Drugs...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Because it's easy to tax cigarettes...once they decide they need more money and manage to convince people that weed isn't too harmful, they'll make it legal and start taxing it, too.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< I don't offend anyone by filling the air with toxic stench. I don't toss crap out my car's window just because I don't want to clean my ashtray (why the hell are these still in cars btw? why not add a built-in bong or two or self-cleaning needles? ). I'm not the one damaging my unborn child by doing nicotine during pregnancy. >>

Jellybaby,

If you assume that that all smokers do these things, than yes, you are an asshole.

Russ, NCNE

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Last time I checked, nicotine was a stimulant. Ever seen a biology professor drop nicotine into a aquarium of micro-organisms? They sure as hell don't &quot;relax and chill&quot; as you put it. They go psycho, swim around like bats out of hell, and then suddenly die.

The only reason cigarettes are sedatives is because they are sedating the addiction that they caused.

Whatever. I'm not trying to get into the science behind it. The effect of smoking a cigarette is mildly sedative, and that's the whole point.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< If you assume that that all smokers do these things, than yes, you are an asshole. >>

Russ, actually no I don't. But rather than pretend the few &quot;responsible&quot; nicotene users are shining examples for others, and because I don't have time to sort 'em out, I tend to generalize. I'm still an asshole, however.

<< The effect of smoking a cigarette is mildly sedative, and that's the whole point. >>

That's OK to point out provided you also point out what happens when you take away their nicotene. They become agitated, ornery, and generally exhibit behavior that's anything but sedate.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< But rather than pretend the few &quot;responsible&quot; nicotene users >>

You just proved it again. The majority, not the &quot;few&quot; are responsible. Far more responsible than someone who makes unilateral assessments about an entire group based on nothing more than their own bias.

Russ, NCNE

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< The majority, not the &quot;few&quot; are responsible. >>

Russ, the word &quot;responsible&quot; is, umm, responsible for this mix-up. On the litter issue it's accurate to say most are responsible. However, even here it's closer to 60/40 than to 95/5 wouldn't you say? This is just one way to define responsible. Lets take another. I consider spewing forth second-hand toxins in a public place as irresponsible and all smokers do that by definition.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Russ I thank you for your input on this subject

I think Russ is right Jellybaby ...I have to do my reponsibility and add that comment :)

Ausm