Downloaded first and last game with Steam-give me a DVD please

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
You did say something before that and I quote it in a previous post. In regards to me cleaning up my posts, I just realized that I was just lowering myself to your level by letting my anger get the best of me. I therefore took corrective action. You are not worth it and I will not waste anymore time on responding to you.

Yes I did report it, reported this as well, and we both may have some sort of corrective action coming.

In regards to me being a bitch...I can only say it is easy for a small person like you to sit and run their mouth here on a forum.

You are not worth my effort typing this and will be my last response to you.

Funny, the only post I made before the boo hoo comment and that is the first post you quoted me on was me saying and I quote from post #16 in this thread

Steam always caps out my DL speeds expect during the major summer/holiday sales where they are simply slammed. As for Deus Ex HR, regardless of where you buy it for the PC, you have to use Steam for it as it is a Steamworks game.

The next post I make is post #22 which is

Oh boo hoo, it is a free service. They have the ads turned on by default but you can go and disable them on your own. At least it isn't like Xbox Live where they pay for the service are are forced to see ads taking up a lot of the screen space with no options to take it off.

That is when you quote me and go bat shit crazy.

Get your shit straight.

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
I honestly didn't know this was a "hashed out" discussion and was/is controversial or is like talking religion or football, otherwise I would not have brought it up.

I just got frustrated and perhaps over reacted. Yet I believe the way this stuff works does cause more headaches than simple physical media install and be may be more problematic. I guess I am old school and like to have product in hand. lol Then again the games are cheap with the 75% off sale and I love a great sale on a good game! I will give it a chance and see if I can master the STEAM experience. (Though I will buy physical media next time as I prefer something in hand unless I see a major sale on STEAM and a killer low price.)

(Mastering it like...figuring out.... It crashes after I exit the game and it causes my system to stop and I have to go into task manager and kill steam and the game to get things working again. Installed it to my 1 tb second disk "d" instead of my 128Gb SSD "c" drive which contains my OS. The process of running the game causes my "d" drive to be mounted like the c drive. That along with installing to a other than default place is giving me a headache but I will none-the-less trouble shoot it and figure it out. Ready to move the install to my ssd "c" drive to see if that helps.)

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Steam installs the most recent build any time you install. There is no install/patch process with it. This is good and bad. Once you update, there is no way to get the old bits back if you need to (barring your own backups). This can be bad if a patch introduces a show-stopper bug.

Not show-stopping but Dawn of War had some annoying changes with later patches. On my disc version I can just choose which patch I wanna use but frankly I dont care any more.

The worst ones are in games like Skyrim where people lose their saves or have them borked beyond use.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
LOL, my god, you are a cry baby that goes and cleans up his posts. Funny, I never called you a name (till I called you a bitch, which I stand by), boo hoo got you this butt hurt? My god man, you need to freaking grow up.

Also, mods, if you are reading this, feel free to look at my PM's he sent me, more lol there.

Hey buddy, just cuz you been here 10 years longer than him doesn't necessarily make you right. Or decent.

Also, talking shit like that really doesn't make you a grown up either. Just a child with a pissy attitude.

Big Roger

Jun 16, 2008
I have an SSD for C: drive but my steam folder just goes on a 1TB drive along with a load of other stuff. I sometimes delete a game I know I won't play again but I don't have a huge collection. Just leave your Steam folder on a separate drive. Set the settings to not inform you of news. Have it go straight to the library instead of store and that's about it.

I do miss the physical manuals as I often like to have a read through. The last title I bought a manual for was DCS Black Shark, now that needs a manual bur as for the rest well, they don't really need all that packaging. A waste of materials really.

I remember early memories of when I would get a NES game and part of the anticipation was wondering what the box would look like...lol. I'm not so much like that anymore :)

EDIT, agreed shortylickens.. Some people don't quite see the contradictory nature of their posts. Also, a bit like posting how a subject's been done to death. It's somewhat being a bit like going up to someone random in the pub after overhearing the conversion and telling them to change the subject, because you've already come to your own subjective conclusions... and then walking off...:)

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
LOL just read the 1st page of this thread and had enough...really funny what the internet let you say, love it.

On my side, i've used Steam for many years and can't complain. Love the service, the deals and the fact that even if I format or change hardware, all I have to do is redownload the games i've bought and play them no questions asked, unlike many other services with limited installs.

I have a 20 mbits/s cable connection and i'm downloading at 1.9-2.4 mb/s most of the time.

Don't blame Steam for your slow internet connection and like many already said, maybe just download your games overnight and play the next day.

Is not then just buy the boxed version and be happy with your decision.

TheNewGuy

Feb 16, 2001
I love steam...don't even buy hard copies of games anymore...

