Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Anyone playing the beta this weekend? I went and grabbed a beta code from GameStop (and another for my dad, since we have 3 of those stores here). Beyond the stability and bad teammates, I'm really liking this after the tiny-mapped, ADHD mess that is Halo 5 Arena.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Are they finally going back to run-and-gun gameplay with bad-ass music?

If it's just another survival horror game, I'm not interested.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
It's multiplayer-only in the beta, though there IS single player. I'm not sure about music in-game, though the menu music is kind of just there, nothing exciting (like having Solid State Records do Killing Floor 2). It's run-and-gun, but a bit slower and more tame. Think Quake (health and armor pickups, no regen, movement limited to walking and jumping), but mixed with old CoD a bit (simple weapon loadouts of 2 guns and a throwable item). Sadly, it's not a starter weapon and weapon pickups like Quake and Unreal did, and you can't pick up guns off of the (usually shredded) dead bodies.

I like it simplicity, though, same as how Battlefront was a nice change for not being overly busy. You have that grenade (or teleporter) you can throw, and it's on a cooldown, but that's it. You have 2 gun, and no pickups. There's no sprint, there IS mantling, and there aren't really jump pads on the two beta maps (they have lifts, though). They also have these weird boost things that last 60-120 seconds and give you something like extra points (personal score only) for kills or starting with +5 Armor, not even sure why they have them.

But no, this isn't DOOM 3. It's this:
https://youtu.be/ljpBwguIqos?t=169

I'm a little confused rewatching that, though. Why the solo stuff has the pickups and weapon wheel, but the multiplayer is 2 guns and no pickups, is confusing.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'm a little confused rewatching that, though. Why the solo stuff has the pickups and weapon wheel, but the multiplayer is 2 guns and no pickups, is confusing.
Probably because the game goes into slo-mo every time you bring up weapon selection and you can't just slow everyone down every time someone wants to change weapons in a multiplayer map.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
True, though given how few buttons are actually used in this game, I don't see why they couldn't have had a two-button weapon cycling with pickups, be it X-Y (which aren't used), LB-RB (meaning grenades are moved, or exchanged for a grenade launcher weapon), or something else. I'm liking it regardless.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
I tried like two matches in the beta. It was 100% run around shotgun fest, and there's load outs. So, no fighting for the weapons and such. There's a demon thing that you can get and turn into this big nasty beast, but that was about it as far as pick ups go aside from health bocks.

I died like 8 times in a row one match, then decided to shotgun camp and got 12 kills in a row which led to a comeback victory.

I used to love UT and such back then, but I don't know if I can go back to Arena type shooters now. Not enough depth.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
just not the same on consoles. FPS should always be played with a mouse + KB, especially for games like doom and quake.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Nice, a little burst of activity in this thread, and it's mostly whining without substance, or with substance like "one game," or "5 minutes." So, to manage some actual, well-stated counterpoints to what seems to be just above Internet trolling...

IHateMyJob: I mean, really, cool story. You know you can adjust the sensitivities, right? I had to turn mine up a lot from the default (probably 20% vertical and horizontal). How about some praise for their being the only ones to acknowledge the need for vertical and horizontal options? I hate how it's all one thing in Halo and Call of Duty and the rest. Or, you know, make an effort to adjust to the game. That, or just don't come in here to crap out "this sucks" twice and go. So useless.

Anubis: I thought that at first. However, my biggest complaint in Halo has been the overly fast movement, relative to map size. DOOM can feel slow to start, but once you settle in for a bit, it doesn't feel too bad. I like not having to be on cocaine to keep up with the constant craziness in a game, for a change. Having your ability to shoot an opponent be the deciding factor, rather than who is running up behind you as you spawn, is really nice. I wouldn't hate if it were a little faster, but it doesn't feel necessary after a day or two. That is, anyway, how I felt after the adjustment period.

digiram: It can be, though I didn't think that too much after I started playing more. Instead, I built on the ability to switch weapons quickly. Static Rifle + Shotgun is an awesome combo. I can get the long- or mid-range shot with a charged Static Rifle, immediately switch, then shotgun someone. That said, the shotgun feels like a must-have for any loadout, unless you're great at teleporting (which, shotguns are great when paired with the teleporter as well) and long-range headshots with the Static or Vortex Rifle.

