Dragon Age: Origins

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
It is definitely not a port. Bioware said multiple times that the PC version was their main platform.

Well I hope the videos I've seen so far are from the console versions because it doesn't look great to me anyway.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I don't know.. I don't understand how they can make Mass Effect look so good yet DA does look kind of wishy washy.

Maybe the rule system running in the background drains too many resources? Alot of AI characters walking around? Huge areas? Now that I think about it pretty much EVERYBODY was just standing around in mass effect aside from the battles which the enemies probably don't spawn until you are so close anyways. If they have entire areas of AI characters that load during entering the area I suppose it might cause performance issues.. hence lowering texture quality.

But then again.. I don't truly understand how processor usage affects graphic performance when you have a video processor for that?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I think its just that video, when I watched it on the main dragon age page its the same but the other videos look fine

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah, its definately the video. I've seen the other trailers and this one is a bad one compared to them.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
This trailer is worse than others, but don't expect a bleeding edge graphics engine. Except for Mass Effect, most of BioWare's 3D titles have always seemed to be 2-3 years behind the current state of the art to me, but the story and gameplay have never suffered for that. Personally, I'd rather they spend more of their budget on gameplay and story aspects rather than making super high-res models and textures and other eye-candy.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
It is definitely not a port. Bioware said multiple times that the PC version was their main platform.

Yep, they delayed it to port to the consoles because we all know that if the PC version launches first, no one will buy a console version because of piracy.:roll:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The textures do indeed look very low resolution, but maybe they didn't use the highest in-game settings for that trailer, who knows, maybe it's just that. I hope it is... I don't like low resolution textures especially if the game is not a console port, I'd rather have low polygons count and high resolution textures than the opposite.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Like Diablo and Starcraft have separate development teams, the same goes for Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Dragon Age is from the old school Alberta camp and the character models make the game look suspiciously like a derivative of the Aurora engine. Mass Effect used the Unreal 3 engine.

Dragon Age ditched quite a bit of graphical polish in an effort to focus more on story and gameplay to be more in-line with Bioware's older RPGS (as the developer's claim, anyway). As we all know, Mass Effect was little more than a 10 hour game if you removed the aimless Oblivion-esque horse riding side quests (aka Mako).

Of course, we'll find out of DAO actually is a much more complete game than ME, or if they were full of it and it was just an euphemism for "we had a small budget."

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
You know, I'm almost always of the opinion that developers should put gameplay before graphics, yet I see one video with low res textures and I slag them for it. I'm an asshole.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
You know, I'm almost always of the opinion that developers should put gameplay before graphics, yet I see one video with low res textures and I slag them for it. I'm an asshole.

Same here.

But still, instead of spending countless hours touching up the details on 3d objects adding more and more polygons it most likely takes a fraction of the time to beef up textures.

Like somebody else said, I can do without huge polygon counts in exchange for hi-res textures. But also, maybe the areas could just be so huge that an average graphics card doesn't have the memory for it? That's hard to believe though if you compare huge areas of others games...

I can do without pixel shaders, advanced shadowing, bloom and hi-def rendering.. just give me some nice textures!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: jonks
I'd still play this game if they used 16bit sprites.

This

I'd gladly take bad graphics if the story/gameplay is awesome. Too many gamers won't even look at a game if it has shitty graphics which is sad cus they could be missing some great games.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
After watching that video I felt like I was back in Moria in LOTRO..which is an MMO and looked way better. I hope it was just the video.

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
Originally posted by: Kalmah
Originally posted by: Pelu
lol... another crappy game for the history of PC games...

lol... more ignorance based on graphics alone.

Lets say.... more shortness crappiness on PC gaming.... well I dont really blame them, each day development of games takes more time and money lol... two things you dont have that much this days...

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Pelu
each day development of games takes more time and money. . .

The answer for this is that too many publishers and developers are pushing graphics graphics graphics and nothing else. Take some of Stardocks games, for example, Sins of a Solar Empire was a fantastic game that sold more than some big budget shooter titles, and it didn't cost nearly as much to make as those games.

I have DAO on preorder myself, unless some nasty DRM rears its head prior to launch, I will enjoy playing it in October.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Companies will pump millions into making nice graphics but then not bother to do a decent ending. Half the time it's a 10 second cutscene which basically says "the end"

pisses me off. I'd rather have passable graphics and a great story with a neat ending.

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Bateluer

I have DAO on preorder myself, unless some nasty DRM rears its head prior to launch, I will enjoy playing it in October.

November =P

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
Companies will pump millions into making nice graphics but then not bother to do a decent ending. Half the time it's a 10 second cutscene which basically says "the end"

pisses me off. I'd rather have passable graphics and a great story with a neat ending.

2 games come to mind: Bioshock and Fallout 3. Both horrible endings.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: zerocool84

I honestly didn't think either had horrible endings. Great endings? No. But certainly not horrible IMO.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: datalink7
Originally posted by: zerocool84

I honestly didn't think either had horrible endings. Great endings? No. But certainly not horrible IMO.

Compared to the previous Fallouts, Fallout 3 had a pretty poor ending. However the Broken Steel DLC of course changes all that. In fact, with the Broken Steel DLC the game doesn't even really have an ending :p