DRM:1, Legit Consumer:2, Dev: - Yet another story. (Updated: Happy endings for all)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Have you tried contacting Runic? I've read that they fix these things pretty quickly.

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Have you tried contacting Runic? I've read that they fix these things pretty quickly.

Just wow, did you bothered reading his posts and comments?

The title says it the best way. DRM hurts loyal customers more than it hurts pirates. Its silly!

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
I think you are more than obligated to do a guilt free pirate of this if you want to play again.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Sucks to hear, overall they seem like a good company. You'd think they'd just give you another copy to activate (can you do that on Steam?) and be done with it. I'd be you'd lose saved characters but atleast you could play again.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
So, I have a question then. Does this mean that all my steam library titles are subject to being bound to a specific motherboard, much like an OEM version of windows?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
So, I have a question then. Does this mean that all my steam library titles are subject to being bound to a specific motherboard, much like an OEM version of windows?

No. This problem is specific to Torghlight II, and a few other select games with heavy-handed DRM. 99% of Steam games are completely fine in this regard.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I've said it before, and I'll say it again in every single DRM related thread. The only way publishers will learn is if people stop buying their DRM-Defective products. If the game you want comes with SecuRom, limited activations, online only DRM, etc, then you don't buy it. Period, dot, end of story. This is the only way things will change.

To SunnyD, if I was in your shoes, I'd crack it and let Runic know that I did because their DRM system is broken.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
To SunnyD, if I was in your shoes, I'd crack it and let Runic know that I did because their DRM system is broken.

I wouldn't admit to a company that I was doing something illegal even if most people felt I was in the right. I'm guessing most cracks probably violate the dmca.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
I wouldn't admit to a company that I was doing something illegal even if most people felt I was in the right. I'm guessing most cracks probably violate the dmca.

Cracking software is not illegal if you own it.

That's like saying breaking your own windows to your house or care are illegal because you lost your keys.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

That's like saying breaking your own windows to your house or care are illegal because you lost your keys.

And therein lies the problem, since legally you never own software. You merely purchase a license to use said software under the terms the developer/publisher sees fit.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007

Definitely not legal, even if you feel it should be. You simply don't have the right to modify the software in any way. You don't own it, you are granted a licence to it with particular restrictions in its use.

Stream has DRM too, and its evil also. Try having a dispute with steam and watch as they lock your entire account and take all your games. Its sickening people think steam is OK, its not OK at all.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hey sunnD have you tried contacting runic? surprised someone hasn't mentioned that yet.

/giggle

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Definitely not legal, even if you feel it should be. You simply don't have the right to modify the software in any way. You don't own it, you are granted a licence to it with particular restrictions in its use.

Stream has DRM too, and its evil also. Try having a dispute with steam and watch as they lock your entire account and take all your games. Its sickening people think steam is OK, its not OK at all.

A license is a good, and you're entitled to use the product. I'd like to see someone taken to court for "cracking" software they own because of broken DRM.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
A license is a good, and you're entitled to use the product. I'd like to see someone taken to court for "cracking" software they own because of broken DRM.

He also wouldn't get taken to court if he just pirated outright. That doesn't make it not illegal.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I would never advise anyone to commit a breach of their licence, they could successfully be prosecuted and I do not want to ever be associated with that incase it ever went badly wrong. In some countries the law is better than others, but software is not defined as a good in most western countries, it is thus not covered by Goods related acts.

In my opinion games should be covered by the Sales of Goods act and such, because we have no recompense for broken products. Changing games to a good would also solve a lot of the issues we have with DRM, it would be ours, and we could sell it and trade it and borrow it and do all the other things 10 years we could do because we didn't have DRM. This is one area where I think the law just hasn't caught up to the reality of what is fair, reasonable and the common expectation.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I would never advise anyone to commit a breach of their licence, they could successfully be prosecuted and I do not want to ever be associated with that incase it ever went badly wrong. In some countries the law is better than others, but software is not defined as a good in most western countries, it is thus not covered by Goods related acts.

In my opinion games should be covered by the Sales of Goods act and such, because we have no recompense for broken products. Changing games to a good would also solve a lot of the issues we have with DRM, it would be ours, and we could sell it and trade it and borrow it and do all the other things 10 years we could do because we didn't have DRM. This is one area where I think the law just hasn't caught up to the reality of what is fair, reasonable and the common expectation.

It's not just a breach of license. It's circumventing software security, which is a DMCA violation. It also exposes you to potential viruses besides being illegal so the just crack it thing has holes even not looking at legality.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

agreed. but just the act of cracking is against the law.

I do think it should be legal IF You own the software. Situations like the OP is in are not new. Sadly they are common with older games (same thing happened to me. but i can't remember the game now) While i don't steal games i did download a crack so i could play a game i legally own.

it's a fucked up situation where the only way to play a game you legally own is to break t he law.