Driver Stop Responding...

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Guess I spoke to soon when I said it wasn't happening during gaming :/

LWVlccu.png

Specs are mostly in the sig. After about the third crash, I rebooted PC and disabled all Tweaks (reset MSI completely to stock).

In case it is a software conflict, what I run actively:
Logitech G Suite (whatever it's called) for my G19KB LCD
AIDA64
Creative Sound Suite for Soundblaster Z
MSI AB
Teamviewer
Intel drive stuff

Nothing fancy. Issues didn't exist two days ago (last time I played a game). Now I launched WoW to do my garrison chores, and driver crashes every few minutes or so (as you can see from screen shot). The gaps is me rebooting and disabling tweaks and what not. Morning crashes were me just surfing the internet (this is normal, I just lived with it).

Yeah...no idea where to even start trouble shooting since, card is stock, watching temps/usage never gets any where troubling. Right before crash sitting at 1083 (ballpark) mhz, 60% load, like 52C.

PSU is brand new Corsair HX850i, installed 2 months ago? Again zero issues until today. No visual anomalies or reason to think card is defective/dying. EDIT: Last crash listed required hard reset of PC. Music I was listening too was still playing, just video was frozen and PC unresponsive.

Any suggestions, before I go the "uninstall drivers/reinstall drivers" route? Just frustrating thing worked without issues then like usual with my NV experiences - Driver stopped responding.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Start by uninstalling any sensor/monitor utilities that queries the driver.

Just did, disabled them all, updated new drivers, crashing faster than before.

Launched WoW, soon as character loaded - crashed. Took two steps, crashed.

Guess I'll try resitting it/checking cables.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Can you monitor the voltages with CPUID HWMonitor, and see if all is OK there?

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Well drivers would be the easiest to do, so i would try that. And you said your changed your PSU two months ago, could it have had fail somehow? Any recent storms in your area.

If you have your OLD PSU trying using it?

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Disabled mods in WoW too, after crash icons got garbled:

jdS6YwE.jpg

Again, even with monitor software disabled, crashes moment character loads and within minutes of walking around.

Can you monitor the voltages with CPUID HWMonitor, and see if all is OK there?

Before I disabled monitoring software volts were around 1.06v ballpark. But I'm going off memory so will reload software and get a look before it crashes.

Well drivers would be the easiest to do, so i would try that. And you said your changed your PSU two months ago, could it have had fail somehow? Any recent storms in your area.

Driver already updated, crashing more often than old one. We had a lightning storm last night, but not sure how that would affect my PC and not her's who are on the same circuit for the house.

If you have your OLD PSU trying using it?

That is a huge pain in the ass but will try as a last resort. Haha. I updated my sig prematurely (I just bought an H110i I was going to install tomorrow guess I can put the old PSU in to test.)

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Quick run with monitor software on

Clocks: 1084mhz
Temp: 42C
Load: 62%
Volts: 1.162v

Gonna test another game.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well damn, not even more confused.

Loaded up MGS5, played a solid 10+ minutes, not a single hitch. Ran around, gunned some dudes down, temps/load/volts all decent.

Got gunned down, clicked to exit to main menu, game froze, but not PC. ALT+F4 it and now here posting.

Will re-try WoW.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
350.12 were the last good Nvidia drivers for me (I have a GTX 970), though I have only heard Maxwell owners complaining about the crashes in 352.86 and 353.06.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
350.12 were the last good Nvidia drivers for me (I have a GTX 970), though I have only heard Maxwell owners complaining about the crashes in 352.86 and 353.06.

I wasn't having issues a few days ago on 347.xx. Issues started last night it seems after a random hard PC lock up when watching Youtube videos. I thought nothing of it.

Now I can play MGS5 fine without issue (minus trying to return to main menu) but WoW crashes the driver every other step.

Time to rip the card out and inspect it. This card was going to go to the GF once I upgraded this month but it seems that might not be the plan :/

It was already RMA'd and I don't know if MSI will be as kind a second time.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I wasn't having issues a few days ago on 347.xx. Issues started last night it seems after a random hard PC lock up when watching Youtube videos. I thought nothing of it.

Now I can play MGS5 fine without issue (minus trying to return to main menu) but WoW crashes the driver every other step.

Time to rip the card out and inspect it. This card was going to go to the GF once I upgraded this month but it seems that might not be the plan :/

It was already RMA'd and I don't know if MSI will be as kind a second time.

352.86 crashed all the time on me when using Chrome, and I haven't bothered with 353.06 since people are still reporting the crashes.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
352.86 crashed all the time on me when using Chrome, and I haven't bothered with 353.06 since people are still reporting the crashes.

Gonna give 350.12 a whirl right now. Some Google-Fu says switching power management from adaptive to performance helped.

I'm positive the card and PSU are fine since I can play a game that ran the card/system harder without issue but it crashes when WoW launches.

Here is to hoping 350.12 is the key.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
I had a card doing exactly what your card is doing at one time. I don't want to be negative but I never resolved the issue after 10 months of a headache. If I ever get one again like that it will find a new home fast.

