DSL ripping me off

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
12Mbps line only gets me 2.5Mbps or less during the evening. Only get 12 in the mornings and early afternoon when everyone is at work/school, including myself usually.

I called their tech support and get the usual bullshit. Restart your PC, modem, router blah blah blah. Then to top it off they offer to sell me a faster line.. wtf.. It seems to me that they just can't support the load at night?

They only want to send a tech out during the day when it works fine. How do I get out of this 2 year contract.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
So much for DSL's "dedicated line, just for you, unlike cable!" advertisements. :p

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The phrase "Up To" is a massive bitch.
With a few paragraphs of other disclaimers.

"You may not receive the service level we advertise. In using our service, you agree to the terms and conditions, which include that you agree to waive your right to sue us for any reason. Leaving your contract early will result in a substantial penalty fee. If you don't like this, you do retain the right to piss up a rope, provided this is not done on or near <cable company> property or equipment."

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
There is no such a thing as an American that doesn't get ripped off by their cable/internet provider.

Unless you own the company and get free service or something....

:biggrin:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Are you with AT&T? This can be a lot of things, but it's probably just shitty facilities in your area. Even something like streetlights turning on can affect your service. In our area (chicagoland), some of us have found loose electrical bonds and grounds on street lights to cause an issue, but only when the lights were on.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
There is no such a thing as an American that doesn't get ripped off by their cable/internet provider.

Unless you own the company and get free service or something....

:biggrin:
I am actually satisfied with mine - I get ~115mbps down for $62.99/mo.

Definitely looking forward to Google Fiber, though.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
DSL is very limited by distance and quality of phone lines. When I had it, despite being quite far I had half decent service though, when I checked the DSLAM it was actually quite of incredible how good the numbers were, but it is hit and miss, I could check my neighbor and the numbers be complete horrible. I have FTTH now though, that blows any DSL out of the water. My biggest pet peve with DSL was the slow upload. I had 8/1. If I had the choice I would have taken 4/4 instead. Trying to upload anything like backups or a youtube video was just horrible. Now I have 50/30 though. I'm so glad this fibre service came to our town.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
DSL has never been a constant rate, unless your cap is well below what the infrastructure can support. 12Mbps is a rather high promise for DSL, isn't it? Last I knew, they would not even sell those upper caps to most people, as they were too far away to ever achieve that. Around here, if you can't get Comcast or U-verse, the typical DSL limit is more like 1.5Mbps, I think.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Frontier is getting sued at the moment for crap like this, are you using them by chance?

Yep, Frontier.

Here is a question, if I only hit 2.5Mbps now on my 12Mbps plan, can't I "downgrade" to the 6Mbps plan and get the same slow ass speed for less money? That is, if they let me change it at all..

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Once I went Cable I will never go back.

Story: when my wife and I first moved into our house we roughed it with dial-up and went to DSL as quickly as possible. We thought this was awesome!

Then, we went to cable. I even called them last year and got a better speed at a lower rate. With three kids and and wireless devices galore, I don't think my wife or I could ever go back to DSL!

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I was just about to ask if you're stuck with the crap known as Frontier Communications and it looks like you are. They do the same shit to me all the time and it pisses me off. I pay $40 a month for 7.8Mbps but during peek hours it tops out at 3.5.D:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
DSL is very limited by distance and quality of phone lines. When I had it, despite being quite far I had half decent service though, when I checked the DSLAM it was actually quite of incredible how good the numbers were, but it is hit and miss, I could check my neighbor and the numbers be complete horrible. I have FTTH now though, that blows any DSL out of the water. My biggest pet peve with DSL was the slow upload. I had 8/1. If I had the choice I would have taken 4/4 instead. Trying to upload anything like backups or a youtube video was just horrible. Now I have 50/30 though. I'm so glad this fibre service came to our town.
I'm capped here too on uploads. 1Mbps max.

"Up to 30Mbps" is the downstream speed.
Half of that that is typical.

And I don't know if it's Amazon or TWC, but if I stream anything from Amazon I almost always get the absolute lowest quality setting available.
I did get 480p for about 30 minutes one day. Then it paused to buffer, then went down a notch.

I'm using Internet only, no cable TV, so maybe TWC has relegated me to their Riff-Raff Level of service. (Though based on my experience with their phone support, they scarcely regard their customers as sentient beings.)

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I pay for 25/10 VDSL. Normally I get the full 25 but sometimes it drops in half. Rebooting the modem seems to fix it for some reason. Upload only ever maxes out at 8mbps though.

Unfortunately, it's the only way I can get unlimited data while keeping my bills reasonable.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Just curious, how was your DSL installed? Reason I ask is because I hear this sort of complaint with installs that piggyback the voiceline into the house with filters for any landlines phones. What they do not tell you is that each one of those filters introduces more latency and a throughput hit. If you do not insist on a POTS splitter at the time of installation, they will usually go the lazy route and it results in underwhelming performance.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
I actually just got frontier and it's been fine for me. I don't torrent or download a lot of stuff, though. Usually just streaming Netflix in the background while doing some other task when I am here.

I just did a Speedtest and I am getting like 4-5 consistently, uploads at like .5. There are a fair amount of apartments around here for this city.

Way more consistent than Comcast here.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Just curious, how was your DSL installed? Reason I ask is because I hear this sort of complaint with installs that piggyback the voiceline into the house with filters for any landlines phones. What they do not tell you is that each one of those filters introduces more latency and a throughput hit. If you do not insist on a POTS splitter at the time of installation, they will usually go the lazy route and it results in underwhelming performance.
actually that is not true sat all........