Also, when I downloaded a game over the weekend, I was able to specify the drive where I wanted the game installed...

Dave

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
The text scrolling across the screen was in the game. It came up at the menu where you select new game, load game, etc. I cannot be 100% certain that it originated from the game or the steam application. It said that the latest "mission pack" etc was in the STEAM store. Tried saving a screenshot but it only saved a scren shot of my desktop even though I had the game running.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
My only comment is this.

Love it or hate it, much like what Itunes did for music, steam started doing for games. Soon most games won't even have a physical disk, we are nearing this inevitable turning point.

My experience with steam?

Didnt like it at first. Year or 2 later bought skyrim, was forced to use steam as Skyrim required steam. After 2012 summer sale in which i got close to $100 games i have always wanted to play for under $200. On top of that I can play them both on my laptop (when I travel, dont have to carry disks) and desktop without worry it may only be allowed on one computer as most to all hard copies get "codes" now, 1 time use, to active the actual game. I liked it.

O.P. I think you are just not comfortable leaving your comfort zone with physical media and/or you are a collector type person. ie if something doesnt work odds are its the disk(s) instead of tinkering with computer/harddrive.

Edit: Also OP. Forums are for discussions. Not just opinions. (opinions in discussion form are the usually substance, but it has to be in discussion form) and by your original post all I see is you having a small rant on why you don't like steam. No discussion topic. Could have followed up with "Why do you all still stick with steam with these issues?" or "Who else doesn't use steam and why?" (aka collective thought from various posters on 1 thread about some topic, not a "reason I will no longer use steam" as if random people online you don't know will care which way you play your games.)

Just some friendly advice, as you posted earlier that you thought "forums are for opinions"

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Ever since I had nearly my entire physical PC games collection stolen from me a bit over 5 years ago, I've gone nearly completely digital or physical media with digital activation, and of those I've gone almost exclusively Steam. Having nearly guaranteed access to my account on the extremely unlikely chance I lost it >> practically impossible chance of getting my media back after it's been stolen. Then there's the whole auto updating, stat tracking, achievements, Steam community, cloud support, and some of the best prices anywhere.

Physical media? No thanks.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I like steam's ads. They are relevant to gaming and often inform you of sales you might not know about, new games that are coming out soon and you can preload it (download the entire game and it will activate on the day of release), and maybe tell me about some new DLC I might be interested in. It's not like you have a nike commercial or an ad from chase bank before your game starts (like youtube videos).

It's convenient. Let it start downloading then go do something else and come back when it's done.

I Still like having the disk to add to my collection, but the convenience of digital cannot be understated. I'd rather set a game I don't have installed to download and install in one click than need to sit at my desk for 25minutes putting in disk 1, disk 2, disk 3, disk 4 over and over sometimes.

Hell Gamestop doesn't even carry physical game media anymore. They sell you a download code for their gamestop app and once it's redeemed you can get a code for steam and use it there (or you can download it through their software but I prefer steam). They only get physical copies for people who pre-order it in the store. If nobody pre-orders it they will just sell you the download code. What's the benefit? The game can never sell out. I think that's the best thing. I remember working at Toys R US and later Gamestop and we would sometimes have a really hot selling game come in like GTA3 and it be sold out and you have to turn people away. I think GTA3 sold out in my entire county. Being able to download it would prevent this. Now, selling a game out is super rare these days and the replenishments come next day, but there are some niche titles that stores don't even carry and you have to order online and wait for shipping. I'd rather download that game and play it in a couple hours.

Last edited:

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
My only comment is this.

O.P. I think you are just not comfortable leaving your comfort zone with physical media and/or you are a collector type person. ie if something doesnt work odds are its the disk(s) instead of tinkering with computer/harddrive.

Edit: Also OP. Forums are for discussions. Not just opinions. (opinions in discussion form are the usually substance, but it has to be in discussion form) and by your original post all I see is you having a small rant on why you don't like steam. No discussion topic. Could have followed up with "Why do you all still stick with steam with these issues?" or "Who else doesn't use steam and why?" (aka collective thought from various posters on 1 thread about some topic, not a "reason I will no longer use steam" as if random people online you don't know will care which way you play your games.)

Just some friendly advice, as you posted earlier that you thought "forums are for opinions"

Point taken and corrected in the original post.

Really though will the "ownership" (Having something to hold) mentally of todays market allow the digital online delivery to be sustained of something that has traditionally been a physical medium?

That is not to mention other factors such as Internet speed limiting delivery of online content.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Point taken and corrected in the original post.

Really though will the "ownership" (Having something to hold) mentally of todays market allow the digital online delivery to be sustained of something that has traditionally been a physical medium?

