Draft...Would you serve or run?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YNos

Jan 7, 2002
one bad move doesent justify another. if they wouldtake me, i would go...but they wont take me. <something about large rods holding my leg togather dosent apeal to them> i would be all for joining the air force.
just my look on it.
just to steal someone elses sig...."arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win, you are a retard."

matmax

May 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari
As a citizen of this great country, you have no right to refuse to serve in such a fundamental institution as the military. Moral clarity is not the job of soldiers/would-be soldiers. Look at Israel.

I couldn't have said it better myself, thanks.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I think everyone should have the right to choose. I don't think they should be forced. I would not go unless it was for a very, very good reason. I think I would rather take my chances in jail because going to war is like committing suicide without alot of training(might as well jump off a bridge) .

Just curious if one went to jail would you only stay there as long as the war is going on? I mean if you went and something came up and the war never started would they let you out or would you have to stay in there?

ChrisCramer247

Platinum Member
Dec 6, 2001
I wouldn't be taken by the armed services even if drafted with two complete knee reconstruction and bad achilles tendens.

However if this wasn't a factor I would serve if our way of life was in danger, or an immediate threat to our country or my family. I would not go to war against Sadam right now if drafted, I would however go to N. Korea.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Just to have this kind of possible action is such a reflection how off our President and his posse are. All this guy wants, since he's taken office is war, war, war. I am all for protecting ourselves and trying to help out in this old world, but this stuff here is going way too far. I hate Saddam and many others just as much. But the theory get them before they get us is being played a bit out of reality for right now. I think all this war stuff is just a diversion of how poorly their decisions or "lack their of decisions" have been concerning our economic situations.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
if i heard that they started up a draft, i'd join the airforce even before they sent me a notice..

crumpet19

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: FettsBabe
<snip>
I'm not dying nor will I kill other people for oil or any other inappropriate reason.

Only drafting men is sexist. If we are going to have a draft lets draft men and women.

<rant>
I totally agree. I would fight if the US was in dire need of troops. But, I'm not going to fight just because some jackass (or group of jackasses) wants more power, money, or oil.

As for that last comment on drafting women. - I totally agree that it is sexist to draft only men and not women. I'm sick of all of these women I know talking about how men have it so much better (more money, better jobs, various other reasons (which may be true but, I'm not debating that)), but then those same women have said that they do not feel that they should be drafted.

I feel that it would be wrong to not draft women, but as a male I'm not sure that i feel it would be a good thing to draft women either.

Hypothetical situation:
I'd be afraid that if I was fighting next to a women, that I might be side tracked by her (typical male behavior) and therefor not have my mind completely on the task at hand. Another issue that i can see is: What if i got injured? realistically speaking it would be much easier for the average male to pull me out and to safety than it would be for the average female to pull me to safety.

Of course, you could have segregation between sexes, but that is just wrong.
</rant>

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I volunteered for the Navy and served from 76-80 as an FTG. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want me now but if my country called I would go.

What I find ironic is the people saying they would not serve because they know better than the government and yet someone being completely mistaken about the government?s intentions started this entire thread.

For all of those that say they just wouldn't go no matter what, I say go and Godspeed, get the hell out of the country.

For the ones that are just politically biased like Classy who is calling Bush a warmonger let's look at the record. The US has gone to war in exactly one country since Pres. Bush took office and that was Afghanistan who harbored and supported the terrorists that attacked us. They ruling party refused to give the terrorists up or shut down the training camps. We did it for them and helped install a new government.

Now what other country have we gone to war with?

Exactly.