Draft...Would you serve or run?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Soybomb
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
I would serve. Anyone who ran whom I know, I would turn in or shoot them myself. Stupid bastards. :|

And then you would go to jail for murder. Excellent plan. I would call anyone who blindly obeys their government a stupid bastard.

And I would call anyone who didn't serve their country when called to do so, without question, a ungrateful, selfish traitor. This country has given you more than you could ever repay it. The everyday freedom you enjoy, the peace of mind that you have, and that your ancestors had and your decendants will have. One life is such a small price to help pay to help continue that.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Beau
I would serve. Anyone who ran whom I know, I would turn in or shoot them myself. Stupid bastards. :|

And then you would go to jail for murder. Excellent plan. I would call anyone who blindly obeys their government a stupid bastard.

And I would call anyone who didn't serve their country when called to do so, without question, a ungrateful, selfish traitor. This country has given you more than you could ever repay it. The everyday freedom you enjoy, the peace of mind that you have, and that your ancestors had and your decendants will have. One life is such a small price to help pay to help continue that.
No doubt, but I still contend that as a good citizen your job is to also keep your government in check. Sending people off to die as cannon fodder in an unnecessary war would not be a worthy cause and I wouldn't support it nor would I kill for it. If the cause were right I would serve, but since the government hasn't always made the best decisions in these matters before I think it would be worth deciding if its truly a battle worth fighting.

edit: of course I feel as though the government is also rapidly eroding away freedoms that my ancestors have and I have doubts my decendants will have near as much as I have. ;)

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001

God Bless you, I would do the same thing.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BentValve

Now that is just a fvcking stupid thing to say. That is all we need. People who try to dramatize and browbeat others just for a personal satisfaction all regarding something very unlikely to happen(the draft). Both of you grow the hell up. There is no personal gain in shooting someone who refuses to serve. People like you are what cause problems to begin with. Regardless if you are sarcastic or not it doesn't blunt your underlying message one bit. You think that somehow in the unlikely event of a draft you would watch someone get drafted and they would say "welp moving to Canada see you later Nik or BentValve." You think they will tell some rabid conservative that already beats his own chest about how much he would kill people like that? What if you got drafted before them? Would you go AWOL to go back and shoot them?

Please all that BS rhetoric about shooting someone because they dodged the draft is asinine. I have no problem with someone who says that someone is a pussy if they run soley because are scared or because they like to priss around. As for those who have moral or religous objections that is all handled under the Classifications given to people during the lottery. So the only real ones left are those that have politcal reasons or are scared. Neither is an acceptable excuse to dodge the draft and nor should it be unpunishable. What you two are advocating is shooting the sons of bitches. WTF is wrong with you two? Critisizing those who choose not to serve is totally different than wishing them personal harm in the form of violence. Like I said grow up.

txgixer

Jun 12, 2002
If you chose to dodge/run for whatever reason, then find another country to call home.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Beau

No doubt, but I still contend that as a good citizen your job is to also keep your government in check. Sending people off to die as cannon fodder in an unnecessary war would not be a worthy cause and I wouldn't support it nor would I kill for it. If the cause were right I would serve, but since the government hasn't always made the best decisions in these matters before I think it would be worth deciding if its truly a battle worth fighting.

edit: of course I feel as though the government is also rapidly eroding away freedoms that my ancestors have and I have doubts my decendants will have near as much as I have. ;)

Of course it is our duty to check on the government. But there are times to do this. Fight for your country, stand up for what it's tasks are. Ask questions along the way, figure out what the motives are, but never stop supporting her.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I would gladly lay down my life for my Country.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
I would leave. None of this "if my country calls me to fight for freedom blah blah blah" bullshit. I was never brainwashed with that nonsense as born American children seem to be. If you think attacking Saddam will protect your freedom, you are stupid. That's all there is to it.

A defensive war, yes I would go. Attacking another country that is not a threat at all, no. "An evil man" is not a reason to start a war, or else we would be at war with half the world.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Evadman

This is what I'm talking about. Laying down your life for a country that started an unecessary war... brainwashing.

EndGame

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Jellomancer
I would leave. None of this "if my country calls me to fight for freedom blah blah blah" bullshit. I was never brainwashed with that nonsense as born American children seem to be. If you think attacking Saddam will protect your freedom, you are stupid. That's all there is to it.

A defensive war, yes I would go. Attacking another country that is not a threat at all, no. "An evil man" is not a reason to start a war, or else we would be at war with half the world.

Ah, isn't that special. Almost brought a tear to my eye!;) LOL!

Hey, the great thing is, you can say what you want since you're here!:) Now actually avoiding a call to active duty in the VERY remote chance a draft will ever again be enacted, well, that's something I guess you'll have to deal and live with should it ever occur. There has always been, and will always be those whom take everything they have here for granted, take all they can and feel no duty to give anything back, the good thing is though, those people are by far the minority.