You have more than just the Demon Rune to go after as well. There are pickups from the past (Haste, Quad Damage, Super Health in the beta), along with power weapons (only the Gauss Cannon in the beta). I was similarly disappointed by loadouts, because I loved having a mess of guns to use in a firefight, and not having to specialize for each map. They shotgun could be toned down a bit, but it's honestly not worse than shotguns have been in other games (older Halo and CoD: MW2 come to mind).

cyclohexane: Again, cool story. We've got a PC Gaming board. Go talk about your M+K love there. Just useless drivel.

Sep 29, 2004
So, the single player campaign is supposed to be pretty good. But mixed reviews of multiplayer.

I'm on the fence. I want Doom for the single player campaign. Apparently, it is not on rails as many had suspected be the case.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I really liked the multiplayer. It seems you won't like it if you want an ADHD mess like CoD, but its beta did a good job of making it feel like shooting was the central point of the game. Not as much of the gadgetry and hoopla that people do in those other games.

Sep 29, 2004
Bought it for the single player campaign. . About an hour in i am happy.

Controls seem better than the beta.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Picked this up yesterday, and have been playing the single player campaign. My thoughts so far...

The Good: Combat is really fun, fast paced, and the glory kills turned out being an interesting addition and good mechanic in lieu of health packs or health regen. Controls feel great, and movement feels fluid.

The Bad: The game just looks blurry to me on Xbox One. I actually find myself squinting at times because the whole thing seems out of focus. I watched a youtube review that stated the game looked "soft" on X1... I guess that is a kind way of saying "blurry". I haven't played it on any other platforms, so I don't know how they compare.

The Mixed: I guess this could go either way depending on how much you enjoy treasure hunting, but for a game that touts relentless demons and no health regen as strong points, I am spending way more time looking for secrets than I am shooting anything. It's not that secret hunting isn't enjoyable in it's own right, but it does appear to be somewhat necessary if you want to level up your weapons etc. The mechanic reminds me a bit of Dishonored in that they present the game as one thing, but collecting items is really the true way to reap the rewards the game has to offer.

Anyway, I've only finished the first two maps, and overall I've enjoyed my time with the game so far.

Last edited:

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
You can turn the Motion Blur off in the menu. You might try that, and see if it looks any better. It doesn't bother me, though. As for the extras, I kind of agree. That they tied weapon abilities and strength to the "Secrets" makes them too important, especially if you were to play on Nightmare (which I tried and quickly failed at). They aren't a massive deal, but it still sucks to know that a game touting its speed and combat breaks its own rules so frequently for that stuff.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
that's just watching a 720 image on 1080 pixels. no?

I believe it renders internally at 1080p most of the time, but the assets seem pretty low resolution. It also cuts detail pretty quickly as you move away from objects.

If you look at the crypt comparison here: https://youtu.be/9sXp0poccPI?t=48s you can see what I mean.

The PC image quality is sharp throughout and there is a natural loss of detail in the distance, whereas with the consoles (esp XB1) there is a significant loss of detail even just to the crypt in the center of the room.

I am nearsighted, and have worn glasses since I was a kid. If I had to describe how being nearsighted was to someone with 20/20 vision, this would be it.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
I should follow up a bit to say that, although the XB1 version has pretty low resolution assets by comparison to PC, the game itself is a blast.

I haven't finished the campaign yet (taking my time, finding stuff and completing challenges), and it has kept my attention. I was s bit worried that the sort of rinse/repeat formula of the game would get tiresome, but it really hasn't. Combat is just intense, and clearing out areas is fun and satisfying.

I've definitely learned to use weapon mods to help in the tough battles. I have the stun bomb mod for the plasma gun, which is great for a bit of crowd control when things get hectic, and the Micro Missiles mod on the Heavy Assault Rifle is fun too. I have mastery on both.

Last edited:

Voxata

Jun 26, 2012
Honestly I've not even touched the MP, the SP just blew me away. However, I wish the weapon mods were a bit better all around. I found myself sticking to the 'better' ones and not even needing the extra mods when I would find the robots.

Reactions: shortylickens

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Honestly I've not even touched the MP, the SP just blew me away. However, I wish the weapon mods were a bit better all around. I found myself sticking to the 'better' ones and not even needing the extra mods when I would find the robots.

I just started playing this last night and already feel that way. Some mods just seem useless for the weapon. Like I would never use the sniper mod for the heavy assault rifle when there is an option for rockets there.