Do you get green displays on YouTube videos when your driver stops responding. I tried everything under the sun. I often wonder if I had faulty VRAM.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I had a card doing exactly what your card is doing at one time. I don't want to be negative but I never resolved the issue after 10 months of a headache. If I ever get one again like that it will find a new home fast.

Do you get green displays on YouTube videos when your driver stops responding. I tried everything under the sun. I often wonder if I had faulty VRAM.

No, the screen just flickers black for a second then goes back to normal.

Welps, 350.12 crashed moments I launched WoW, this time Event Viewer said it's usual, that it stopped and restarted but WoW image was frozen in place. By the music I can tell I could still control the game, but no visual but frozen image when it crashed.

Sooooo now gonna swap it with GF's GTX 680.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
my 460 1gb started doing this almost 3 years ago with every new nvidia driver for the last 3 years. it was worst than your problem because it kept on restarting my pc everytime it crash. it is what forced me to upgrade to a 660ti > 280x > 290.

for my 460 1gb it was 100% the new drivers because it worked fine with old driver versions.

try older driver versions? do you remember the driver version before you begun having this problem? might work for you also.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
my 460 1gb started doing this almost 3 years ago with every new nvidia driver for the last 3 years. it was worst than your problem because it kept on restarting my pc everytime it crash. it is what forced me to upgrade to a 660ti > 280x > 290.

for my 460 1gb it was 100% the new drivers because it worked fine with old driver versions.

try older driver versions? do you remember the driver version before you begun having this problem? might work for you also.

I've been using 347.xx since March without issue. This issue popped up today, well during gaming. I'd normally get a driver stopped surfing the internet randomly. I just ignored it (bought the GF a 460, it too had that issue, we got it RMA'd twice and it never went away, we just lived with it [we're fools])

Went into driver panel and switched it from Multi-Display to Single Display. Do not know what this does exactly, but figured I'd just try it.

Did half my Garrison on one toon in WoW without issue, but was running in DX9 mode with my mods disabled. Gonna get back in with DX11 and my mods enabled. See if it crashes.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Welps, it crashed.

On to plan B, swap cards out see who's driver crash her or mines.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well something is not right, some where...

Card works fine on her PC (Posting from it now). Did her WoW garrison without issue even cranked up her settings from her GTX 680 and handled it without a sweat.

Loaded up Archeage which is more demanding, and worked without issue, no hitch or driver crash. She's also running what I was before all my headaches started this morning 347.88.

Guess I'll see how the GTX 680 handles in my rig. If problem persists tomorrow will try old PSU. :/

Unrelated to my issue: She has a i5 3570K, I recently caved and upgraded to the i7 4790K. I still have my old i7 2600K lying around. Would that be a upgrade to her system? I'm guessing it will be especially now since she's doing video encodes for work. Guess while I'm swapping HSF tomorrow I'll toss my old 2600K in there for her too.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Is your 4790K overclocked? Anything overclocked? What speed is your RAM?

Sorry if I missed any specs you may have posted...

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
GTX 680 is running fine on my comp, playing WoW, ALT+TAB without issue. Definitely feel the performance loss of my GTX 780 haha. But I plan to upgrade soon so won't be permanent.

Is your 4790K overclocked? Anything overclocked? What speed is your RAM?

Sorry if I missed any specs you may have posted...

CPU is stock, I've yet to OC it as I really didn't need the performance gain over stock (yet). Kicks into 4.4ghz Turbo easily with temps in the 65C at full load.

Using DDR3 2133 Mhz Corsair Vegeance Pro @ XMP settings, which I believe are 11-11-11 but could be wrong.

Again issue didn't exist until today, everything was fine outside of random driver stop working but I've been experiencing that on the GF's end for years (just never during actual game play).

Hoping it isn't my PSU as the 680 would use less power than the 780.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
May sound like a pain, but you could switch your PSU to your GF's PC and see if it has issues again. Her i5 uses a little less power (according to Intel's TDP figures), but it might be worth a shot.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
May sound like a pain, but you could switch your PSU to your GF's PC and see if it has issues again. Her i5 uses a little less power (according to Intel's TDP figures), but it might be worth a shot.

I got my old TX750W downstairs from my recent semi-upgrade, but will also be sticking a i7 2600K into her case. So her power draw should go up (hopefully her 600W is enough.)

All else, until she experiences issues or I do when I upgrade my GPU in the next few weeks I might just let it idle. Too old to be taking PCs apart now haha.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Woof this reference cooler GTX 680 is god-awfully loud! Like holy crap! And I was under the impression my reference HD 7970 was loud. Haha.

I'm so done with reference cooler cards.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
For what it is worth, monitor all voltages coming from PSU, and run something like furmark & OCCT at the same time.
Then, see where all voltages are at when/if you get an error.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
For what it is worth, monitor all voltages coming from PSU, and run something like furmark & OCCT at the same time.
Then, see where all voltages are at when/if you get an error.

That's a good idea. Now, I will admit I don't regularly monitor my PSU. It is a i-series from Corsair so I assume the Corsair link Software will cover my needs. But if you have other software based suggestions I can use, by all means.