Perhaps there are those whom can simply not tolerate actuall battelfield conflict and killing, or, are just plain scared, that's understandable especially in the society we live in today. The good thing is, in todays military, you can still serve and support and never have to see the battlefield or killing first hand! Perhpas that would be a way for some of you!:)

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
If you chose to dodge/run for whatever reason, then find another country to call home.

I wish alot of people thought like this the day Clinton was elected. If they had...we possibly wouldn't be in the mess we are today. :)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

It's called exaggeration. The draft isn't "for those who agree only" --it's for every male, regardless. No if's, and's, or but's. If you're drafted, you fscking go. I hate people who don't do their duty. It doesn't matter what the government is sending you to. If you're drafted, you step up and do your duty without asking questions. Who knows. Maybe the service will crush that rebellious attitude and give you a better direction in life.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

This is what I'm talking about. Laying down your life for a country that started an unecessary war... brainwashing.

Trollomancer, why do you live in the United States?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

It's called exaggeration. The draft isn't "for those who agree only" --it's for every male, regardless. No if's, and's, or but's. If you're drafted, you fscking go. I hate people who don't do their duty. It doesn't matter what the government is sending you to. If you're drafted, you step up and do your duty without asking questions. Who knows. Maybe the service will crush that rebellious attitude and give you a better direction in life.

There is a difference in being a blind fool and do what you believe to be right and necessary. Give it up Nik. You give Conservatives a bad name.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

You know I pretty much laughed at his comment because I thought most of the people on these forums were above being blind and one sided. Then you walked in and all of a sudden Jellomancer scored his first point ever in my eyes. Sure he is still wrong for 99.9% of people but for that 0.1 % like Nik he is dead on.

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Millennium

Now that is just a fvcking stupid thing to say. That is all we need. People who try to dramatize and browbeat others just for a personal satisfaction all regarding something very unlikely to happen(the draft). Both of you grow the hell up. There is no personal gain in shooting someone who refuses to serve. People like you are what cause problems to begin with. Regardless if you are sarcastic or not it doesn't blunt your underlying message one bit. You think that somehow in the unlikely event of a draft you would watch someone get drafted and they would say "welp moving to Canada see you later Nik or BentValve." You think they will tell some rabid conservative that already beats his own chest about how much he would kill people like that? What if you got drafted before them? Would you go AWOL to go back and shoot them?

Please all that BS rhetoric about shooting someone because they dodged the draft is asinine. I have no problem with someone who says that someone is a pussy if they run soley because are scared or because they like to priss around. As for those who have moral or religous objections that is all handled under the Classifications given to people during the lottery. So the only real ones left are those that have politcal reasons or are scared. Neither is an acceptable excuse to dodge the draft and nor should it be unpunishable. What you two are advocating is shooting the sons of bitches. WTF is wrong with you two? Critisizing those who choose not to serve is totally different than wishing them personal harm in the form of violence. Like I said grow up.

Thank God that patriotic people like Nik and myself are still very plentiful in this country. Odviously we would first try and arrest the citizen who will not fight , only as a last resort would he be shot.
I meant what I said and nothing will ever change that.

God Bless America

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002

Because it's a damn good country. And if it's half as good as I think it is, it won't force me to fight a war I don't believe in. A nation is its people. Like it or not, I'm a part of this nation. Find me a good cause and I will fight for it. "Saddam may or may not have "WMD"" is not a good cause.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Thank God that patriotic people like Nik and myself are still very plentiful in this country. Odviously we would first try and arrest the citizen who will not fight , only as a last resort would he be shot.

God Bless America

Why would you shoot them? There are plenty of people like me who would serve if drafted. It doesn't matter because the draft isn't going to happen anyway. I just get tired of childish antics. I could understand if you thought they would be a pussy(which I do). But shooting them? This isn't a movie bud.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I wouldn't run to the nearest border... I'd seek refuge in a safe country, like beautiful North Korea! ;)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I have far too many medical problems to be drafted, unless they want to put me behind a desk.

If that were not the case, or if they wanted to put me behind a desk, I would go.

Viper GTS

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001

Because it's a damn good country. And if it's half as good as I think it is, it won't force me to fight a war I don't believe in. A nation is its people. Like it or not, I'm a part of this nation. Find me a good cause and I will fight for it. "Saddam may or may not have "WMD"" is not a good cause.

These words nearly bring tears to my eyes. Do you have any idea what our forefathers gave to make this counrty what is it today? I don't think you understand because nobody with a heart at all could have said such cold words as what you have just done.

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001

God Bless America

Why would you shoot them? There are plenty of people like me who would serve if drafted. It doesn't matter because the draft isn't going to happen anyway. I just get tired of childish antics. I could understand if you thought they would be a pussy(which I do). But shooting them? This isn't a movie bud.

I am not going to argue with you, its saddening to hear your words. I am getting out of this thread.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

Because it's a damn good country.

So fight for it. Period.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Umm. I wouldn't be too happy about it, but I guess I would serve. The US cares about it's soldiers much more than Russia for example. They probably wouldn't take me cus I am a fat fvck. :D