News Dow bouncing around -1000

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Actual Trump tweet: “Good for consumers! Cheaper gas for everyone!”

He’s also tweeted a few choice memes while the economy craters. Liberal tears must be flowing today?

Does this chart for the flu hold up? If it does my mad math skills tells me that covid19 is a factor 10-20 more lethal than the flu

Influenza-Chart-Infographic-high-res.jpg

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
So stability would ensue if people were told to not go to work, not leave their house and hide under their kitchen tables while breathing through two pairs of underwear freshly laundered with lots of bleach? That would not be a mess?

How about postponing the primaries? It's got to be bad for people to congregate. Standing in line to vote and then going into those voting booths? Yikes! Maybe the Dem's should lead by example.

Maybe the administration should have 1 talking point? Their communications to date create instability because they don't have a common theme or message. Except that Trump is still talking about his ratings instead /w MAGA hats and repubs wearing gas masks to mock the dead. That's all my point is, but deflect away.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Does this chart for the flu hold up? If it does my mad math skills tells me that covid19 is a factor 10-20 more lethal than the flu

Influenza-Chart-Infographic-high-res.jpg
10-20x lethality is what the CDC and WHO have been tracking, from what I've read.

It's possible that the number is a bit lower depending on how many younger folks have COVID-19 and aren't symtomatic/don't get tested, but regardless, it is much more lethal. Numbers are probably anywhere between 5x and 20x.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
People looked at me funny when I said this would change the world a month ago.
I knew this was coming. Probably 2 months ago. The handwriting was on the wall. Just the video coming from Wuhan seemed to say it all. This is no blip.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
10-20x lethality is what the CDC and WHO have been tracking, from what I've read.

It's possible that the number is a bit lower depending on how many younger folks have COVID-19 and aren't symtomatic/don't get tested, but regardless, it is much more lethal. Numbers are probably anywhere between 5x and 20x.
Yea, was wondering how the spread of the flu is compared to covid19 ... cant find it anywhere.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Liquidate labor, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate. It will purge the rottenness out of the system. High costs of living and high living will come down. People will work harder, live a more moral life. Values will be adjusted, and enterprising people will pick up from less competent people.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Dow has been grossly overvalued for years, and needed a reason for buying opportunity. Still shaking the suckers out.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Liquidate labor, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate. It will purge the rottenness out of the system. High costs of living and high living will come down. People will work harder, live a more moral life. Values will be adjusted, and enterprising people will pick up from less competent people.

Herbert Hoover is a shining example of the wisdom of this advice.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
So stability would ensue if people were told to not go to work, not leave their house and hide under their kitchen tables while breathing through two pairs of underwear freshly laundered with lots of bleach? That would not be a mess?

How about postponing the primaries? It's got to be bad for people to congregate. Standing in line to vote and then going into those voting booths? Yikes! Maybe the Dem's should lead by example.
Anyone else totally SHOCKED that this fella supports the idea of postponing the primaries? Segues nicely into a precedent for postponing the general, doesn't it...

Last edited:
Reactions: sandorski

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

oh man, this really is the libertopian fantasy come to life for you, isn't it! :D

purge the undesirables and let the few remaining, noble, John Galts of the world convert the world into a corporatist's paradise reserved for the very few.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
oh man, this really is the libertopian fantasy come to life for you, isn't it! :D

purge the undesirables and let the few remaining, noble, John Galts of the world convert the world into a corporatist's paradise reserved for the very few.

It's not reserved for the few, we'll rent your stuff back to you after you firesale it to us.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Errr...I think the investor class will just own more after this downturn. They're the ones flush with cash to buy up cheap stocks, real estate, etc.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris