DSLR Owners - is it worth it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DBL
Originally posted by: Ornery

Some prosumer models can focus and shoot in total darkness, and are fairly portable to boot.
What use is the ability to focus in total darkness if the resulting photo looks like garbage?
Gee, I don't know. Maybe capturing a shot you otherwise would NOT have had at all? :confused:
Clearly I thought the implication was low-light photography, which means NO FLASH. Besides, with a flash, any decent camera should be able to focus in darkness. That's a given. Try that same picture with your p&s w/o the flash. Then we can compare.
Clearly, you fvcked up then, didn't you?

Is the Canon S1 IS a decent camera? It has no AF illuminator at all. How about the PowerShot S50? It has an AF illuminator, and still can't focus in dim light, let alone total darkness. Any decent camera should be able to focus in darkness. That truly is a given!

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Q]Clearly, you fvcked up then, didn't you?

Is the Canon S1 IS a decent camera? It has no AF illuminator at all. How about the PowerShot S50? It has an AF illuminator, and still can't focus in dim light, let alone total darkness. Any decent camera should be able to focus in darkness. That truly is a given!

This is a thread about DSLR's, none of which have a problem focusing in low-light. Why are you bringing up other p&s and small sensor cameras? You picture has added nothing to the discussion. I'm not aware of any DSLR that would not be able to take a better picture in the same situation as the one you presented.

Even with your flash and the considerable downsizing, I can see some significant noise in the shadow areas. In addition, your onboard flash helps to destroy the ambiance and delicate lighting apparent in the photograph. IMO, I'd much rather see this picture naturally lit in the background by the fire and by the glowing candles in the foreground. (Of course, digitally this may not be a possibility with anything other than a DSLR, which happens to be my point). It would make a more distinguished photo. In addition, it wouldn't hurt to capture the subjects feet next time. It's easy to overlook something as simple as this but it does make a difference.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Q]Clearly, you fvcked up then, didn't you?

This is a thread about DSLR's, none of which have a problem focusing in low-light. Why are you bringing up other p&s and small sensor cameras? You picture has added nothing to the discussion. I'm not aware of any DSLR that would not be able to take a better picture in the same situation as the one you presented.

Even with your flash and the considerable downsizing, I can see some significant noise in the shadow areas. In addition, your onboard flash helps to destroy the ambiance and delicate lighting apparent in the photograph. IMO, I'd much rather see this picture naturally lit in the background by the fire and by the glowing candles in the foreground. (Of course, digitally this may not be a possibility with anything other than a DSLR, which happens to be my point). It would make a more distinguished photo. In addition, it wouldn't hurt to capture the subjects feet next time. It's easy to overlook something as simple as this but it does make a difference.

That is just the way he his. Always talking out of his ass...

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002

Some prosumer models can focus and shoot in total darkness, and are fairly portable to boot.
What use is the ability to focus in total darkness if the resulting photo looks like garbage?
Gee, I don't know. Maybe capturing a shot you otherwise would NOT have had at all? :confused:
Clearly I thought the implication was low-light photography, which means NO FLASH. Besides, with a flash, any decent camera should be able to focus in darkness. That's a given. Try that same picture with your p&s w/o the flash. Then we can compare.
Clearly, you fvcked up then, didn't you?

You are far off the subject here. We are here talking about Dslrs vs. compact cameras. Why are you comparing S1 vs. S50? Do you think S50 is a Dslr camera?:confused:

Dslr owns any given compact cameras in terms of AF/dynamic range/shadow/highlight/color/depth of field/ISO/anything you can think of. Compact cameras are only better in terms of portability and price.

I really don't think you know what we are talking about here. Please do some reserch before you embarrase yourself more.

EDIT: It's really dumb/silly/stupid when you compare AF ability of compact camera to a Dslr camera. Well, since you don't know you can proudly argue that, but once you learn more about digital cameras, you'd be damn embarrased that you had made that kind of retarded argument.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
DSLR Owners - is it worth it?

The bodies will keep dropping in price, but the glass is ALWAYS going to cost a LOT! Prosumer cameras are going to keep getting better and cheaper, though. Previewing in the LCD ( I NEVER use the EVF ), and that swivel ability are big plusses. Some prosumer models can focus and shoot in total darkness, and are fairly portable to boot.
Just exactly who is it that went off on a tangent, after I posted that innocent statement?

Canon EOS 10D
  • Integrated AF assist light. Actually that?s a diplomatic way of saying there?s no AF assist light, but rather a compromised system that uses the internal flash to fire off a high frequency burst that helps with AF in low light, low contrast conditions. Fortunately this gets rid of the ugly (yes, ugly) AF assist light on the D60/D30, but doesn?t do much for usability.
Why is it that the D2X and the D2H don't have AF assist lamps?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Maybe their focusing system is such that they don't need one? :roll:

I'd speculate that Canon's pro bodies don't have AF assist lamps, either. For that matter, it is assumed that if you really need one, you'll have a flash of similar quality mounted on the camera, which will have an integrated assist light that will be significantly more powerful than what's in the average prosumer DSLR.

Edit: to confirm, the Canon 1D MkII does not have a built-in AF assist light.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Some do, some don't. Some require a dedicated flash unit be used for AF illumination assist.

I merely said, "Some prosumer models can focus and shoot in total darkness, and are fairly portable to boot." To which, some others around here flipped out!

Makromizer

Nov 15, 2003

I think its the same reason why tehy don't have a built in flash. These cams aren't for people who care about the amount of accessories they carry around.
If you want to take advantage of the D2H/D2X vs. a D70, you won't use such a baby flash light. SB600/800 have far supperior AF-Assists. And if you need an AF-Assist, it's dark anyway, so you'll most likely use a flashlight.
But I'm not 100% sure if that's the reason, I know that's why these don't have an own flash.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have no doubt that's EXACTLY the reason, but it's one reason the OP may choose differently.