Drop Out, Obama

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
except he IS blind

rose.gif

we know

they called it "The Poem of Opposites":

One bright morning in the middle of the night,
Two dead boys stood up to fight,
One was blind, the other could not see,
They chose a dummy for a referee,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew their swords and shot one another,
And when the deaf policeman heard the noise,
he came to arrest the two dead boys,
If you don't believe my lie is true,
Ask the blind man, he saw it too.

more my style than yours

and who want to just 'see' layla when you can have her every night?

What'll you do when you get lonely
And nobody's waiting by your side?
You've been running and hiding much too long.
You know it's just your foolish pride.

Layla, you've got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging, darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind.

I tried to give you consolation
When your old man had let you down.
Like a fool, I fell in love with you,
Turned my whole world upside down.

Chorus

Let's make the best of the situation
Before I finally go insane.
Please don't say we'll never find a way
And tell me all my love's in vain.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
http://www.slate.com/blogs/blo...t-obama.aspx?GT1=38001

Drop Out, Obama

By Chris Wilson

Photograph of Barack Obama by Jonathan Ernst/Getty Images.Even as Hillary Clinton trails Barack Obama in pledged delegates, the popular vote, and number of states won, she has made it clear that she plans to stay in the race for the nomination. All of which brings me to this logical conclusion: It is time for Barack Obama to drop out.

If Clinton had the good of the Democratic Party in mind, she would have given up her bid the day after the Mississippi primary, which Obama won by 25 points. The delegate math was as dismal for her campaign then as it is now, even after Pennsylvania, and she was facing down a six-week gulf before the next election.

But Hillary Clinton isn?t going to drop out. There simply isn?t a function in her assembly code for throwing in the towel.

Obama, on the other hand, is fully capable of it. And if he?s really serious about representing a new kind of politics, now is the time for him to prove it in the only meaningful way left. Moreover, were he to play it right, dropping out now nearly guarantees that he?ll be elected president in 2012. Here?s the roadmap:

Obama drops out next week, stating that although he could almost certainly win the nomination by fighting it out until the convention in August, he is simply not willing to drag the party through a battle that will cripple its chances against John McCain. He then pledges to help support Sen. Clinton in her bid?with full knowledge that she will not take him up on the offer.

In one stroke, Obama will regain his messiah creds by making the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the party. His followers will be furious. The mere mention of Clinton?s name will provoke unspeakable acts. They will abandon Clinton in numbers sufficient to hand McCain the election in November.

Losing the presidency again after eight years of Bush will ruin the Democratic Party. It will become obvious that Clinton?s decision to stay in the race was the turning point in the election. The base will turn its wrath on party leaders like Howard Dean and Nancy Pelosi, who failed to push Clinton out. Obama, as the de facto head of the party, will broker negotiations to install new leaders loyal to him.

McCain will be eminently more beatable in 2012. Demographics will continue to shift in Obama?s favor as his 14- to 17-year-old supporters come of voting age. Anyone foolish enough to challenge Obama for the nomination?and don?t rule out Clinton?will go nowhere. Obama?s utopian vision for a Democratic party unified around him will be complete. QED.

He does have a point. It's not like Hillary is the worst we can do considering the options and if she is willing to destroy the party for herself then this could be a logical step forward. Considering that most obama supporters can think, they would understand the reasons behind this move and support him.

That brings up the question, why didn't McCain drop out in favor of 9/11? After all, McCain was far more popular, so it would have been in the party's best interest if he had shown willing to hand the party victory to a crazed, powermongering freak. Just like this guy wants Obama to do.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
not at all

McLame united his party - Obama divided his

- there is no equivalent of a "hitlery bulldog" for McLame - he stood out over the other lamer Rep. candidates

get real
rose.gif

and it is MY stupid idea
- not "this Guy" Wilson :|

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: LunarRay
One fine morning in the middle of the night, two dead boys came out to fight.

Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.

A deaf policeman heard the noise, came and shot the two dead boys.

If you don't believe this tale is true, ask the lamp post, he saw it too.

And then David threw tufts of dirt at random but random ducked and they hit the King square in the face.... "poop!" cried the King and a thousand iron pants fell... cuz in those days the King's word was law...

Obama is not new and refreshing... he is simply a younger version of all that proceeded him in the endeavor to grasp the power using the same means and methods. His finger like Hillary's is high in the air in search of the right thing to support. This is politics! They don't make the kind of person who stands on principle and let the bits fall where they may... Well perhaps they do.. but no one knows of them cuz they don't get anywhere. The only difference is who does who owe what kind of support to after election... Left is left and right is right... no changes from that ever will occur.. If you believe any of the utopia building dreams they spout then ... well.. One can look at a grape and believe they see an orange IF they convince themselves... but if it looks, waddles, quacks like a dang duck.. it is likely not to be a buffalo...

To see Layla you need Majnun's eyes.

Indeed!!

