DSLR Owners - is it worth it?

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a Canon A95 now, and I really like photography. I want to upgrade to either a Canon S2 when it comes out or a Rebel XT for more options.

The thing I like about the point&shoot is it's swivel screen and portability. I was wondering if you have a DSLR, do you notice a huge difference in photo quality or do you get your "moneys worth" investing in lenses? What are some good reasons to upgrade to DSLR? Basically - are you happy with your $1000+ purchase of a DSLR or is there not that much difference from your P&S camera?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
DSLRs are faster, much less noisy in low light, and - assuming you get decent lenses - much higher quality. My Nikon D1 (US$500 used from KEH) with a US$40 50mm lens beats a lot of P&S shots in the 4MP range, though it is only 2.6MP. Another factor of interest is that for various reasons involving optics-related physics, the amount of stuff in focus at one time can be much more limited on a DSLR than on a P&S digicam. You can also make the aperture smaller to get a lot of stuff in focus, but for my style of photography, being able to isolate one's subject with thin "DOF" (depth of field, or depth of focus) is very important, and is why even if someday a P&S can match a DSLR in speed and low-light performance, I'll still be using a DSLR.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Sure! My EOS-20D is fantastic. But if I had to do it all over again, since I don't have an infinite supply of funds to dedicate to my hobby, I would have waited for the EOS-350D/Rebel XT and spent the difference on a Canon EF 24-70 F2.8L lens. Even though the XT is a distinct sacrifice in build quality. A good camera is only as good as its lens.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I recently had a change of heart about my 350XT. I wasn't really into the whole DSLR and changing lens thing. I ended up taking it with me on a trip a few weeks ago with just the kit lens. The pics came out pretty good and I had a good time with the camera.

So, I'm going to keep working with it. I have a 70-200mm lens coming tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying that one out this weekend.

Is it worth it? All depends on how much time and $ you want to put into it...

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My wife wants the Rebel XT for her birthday. I sure hope someone else pays for it.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
If you have money and portability isn't a issue, Dslr is far better than regular digicams.
I once had a Dslr only to realize what matters the most for me is the portability. I, then, bought ultra compact camera and sold my Dslr. I was planning to use that ultra compact one as my sub-camera, but had to sell Dslr before the huge price drop I knew was coming. I'm now considering *ist DS as I see it's the best one out of those cheap Dslrs.
On the other side, I'm also considering Panasonic FZ5 as I'm in need of ultra zoom camera.

What I recommand is 1. sell your A95 2. Buy a Dslr 3. Buy a ultra compact camera as a sub-digicam.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
If you consider yourself a photography buff I would step up to an SLR. Much faster, better in low light, more shooting options/control over the settings. Optics are better too but good optics for an SLR cost bucks.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
On the flip side, if you're just a casual photographer, go with what you can afford. New, bigger, badder camera won't turn you into Ansel Adams

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex
i :heart: my D70

I feel the same way about my Rebel XT :). I still keep my A80 P&S around though, for stuff like carrying in my tackle box when I go fishing.

Nate

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I bought my wife a DReb (300D or whatever)....one of the best purchases I've ever made. She is soooooo happy with it, and it takes way better pictures in all conditions than any P&S we've owned (3 previous). The kit lens does great - and remember that it's still a better lens than on 99% of P&S models out there, and it's the bottom of the line in a lot of respects. I also got her a 70-300mm lens because she does a lot of zoom photography with the kids, and it's an amazing piece of glass. We have a lot of money in this thing but I think it will prove to be a good investment. If I had to buy now I would probably get the D50 but when I got it, the D70 wasn't out yet so my <$1K choice was made for me. We're not really "into photography" so to speak, but all the frustrations with the previous P&S's are gone.

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks, I guess I'll wait for the XT to go on sale. I have a photoblog and I think it will help with the variety of pictures. Do you guys recommend getting the body only and getting a good lens or it the kit lens worth it? Are the sigma lenses any good or should I only get canon?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Hah! What do you think they're going to say? "Gosh, I wasted a buttload of money on this equipment!"

The bodies will keep dropping in price, but the glass is ALWAYS going to cost a LOT! Prosumer cameras are going to keep getting better and cheaper, though. Previewing in the LCD ( I NEVER use the EVF ), and that swivel ability are big plusses. Some prosumer models can focus and shoot in total darkness, and are fairly portable to boot.

I like photography a lot, but I'm going to make my next big purchase a serious camcorder, not a digicam. I haven't even begun to test the boundaries of my digital camera (even after 17,000 shots), let alone require a DSLR!

