Downloaded first and last game with Steam-give me a DVD please

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
Forgive the slight rant. :biggrin:

I was on the forum last night and noted the daily deal on steam for Deus X: Human Revolution. I bought it and almost instantly realized it was a mistake.

First it took forever to download even with fast DSL.

Then I tried to start the game and it tells me it will take thirty minutes to "prepare" the game to launch! WTF!? (I have a new gaming rig so its not my machine!)

Even at the low 75% price off it is so inconvenient. (Like installing a new WIndows build and having to install the ~200 downloads and patches. Very time intensive.) Plus all the news, advertising and other stuff they hand you. I thought of Steam as infestware / useless back in the day of Half-life and I guess they haven't gotten much better.

Used games from Amazon and other places make it almost painless and not much more expensive to get a good used PC game.

Make mine DVD. (next time and forever)

Edit: Given the issues that people face with STEAM:

Do you use STEAM or other digital media for games, etc.

Do you use physical media and collect?

Why do you use STEAM?

Do you think STEAM/online game delivery will STAY AROUND?

Thoughts?

Edit: If you have a different opinion, that is fine, you may like Steam and that is fine. I respect different opinions. If you do, no need to call me (or anyone) names or make rude remarks towards me. If you do I will report the post and ask a moderator to review the matter. Thank you.

Last edited:

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
The new digital age with DSL sucks.

Buy a game, let it download over night.

The next day when you're getting ready to play, prepare for the inevitable 2.8 gigabyte patch that takes another 4 hours to download.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
I have no problems with Steam. I have a 12.5Mbit (1.5MB/sec) cable connection, and Steam are mostly downloading at my top speed.

Honestly I have no other complaints other than the fact that you cannot choose where to install your game. However, one can always use Steam mover to move a game to another drive.

Also, when you have downloaded your game you can make a backup so you don't need to download it again when reinstalling.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Steam games download at 6.5MB/s for me. That's under 30 minutes for a 10GB game (they install far faster than the same game would off a DVD for me).

Your problem is your internet, not the distribution method. That is fine.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I never considered downloading any game I have to pay for. I guess I'm old fashioned...If I buy a game, I want the physical product in my hand, with a quick installation, download patches if applicable and ready to go. And with older, DRM free games, I can play them "forever", not worrying if I will ever "see" them again because of some screw up in some main server somewhere.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I'm a Steam addict. Most games don't take that long to download, and anyway, who cares? It's faster and easier than ordering online and waiting for shipping. It's probably faster, and definitely easier than driving to a store and buying a copy (which you probably can't do for many of the games that people here play on Steam, including the one under discussion in this thread). They offer a huge library of PC games, including a truly massive selection of older games that you can get for less than $10 when you need a diversion. Seriously, what's not to like?

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I'm in the same boat with 6Mbps DSL.

If i want a game immediately, I'll buy it at Fry's or somewhere. Otherwise, it's this:

The next day when you're getting ready to play, prepare for the inevitable 2.8 gigabyte patch that takes another 4 hours to download.

Big Roger

Jun 16, 2008
I have cable and I don't have a problem downloading and installing the titles I want and getting up and running with ease. Updates are done for you and you don't have to worry about keeping your DVD safe etc. I miss reading a manual and having a physical product but realy that's not important.

Downloading Deus Ex HR for a fiver now, glad I was made aware. Loved the original some13 years ago or so and have heard good things about this. For a fiver!!! Well that's a no brainer.

Used to stear clear of Steam but I've given in and I actually find it relatively easy and trouble-free to use.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The new digital age with DSL sucks.

I've got a couple hundred Steam games and NONE of them have a 2.8 gigabyte update.

Also, on steam you can disable ALL automatic updates and just run the game as you see fit.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I've got a couple hundred Steam games and NONE of them have a 2.8 gigabyte update.

Also, on steam you can disable ALL automatic updates and just run the game as you see fit.

i don't think this is true, at least for a freshly install game. like for half-life 2 on discs. it forces you to update to the latest version when activating. and im pretty sure all the patches and updates are fuckhuge at this point. but after that then you can use offline mode.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Even at the low 75% price off it is so inconvenient and not worth it. Plus all the news, advertising and other crap they hand you. I thought of Steam as infestware / useless back in the day of
Half-life and I guess they haven't gotten much better.

Yep, cars suck, horse and buggy are so much better.

With a car you have to buy gas, oil, tires, insurance, title, maintenance,,,,.