That is not to mention other factors such as Internet speed limiting delivery of online content.

Yes, there will always be negative sides to each coin/decision. And it will impact different people differently at various degrees.

However I personally believe the positives out weight the negatives by a large margin now that I have fully experienced it myself.

Also if I am not mistaken, I am pretty certain when you buy a disk, that is all you buy (along with cases and w/e else is inside). The data on the disk is not your ownership. Just that plain disk that so happens to have data. Which means in bizzaro world, they could technically go to your residence, take the disk erase it and give it back if you broke whatever silly rules they may have.

So the game ownership doesn't really change. Just which way you obtain and can use it.

Though I could be mistake, I read something I swear about this during the early PS2 days when I was looking over random rules/laws about technology.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
I love steam minus the fact that I can't choose where to put specific games in different locations. I got over that though.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
so if you live out in the country with dial-up you CANNOT play these games even if you bought the physical medium because the patches are just too big

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I like steam. I have pretty good dl speeds with cable though.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Oh my. ^_^ I do enjoy the occasional newb who comes onto this forum and rants about how much Steam sucks.

First it took forever to download even with fast DSL.

This doesn't really tell us anything. How fast is your DSL? Even if it's 12mb/s (1.5MB/s), DE:HR will still take a solid couple hours or so to download.

Then I tried to start the game and it tells me it will take thirty minutes to "prepare" the game to launch! WTF!? (I have a new gaming rig so its not my machine!)

No, I'm pretty sure it's your machine. Newly-downloaded games typically go through a first-time setup that involve installing DirectX and some other libraries, but that never takes a half hour to do; not even close. Either you're exaggerating, or something's seriously wrong with your computer.

Plus all the news, advertising and other stuff they hand you.

The advertisements/promo pop-ups that Steam gives you can be disabled completely.

If you're talking about the news ticker in DE:HR that gives you updates about new DLC, that has absolutely nothing to do with Steam. It's the game developers who decided to put that there. And how is that intrusive in any way?

Tried saving a screenshot but it only saved a scren shot of my desktop even though I had the game running.

To take screenshots in Steam games, use F12. Regular PrntScrn does not work in some 3D-accelerated applications for certain technical reasons. (No, this isn't Steam's fault either.)

Do you use STEAM or other digital media for games, etc.

I've been a Steam user for ~5 years, and have 400-500 games on it. Most of them I keep installed.

Why do you use STEAM?

Helluva lot more convenient than discs. Auto-patching, auto-repairing, download anywhere, and no physical junk to worry about. (Trust me, giving me more junk to put on my shelf is not good.)

Do you think STEAM/online game delivery will STAY AROUND?

Considering how Steam's user-base is steadily growing by the millions, yeah, it will probably stay around for a long time.

How much PC gaming do you do, OP? I'm assuming not much, since you're new to Steam.

And why do you type "Steam" in all-caps? It's plain ol' Steam. Not "STEAM".

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just got frustrated and perhaps over reacted. Yet I believe the way this stuff works does cause more headaches than simple physical media install and be may be more problematic. I guess I am old school and like to have product in hand. lol Then again the games are cheap with the 75% off sale and I love a great sale on a good game! I will give it a chance and see if I can master the STEAM experience. (Though I will buy physical media next time as I prefer something in hand unless I see a major sale on STEAM and a killer low price.)

I am about as old school as you can get as far as PC gaming goes. My first PC beyond the AMIGA was a 386/40. That was the day way before CD-rom and I remember floppy swapping quite well.

Let's not talk about the old STEAM and our feeling when they first came around. Let's focus on today and what STEAM is for me now.

It's a platform that works well and has all my games up to date. I have yet to have any game that I purchased on STEAM, no matter how old not work. Sometime I had to do a little tweak on how it starts, but I have forums and support that is actually helpful.

I have however had A LOT of boxes and the pictures posted reminded me of my collection. When I was in the mood to install some old games of DVD I actually did run into quite a few issues. Games by EA that didn't work anymore after patched or wouldn't even install because some hard coded path that was no longer relevant.

When I moved (oversees a few month back) I left all my game boxes behind. They took too much space, didn't do me any good anymore anyway. When I got to my location I simply logged into steam and was good to go.

Purchasing from INDY devs aside from STEAM has been my passion because I want to support them, but also a nightmare. Trying to have a log in here and there, manual update hope things work has not been fun and made me appreciate STEAM even more.

I honestly don't know what adds everyone is talking about and we have to make sure that we are talking about the same thing. It has been a while since I played Deux Ex, so I am not sure about it. But if you talk about anything that happens once you execute the game you have complain to the developer of the game.
Thinking about the original Borderlands as an example that was just a pain. But again, that was a Developer issue and has nothing what so ever to do with STEAM itself.

