DOOM!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Are they finally going back to run-and-gun gameplay with bad-ass music?

Music is a subjective thing, but I personally really dig the music and it suits the game play really well.

DOOM: Behind The Music

I just started playing this last night and already feel that way. Some mods just seem useless for the weapon. Like I would never use the sniper mod for the heavy assault rifle when there is an option for rockets there.

I almost feel like they included the scope as a sort of joke on the younger generation of gamers who are used to games where the scope is useful. Perhaps some players are using it, but I know I'm not. The micro missiles mod is a blast though, especially once you have mastery.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Music is a subjective thing, but I personally really dig the music and it suits the game play really well.

DOOM: Behind The Music

I almost feel like they included the scope as a sort of joke on the younger generation of gamers who are used to games where the scope is useful. Perhaps some players are using it, but I know I'm not. The micro missiles mod is a blast though, especially once you have mastery.

I agree, there seems to be one solid option on each and one "just for grins" option.

Sep 29, 2004
Beat the game last night.

It had more content than I was expecting for the single player campaign.

If you like the style of game that Doom is, get it. It's fast paced mayhem!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The only thing I hate about it, and it ruined the game a bit was when you are forced to kill every enemy on the screen. In the old games you encountered enemies randomly and could potentially run away if you got low on ammo or health. In this game you are locked into the room until you kill everything. That isn't DOOM to me.

Sep 29, 2004
The only thing I hate about it, and it ruined the game a bit was when you are forced to kill every enemy on the screen. In the old games you encountered enemies randomly and could potentially run away if you got low on ammo or health. In this game you are locked into the room until you kill everything. That isn't DOOM to me.

That's true. Valid point. It is weird that doors are locked until all demons are killed.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
That trope really gets on my nerves these days. I remember thinking it was so great from a design perspective in all the early Zelda games but as the series modernized that "clear room to advance/get reward" thing stuck out like a sore thumb. They don't even try to explain it. What sense does it make that the presence of enemies somehow makes a treasure chest stay invisible/inaccessible or somehow keeps a door locked or both?

Hopefully the open world Zelda fixed this.

Last edited:

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
That trope really gets on my nerves these days. I remember thinking it was so great from a design perspective in all the early Zelda games but as the series modernized that "clear room to advance/get reward" thing stuck out like a sore thumb. They don't even try to explain it. What sense does it make that the presence of enemies somehow makes a treasure chest stay invisible/inaccessible or somehow keeps a door locked or both?

Hopefully the open world Zelda fixed this.

In DOOM, they hand wave it away by having the computer voice come on over the PA and say something like "Demon presence at unsafe levels. Door will remain locked until levels lower" or some other such nonsense.

I don't really care what the "story" reasons are, I just think it feels artificial and inorganic and contradicts the old feeling of DOOM which they are so desperately trying to rekindle.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
In DOOM, they hand wave it away by having the computer voice come on over the PA and say something like "Demon presence at unsafe levels. Door will remain locked until levels lower" or some other such nonsense.

I don't really care what the "story" reasons are, I just think it feels artificial and inorganic and contradicts the old feeling of DOOM which they are so desperately trying to rekindle.

Now, see, if they reworded that slightly and made it such that half the locked doors have a manual override that leaves you vulnerable for some amount of time, I'd probably be cool with it as a new gameplay element. Zelda out-right locks the door you just came through half the time.