Steam is the future of digital media, get over it.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Who plays games without them patched anyways? I'd rather have a bug-free game and be 'inconvenienced' by a patch.

Actually, I don't understand anybody who ignores updates and patches to anything.

Also, waiting 5 days for a cd in the mail is more convenient than waiting 3 hours for a download? Personally I hate having to dig out my cd case to install an old game. I've purchased digital versions of old games for like $3 just because I was too lazy to swap discs(that I own already) for a half hour during install.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you are just stuck in your old ways. Good luck keeping the kids off your lawn.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Steam is so much more convenient. I'd rather let games download overnight than babysit a physical install. "Please insert Disc 4 into Drive Z:"

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Steam always caps out my DL speeds expect during the major summer/holiday sales where they are simply slammed. As for Deus Ex HR, regardless of where you buy it for the PC, you have to use Steam for it as it is a Steamworks game.

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
I never considered downloading any game I have to pay for. I guess I'm old fashioned...If I buy a game, I want the physical product in my hand, with a quick installation, download patches if applicable and ready to go. And with older, DRM free games, I can play them "forever", not worrying if I will ever "see" them again because of some screw up in some main server somewhere.

Yep, that makes two of us!

That said, I just installed Black Mesa and the SDK, no problems with Steam. I do remember when it came out though, what a POS it was out of the gate, but it has progressed well.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Steam is awesome. The longest it has ever taken to Download a newly purchased game was 2 hours. I didn't have to go anywhere, stand in a checkout line, worry if the game was in Stock, or any number of other things. My games are always up to date, I can purchase DLC just as easily, buy older games you will never find in a Store, and always have available a far greater variety of games than any Store would Stock even if it were New.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I like Steam because of their great sales. Gotten some really great games at significant discounts. I will agree though that broadband speeds and cost aren't keeping up with the digital age. Fast connections are still very expensive. Caps too are getting to be a big issue.

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
I didn't think about it but guess I should have expected a couple of a$$holes to call names and/or make disparaging remarks. If you politely disagree that's fine. We all have different opinions, that is the way it is and that is fine as well. (No need to call names.)

Yes download speed is in part my internet connection but it also involves all the nodes in between as well. I suppose if I had a constant ~6-24MBPS download speed I would be happier.

I am not "old school" per say though I do prefer to have a dvd in hand. I would be happy with a game sent to me on a flash drive as well.

When I first booted the game up, while waiting I get a scrolling "line" of advertisements actually in the game. Really? Plus once you shut the game down a "pop up" window comes up pushing the latest specials. (I did go in and turn it off.) It is that invasive crap, that is turned on by default, that really bugs me but if you like all that forced advertisements then that is preference choice. I really dislike it.

I want all that STEAM crap to be background/practically invisible until I launch it. Otherwise I want to see a seamless game install and the game only running and nothing else.

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
i don't think this is true, at least for a freshly install game. like for half-life 2 on discs. it forces you to update to the latest version when activating. and im pretty sure all the patches and updates are fuckhuge at this point. but after that then you can use offline mode.

Steam installs the most recent build any time you install. There is no install/patch process with it. This is good and bad. Once you update, there is no way to get the old bits back if you need to (barring your own backups). This can be bad if a patch introduces a show-stopper bug.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I didn't think about it but guess I should have expected a couple of a$$holes to call names and/or make disparaging remarks. If you politely disagree that's fine. We all have different opinions, that is the way it is and that is fine as well. (No need to call names.)

Yes download speed is in part my internet connection but it also involves all the nodes in between as well. I suppose if I had a constant ~6-24MBPS download speed I would be happier.

I am not "old school" per say though I do prefer to have a dvd in hand. I would be happy with a game sent to me on a flash drive as well.

When I first booted the game up, while waiting I get a scrolling "line" of advertisements actually in the game. Really? Plus once you shut the game down a "pop up" window comes up pushing the latest specials. (I did go in and turn it off.) It is that invasive crap, that is turned on by default, that really bugs me but if you like all that forced advertisements then that is preference choice. I really dislike it.

I want all that STEAM crap to be background/practically invisible until I launch it. Otherwise I want to see a seamless game install and the game only running and nothing else.

Oh boo hoo, it is a free service. They have the ads turned on by default but you can go and disable them on your own. At least it isn't like Xbox Live where they pay for the service are are forced to see ads taking up a lot of the screen space with no options to take it off.