The only other "adds" are the things that sometimes pop up when steam starts for the first time and it usually shows only 4-5 things that are currently release or are on sale. These are actually something I want to see and it never occurred to me to think of them as obtrusive. More of a hint by a friend not something that is annoying. Especially since I can close them with one click. Obtrusive is something very different.

Making a long post short. The only reason I would think you want a box is to display it in your room or you can get it cheaper (In Germany you can actually find PC game deals still in the local retail stores). If you store them in a closet and not use them you be better of getting your things on STEAM since patching, access from anywhere and general service is MUCH better than a single box install ever was! Even with a slow DSL connection your time to play is shorter than driving to town, or ordering it online and install.
And to highlight one huge point for STEAM... pre-load is with retail out of the question!
Borderlands 2 is already on my hard drive and is ready for decryption once launch day comes around.

My collection: http://steamcommunity.com/id/blackthunder68/games?tab=all

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Wow... Some people in this thread need a vacation. I've seen more civilized discussion in P&N.

Anyway, steam is great when you have a decent connection. Unfortunately not everybody does so there's bound to be a few who don't agree with how steam works. We're moving towards digital only gaming and cloud based data storage yet many developed countries don't have a good enough high speed network through the country to make this seamless for all.

I love it simply for the sales. The ability to launch all my games without disc swapping is also great. The interface could still use some improvement but it's still better than the competition.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Artista said:
First it took forever to download even with fast DSL.

Oxymoron :biggrin:

Artista said:
Then I tried to start the game and it tells me it will take thirty minutes to "prepare" the game to launch! WTF!? (I have a new gaming rig so its not my machine!)

Even at the low 75% price off it is so inconvenient. (Like installing a new WIndows build and having to install the ~200 downloads and patches. Very time intensive.)
And yet dispite how long it took you to download it was still faster than it would take you to find, buy, receive, and install from Amazon.

Artista said:
Plus all the news, advertising and other stuff they hand you.
I see this argument from the anti-steam party in all the Steam threads. Do I have some special setting configured on my client or do I just have a higher tolerance? I boot my system and log into steam and it simply opens as a tray icon nothing in my face if I spend the next 4 hours not gaming I never see anything from steam (save for friend list activity). Its not until I have launched and subsequently exited a game that I get their ads (1-8). Usually, Im happy to check them out becasue its like midweek madness or the weekend sale Im always interested to see what I can get a deal on.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Artista said:

I would argue that that mentality is already dead. Music used to physical as well and now, depending on how you look at the numbers (total songs vs profit) DD is winning over physical.

I would suspect e-books will get there once that industry goes throught the growing pains. Not being a consumer of them myself but knowing people who are the added restrictions and insignificant (if at all) cost savings is still driving paper sales.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I used to have the same attitude about Steam, but the reality of it is, I'm no longer paying $40-60 for a game. I'm paying $1-20 in 99% of the cases and (on a personal level) that overrules any objections I had about not getting physical media. Add to that there are a plethera of games available that you may not be even to find in a physical store or heard of in the first place.

Physical media never meant you "owned" the item...but really that's a completely different subject that I don't even want to go into. Ultimately for me if the price works with the tradeoff, I don't have issues with it.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I would argue that that mentality is already dead. Music used to physical as well and now, depending on how you look at the numbers (total songs vs profit) DD is winning over physical.

I would suspect e-books will get there once that industry goes throught the growing pains. Not being a consumer of them myself but knowing people who are the added restrictions and insignificant (if at all) cost savings is still driving paper sales.

Actually I do not see ebooks being as popular. Many people have issues with eyes hurting after looking at a screen for a while, and the reliancy on batteries when before reading didn't.

I think its a great alternative for people who wish it, but I don't see this over running the physical books like games, movies and music is turning to.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Actually I do not see ebooks being as popular. Many people have issues with eyes hurting after looking at a screen for a while, and the reliancy on batteries when before reading didn't.

I think its a great alternative for people who wish it, but I don't see this over running the physical books like games, movies and music is turning to.

You've obviously never seen/used/know about real ebook readers that aren't just applications in tablets.

e-ink screens that have properties extremely similar to paper, and are illuminated exactly the same way (light reflected off the front).

Battery life measured in weeks/months.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
You've obviously never seen/used/know about real ebook readers that aren't just applications in tablets.

e-ink screens that have properties extremely similar to paper, and are illuminated exactly the same way (light reflected off the front).

Battery life measured in weeks/months.

That is interesting, have to drop me a link of it if you find it.

Still don't see it as popular as the digital media has become. I personally do not like the ebook stuff either, I would rather have a book in hand and read it via paper/binding.