Drugs...

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Why are some drugs that are not as harmful to your body as certain other drugs more heavily frowned upon?

eg. Weed vs. Cigarettes?

Are cigarettes not more harmful to your body, yet people get charged for posession of Marijuanna - a less harmful narcotic? I myself have never smoked cigarettes, weed or any other drugs (except alcohol) and I do not plan on doing it.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
For that matter Stefan why is alcohol ok when it is worse than weed.I have never done weed or anything else and I only drink every once in a while.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Because, people use marijuana to "get high", therefore it just 'has to be illegal'. We don't want people to have fun now.

Cigarettes on the other hand provide no high, yet keep you addicted (or so hope the cigarette companies) and power the cigarette business. It's just more junk that helps to kill you.

Personally, I've tried both drugs (ie, weed) and cigarettes (along with drinking). Although I didn't get hooked on either, I wouldn't ever smoke (cigarettes) again. Of course it's possible I drink in the future, although I'm pretty confident that I will not become and alcoholic, and I don't plan on doing drugs often or at all either.

-RSI

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
alright RSI... you can use weed to "get high", but if you switch cigarettes with alcohol, then you can also say that people use alcohol to "get drunk"

there are many people who dont drink to get drunk, but there are also people who dont use weed to get high.

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Weed impairs your motion and thought process.

Alcohol does as well, but it has been an important part of modern society, so it wouldn't be possible to outlaw it.

Cigarettes are mild sedatives. They take the edge off stress and can actually help your thinking & judgement in that sense. Also, like alcohol, cigarettes are integrated into our society and culture.

You can also get a fat headrush, almost like a high, if you're a weak/new smoker and you break the filter off a cig :p

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< Cigarettes >>

These are absolute evil and should be taxed even more than now. Cigarettes are very harmful and their annoying second-hand effects on others makes these damn things a craw in everyone's side. And what's worse, since users can't do drugs in public in most buildings anymore, they pollute the outdoors (what gives them the right to liter at will?). Disgusting, harmful and due for annihilation. :(

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Weed is just as harmful as tobacco, but for different reasons. Alcohol is in the same category. All three are bad, it's as simple as that. It is hypocritical for one of the three to be illegal.

Russ, NCNE

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
These are absolute evil and should be taxed even more than now.

For what purpose? Hurting smokers even more?

Cigarettes are very harmful and their annoying second-hand effects on others makes these damn things a craw in everyone's side.

There's plenty of crap in the air coming from cars, so second hand smoke in public is a non-issue.

And what's worse, since users can't do drugs in public in most buildings anymore, they pollute the outdoors (what gives them the right to liter at will?).

Umm, even if they did do it indoors, the pollution would make its way outdoors. Duh!

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Disgusting...
The pollution from smoking doesn't even compare to the pollution from automobiles.

harmful...
Also, they about all the people each year who die in car crashes!

...and due for annihilation.
Maybe we should do away with cars too!

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
EngineNr9

People inside arent gonna be exposed to pollution from cars. They get the second hand smoke from people smoking inside. I'm not worried about cigarette smoke when I'm outside. I am worried about the smoke when I'm inside though.

This is why I make my parents smoke outside of the house.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Russ nailed it. Let's face it, your body wasn't designed to inhale smoke. But really, there is no logical reason for one to be illegal, and another to not.

If the government found out a way to both control and tax marijuana, I'm sure they would legalize it in an instant. They can't. anyone can grow a plant. Hmm. Although, tobacco is a plant. Hmm. Now i'm all confused. ;)

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You certainly don't know anything about marijuana.

I know a lot of people who would find that comment amusing.

You must be smoking some cheap dirt weed, because you can get pretty swerved off some good hydroponic marijuana.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Well, are you defending cigarettes?

<< Weed impairs your motion and thought processes. >>

So does sugar, alcohol, caffeine, many other medicinal herbs and tobacco. People with a large tolerance don't find high THC content weed particularly strong or debilitating.

I don't use any drugs. (anymore)

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< These are absolute evil and should be taxed even more than now. >>

Empirical evidence supports the theory that high tax rates on cigarettes merely leads to higher rates of smuggling. Take a look at Canada and Britain.

syber321

Apr 11, 2000
Probably cuz there's not huge marijuana lobby paying huge amounts of money to get it legalized, heh

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Completely OT:

<< ...second hand smoke in public is a non-issue. >>

You only need to walk down any busy sidewalk in Pittsburgh to realize how completely wrong you are. When given a choice between going to a store downtown or driving half an hour to a mall, my roommate and I choose the mall every time to avoid breathing in the second-hand smoke.

Allright, I'll leave you to your discussion now. :)

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So does sugar, alcohol, caffeine, many other medicinal herbs and tobacco. People with a large tolerance don't find high THC content weed particularly strong or debilitating.

I don't use any drugs. (anymore)

What is your point in all this? You seem to have missed my point. My first post was trying to point why some of these seemingly similar substances are legal while some are not.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Hmmm, the point here doesn't seem to be what is harmful, or what screws with your mind. I mean, it seems to me that ciggs wouldn't mess with your mind much, while pot would be worse, alcohol even more so. So obviously (i think anyway!), it doesn't seem like bodily harm is considered when deciding legality. The issue is probably money.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Midnight Rambler

I dont actually make them leave the house. We have a veranda (a screened in porch) connected to our house. I get them to smoke out there. That way they dont stink up the house and make it yellow, and they dont have to go outside.