And we are so blind!!! We could look upon Layla and not see what is before us... Of course, we endorse Haz Khan's teaching in ways we don't understand... sorta.. But to believe that Obama transcends the normal or usual thinking of love is attaching the dreams of a lifetime to a person unknown to most of us. Perhaps you have some insight or special sense about all this but at the end of the day Obama is simply a crafty politician. He is smart and finds himself in the right place at the right time with an organization and message geared to attract the needed support to win... It is all about winning.. what else matters? He is not going to support what will lose voters. Hillary and all the rest are all the same.. It is who is more charismatic. Who makes you feel good regardless of the reality of it all. There are grapes strewn about and folks gather them up to make orange juice.
Wouldn't it be great if folks went to the House for two years at great person expense or the Senate for six foregoing all manner of personal enrichment simply to serve the population? To pay back the nation for the riches it has provided them... Or a person run for President to effect the laws the people's proxy developed and do so with the notion that they work for the people... Imagine the Congress being told what to do by the people and a President enforcing the will of the people... Why does Obama and Hillary and the rest tell us what they will do... Why don't we tell them what we want them to do.. ?? And kick them into Haz Khan's utopia if they fail to do it... with love of course..

I need not see the duck to know it is a duck... I can use other means to test this 'observation'... Cows don't often quack..

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I have no insight or special sense. I believe we are dying and need to wake up. We need disruptive change and Obama is the most proximate to it. His base is average people with 50 bucks to give. I think that's merganser, not duck.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
not at all

McLame united his party - Obama divided his

- there is no equivalent of a "hitlery bulldog" for McLame - he stood out over the other lamer Rep. candidates

get real
rose.gif

and it is MY stupid idea
- not "this Guy" Wilson :|

Hehehehe, I call it anti serendipity and Mcstained (by the Keating fiasco long forgotten) has lots of it... It was he who was in the A4 that took the missile hit on Forestall that started the fires and almost sank the ship... and he who was in the A4 that took a hit over Vietnam resulting in his capture and years there.. no he's not a very lucky fellow. Like those events he now finds himself just like Obama and Hillary... In the right spot at the right time with no real competition and don't ya think the Right would love to have found someone .. anyone who could stand up to him. So now we see Johnny at the presumptive helm of the Right.
The only thing that matters come November is the states that can be swung one way or the other... Obama can't swing the states... Hillary can't either... It will be Mclucky at the helm and god help the nation. I don't think Obama split the party. I think folks don't care one twit about much of it. They are Left or Right or the folks who decide elections.. and they decide based on how they feel. Are they ready for Obama or Hillary... nah.. not this decade.
My guess is that California will go Right as well as Pennsylvania. Heck, it could be a landslide for Johnny... Oh my... Lions and Tigers and Bears... Poor Moonbeam, another eight year wait till Santa comes again.

Jun 26, 2007
I like Obama, it's the main thing McCain has going for himself.

If it's between Obama and McCain, McCain will win.

The only thing that makes me laugh out loud is that people actually BELIEVE that they are different once in the white hous.

LOL, you'd think pot is legal in the US with so many stupid people.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I have no insight or special sense. I believe we are dying and need to wake up. We need disruptive change and Obama is the most proximate to it. His base is average people with 50 bucks to give. I think that's merganser, not duck.

Sure.. The Peacock and the Peahen... I'd agree but it is the 'disruptive' part of that that won't allow folks to vote for him in the places he needs to swing to get the needed electors... They don't cotton changes and Obama may indeed be a change. But a change from what to what? Bush did what he did and folks just go on about plucking their corn or selling their wares as if nothing happened at all. They'd rather anything than change. The entire country seems to forget WMD/Delivery Systems and 45 days till they are launched... all because they would rather bury their heads in quick sand than see ripples in the water. So, ergo, we'll elect someone and go back to sleep knowing that upon the wall of freedom stands us all but not one of us is awake save the savvy few drinking Jamaica Blue coffee in fine china cups in my White House...

edit: BTW... go ask a Merganser if it is not a duck... IF it responds with "That is Mr. Duck to you" then you'll know who'll be the next VP...

Feb 10, 2000
This thread is proof positive that being an "Elite Member" doesn't insulate you from delusions of grandeur and general wackiness.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
This thread is proof positive that being an "Elite Member" doesn't insulate you from delusions of grandeur and general wackiness.

You need *more* proof ..

what delusions?
:Q

the 'clown' or 'borg' icons don't give you a clue :p

"elite members" are a dime-a-dozen; a
lifer" who managed to not get banned over-and-over .. however, true chaotic insanity genius that attempts to explain rationally is rare; there are no delusions

Much rarer - beyond that - is the person that uses and understands insanity; revels in chaos and excels

rose.gif

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: RY62

Remember how you felt when the SCOTUS ruled on Bush v Gore in 2000? I think the article in the original post is pointing out that, when the supers decide this nomination, half of the Dem party is going to feel something like that.

The way it's shaping up, there could be a lot of similarities between this primary and the general of 2000. Both were very close races, both had issues with votes not being counted, both had vote problems in Florida, the GE in 2000 ended with the SCOTUS making the decision, and this will likely end with the supers making the decision.