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery

Hah! What do you think they're going to say? "Gosh, I wasted a buttload of money on this equipment!"
Some people are capable of giving relatively unbiased opinions. Obviously, if you want a pocketable camera for snapshots, a DSLR isn't for you. There are other reasons to prefer a P&S.
The bodies will keep dropping in price, but the glass is ALWAYS going to cost a LOT! Prosumer cameras are going to keep getting better and cheaper, though.
DSLRs will always be better from a technical POV because of the much larger sensor. There may come a time numerous years from now when P&Ses then may match DSLRs now in low light performance, but by then DSLRs will have progressed even farther. Each person has to decide how much they value size/cost vs. performance, and make their purchasing decision based on what's available now, not what will be available in the future.
Previewing in the LCD ( I NEVER use the EVF ), and that swivel ability are big plusses. Some prosumer models can focus and shoot in total darkness, and are fairly portable to boot.
LCD or EVF - both suck for accurate manual focusing at macro magnifications. This isn't important to most people, but if you need it, no LCD/EVF can substitute. There's a reason that it will be many years before DSLRs abandon direct viewing through the lens. An EVF can show a realtime histogram, so they do have some usefulness if you don't require much manual focusing.
I like photography a lot, but I'm going to make my next big purchase a serious camcorder, not a digicam. I haven't even begun to test the boundaries of my digital camera (even after 17,000 shots), let alone require a DSLR!
I wish you luck in your movie making efforts. I'd never try it because I have enough trouble capturing a fixed moment in time, let alone a continuous period at 24 (or however many) frames per second!

FreshFish

Golden Member
May 16, 2004
Originally posted by: novon
Thanks, I guess I'll wait for the XT to go on sale. I have a photoblog and I think it will help with the variety of pictures. Do you guys recommend getting the body only and getting a good lens or it the kit lens worth it? Are the sigma lenses any good or should I only get canon?

A fellow Seattlite! I am also thinking about a DSLR. Seems like it would offer so much versatility.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I do video like I do stills... just snap shooting. When it comes to shooting with my camera, it's point & shoot, one after another. With any luck, some of the shots will be good. When I shoot video, it's the same thing. Just start the camera rolling, and keep it on the subject(s). I don't pretend to be an artist, but I appreciate good quality tools. They make the job go easier, and give better results. If I'm going to take the trouble to shoot, it might as well be as good results as possible.

I wouldn't change that style with a DSLR, and I'd be pissing and moaning if I couldn't shoot from waist level (which I do 50% of the time), or overhead. I can't see for shlt, so I REALLY depend on the camera to autofocus, even in macro. Holding your face up to the camera, while hunched down to the ground must be a bear, as well. By the time I dive into DSLR, the cameras will be able to do all these point & shoot tricks, or I'll probably just pass on the whole thing.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001

Some prosumer models can focus and shoot in total darkness, and are fairly portable to boot.

What use is the ability to focus in total darkness if the resulting photo looks like garbage?

There are many advantages to a DSLR. I have a 20D and a P&S Pentax. Once you get used to the smooth creamy sky?s only a DSLR is capable of, it's hard to accept anything less. Yes, DSLR is exceptional in low-light situations. However, it also provides a much higher quality picture in everyday lighting conditions. Ultimately, the size of your final output will determine if you can really notice a difference. I like the fact that my final output size has no restrictions.

GonzoCircus

Jan 31, 2004
I've taken over 6000 photos since I bought a Canon A80 and think its time for me to move up to the XT. The A80 is great and will have some features not found in the XT, so think I'll keep it as a p and s. The reason I'm moving up is I have gotten a pretty good grasp on A80 and get frustrated with its limitations. I know I could sometimes get a better picture with a better camera. Bottom line is the XT will take better pictures than the A80 or A95 if you know how to use it. You just have to ask yourself how serious you are about your hobby and how much money you're willing to put into it.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DBL

Some prosumer models can focus and shoot in total darkness, and are fairly portable to boot.
What use is the ability to focus in total darkness if the resulting photo looks like garbage?
Gee, I don't know. Maybe capturing a shot you otherwise would NOT have had at all? :confused:

GonzoCircus

Jan 31, 2004
Originally posted by: DBL

Gee, I don't know. Maybe capturing a shot you otherwise would NOT have had at all? :confused:

I see you let someone with OCD near that table.

drpootums

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
what do u guys think is the cheapest but still good SLR digital camera? ($300-500 range)