm sure that's the reasoning the brass at NBC told themselves when they were trying to figure out how to capitalize on all the eyeballs tuning into the train wreck.

Screw them. I'm boycotting. I'd rather spend an hour punching myself in the dick than listen to Typhoid Donny rant about his covid superpowers and syphilitic fever dreams of Hunter Biden and Burisma.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
1) town halls typically draw far fewer viewers than a debate. This will be even worse with split town halls.
4) Trump craves ratings. His little game will backfire hard on him. Biden will out draw him 2 to 1.

one caveat - biden will have more total viewership (TV + online), while trump will have more TV viewers and therefore claim victory in # of viewers.

which reminds me, i should probably open up the stream just so biden has one more viewer, hah.

edit: per CNN
What time will the town halls start? Both the Biden and Trump town halls are slated to begin at 8 p.m. ET. Biden's will last for an hour and a half, while Trump's will last for an hour.

only an hour? low-energy trump

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Let's see if Trump tries too hard since he is frantic, and he wants the ratings so he can claim he is beating Biden in that regard.
He's demonstrated again and again that he'll try anything that he thinks might get him any kind of advantage, including quid pro quo, slander, outrageously disrespecting anyone who doesn't fall in line with his wishes. I find him repulsive... always.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Sufis say the wrath of God is the empty bellies of the poor. :)

And curse you for mentioning your wrath. Now I can see I am one of those dreaded 'undecided'. I can't tell if my wrath is like the wrath of God or just the inevitable pique of some poor slob who was made to feel worthless and wants revenge for it. From an early age I can see I held the world in contempt because I couldn't fit in. I just couldn't wear the conservative 'happy collar" and go along with the program. My father was far away serving the country most of my childhood and my mom had other things on her mind. I grew up kind of wild I think, comparatively.
I didn't get a lot of guidance from my parents. They parented well in many regards, but were lacking in some respects. Growing up wild puts the onus on you... you decide who/what you will be. It can be squandered, it can be used effectively. If your time is your own, it's a blessing, that's the way you have to look at it.

Seriously, you think of yourself as undecided? You're just playing a silly game there, or are you putting us on?

I won't apologize for feeling wrathful, it's infinitely better than being complacent.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
LOL.

Trump said he doesn't know if he had a test on the day of the debate.

Dis gun be good!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

For one thing, it's last minute. www.titantv.com, where I go for my OTA listings doesn't even have it. It's showing the usual news schedule. I think most people won't even know about NBC's alternative TH.