I doubt that the nominee, whoever it might be, will come out of the primary looking like a politcal winner to the whole party. It's more likely that half of the Dem party will feel victory momentum while the other half gets to feel "bitter".

Yes, I remember how I felt. I felt pissed because THE PERSON THAT HAD MORE VOTES DIDN'T WIN!

Obama has more delegate, more votes and more states won. Your emotional plea is an incredibly bad correlation to reality in this case.

You, apoppin and the author are essentially proclaiming that the 2000 election is the proper way to handle future cases. Let the person that cries the loudest get their way.

I can guarantee you that two people that I know, myself and my wife, would never vote for Hillary if she secured the nomination in this manner. And I am pretty confident that we are not the only ones. If she had just won it based on the votes and delegates, I would probably support her (but only because McCain has been reborn as Bush-Lite)....but if it comes about in any other manner, she can go down in flames for all I care.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Originally posted by: RY62

Remember how you felt when the SCOTUS ruled on Bush v Gore in 2000? I think the article in the original post is pointing out that, when the supers decide this nomination, half of the Dem party is going to feel something like that.

The way it's shaping up, there could be a lot of similarities between this primary and the general of 2000. Both were very close races, both had issues with votes not being counted, both had vote problems in Florida, the GE in 2000 ended with the SCOTUS making the decision, and this will likely end with the supers making the decision.

I doubt that the nominee, whoever it might be, will come out of the primary looking like a politcal winner to the whole party. It's more likely that half of the Dem party will feel victory momentum while the other half gets to feel "bitter".

Yes, I remember how I felt. I felt pissed because THE PERSON THAT HAD MORE VOTES DIDN'T WIN!

Obama has more delegate, more votes and more states won. Your emotional plea is an incredibly bad correlation to reality in this case.

You, apoppin and the author are essentially proclaiming that the 2000 election is the proper way to handle future cases. Let the person that cries the loudest get their way.

I can guarantee you that two people that I know, myself and my wife, would never vote for Hillary if she secured the nomination in this manner. And I am pretty confident that we are not the only ones. If she had just won it based on the votes and delegates, I would probably support her (but only because McCain has been reborn as Bush-Lite)....but if it comes about in any other manner, she can go down in flames for all I care.

You are grossly misrepresenting my opinions.

My post that you quoted was in response to the following statement: People keep bringing up how the Obama/Clinton fight is hurting the Democratic party and its chance against McCain, but I have yet to hear a convincing explanation of why that's true.

I didn't agree with the author. In fact, I was the first to disagree by posting the following statement: This, to me, is even crazier than asking Clinton to drop out. One thing about the long primary season, it gives people time to think up some crazy stuff and make it sound almost logical.

My post was simply an explanation of how the long fight is hurting the party. I'm all for fighting it out until the end. It's getting more interesting by the day. In my opinion the Obama campaign is beginning to self-destruct.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Sure.. The Peacock and the Peahen... I'd agree but it is the 'disruptive' part of that that won't allow folks to vote for him in the places he needs to swing to get the needed electors... They don't cotton changes and Obama may indeed be a change. But a change from what to what? Bush did what he did and folks just go on about plucking their corn or selling their wares as if nothing happened at all. They'd rather anything than change. The entire country seems to forget WMD/Delivery Systems and 45 days till they are launched... all because they would rather bury their heads in quick sand than see ripples in the water. So, ergo, we'll elect someone and go back to sleep knowing that upon the wall of freedom stands us all but not one of us is awake save the savvy few drinking Jamaica Blue coffee in fine china cups in my White House...

edit: BTW... go ask a Merganser if it is not a duck... IF it responds with "That is Mr. Duck to you" then you'll know who'll be the next VP...

Humanity is asleep but is having bad dreams. I don't want to change but I gotta stop these dreams. A mighty tide is rising and will sweep stasis away. apoppin's God of Chaos is coming down the chimney.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Humanity is asleep but is having bad dreams. I don't want to change but I gotta stop these dreams. A mighty tide is rising and will sweep stasis away. apoppin's God of Chaos is coming down the chimney.

uh -- no

she is a Goddess and will simply restore the balance
- watch out your own chimney does not get swept .. away
rose.gif

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
this guy is insane. Obama dropping out would be suicide for the Democratic Party and he is crazy to automatically assume McCain will not get re-elected. Not only that he's assuming Clinton will lose to McCain.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: JS80
this guy is insane. Obama dropping out would be suicide for the Democratic Party and he is crazy to automatically assume McCain will not get re-elected. Not only that he's assuming Clinton will lose to McCain.

Obama staying in is suicide for the Dems; he cannot win over McLame

Wright has poisoned Obama and he will fail

White America - majority view - doesn't like what they are now hearing and Obama has not been unable to unite the party; now Obama has to throw his Mentor and Father-figure under the Bus - and it looks really bad for him

he cannot be elected and the Super delegates will pick Hitlery over Obama
- that guys analysis is my own

I feel like I stepped into a crazy zone. P&N is a scary place.

. . . and yes, it is scary; we bring our craziness with us as you do
rose.gif