Doom Eternal - returned

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
After having a blast with Doom 2016 and all Dooms since Doom in DOS, I picked up Doom Eternal during sale for $32.

Played a bit, and discovered that games have changed dramatically. What used to be a plain and great shooter since its very beginning, has become a fricking jumping simulator with colorful trophies. Moreover, one has to catch walls to progress.

Long gone are the times that had plain gore available in Doom flavor.

pussification of games has reached the level that I am out. It is a pity.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I loved Doom 2016 for about four hours and then it just started to repeat itself. Some of the level challenges were missable (kill X enemies with X powerup that only spawns once) which meant I'd have to replay the level or do it right the first time. I didn't like that aspect and I didn't like that some enemies took almost all of your ammo to kill. Plus I like to explore and didn't like the fast-paced nature of "just keep killing" and then backtrack to go exploring.

Reactions: pmv

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I loved Doom 2016 for about four hours and then it just started to repeat itself. Some of the level challenges were missable (kill X enemies with X powerup that only spawns once) which meant I'd have to replay the level or do it right the first time. I didn't like that aspect and I didn't like that some enemies took almost all of your ammo to kill. Plus I like to explore and didn't like the fast-paced nature of "just keep killing" and then backtrack to go exploring.
it was meant for action junkies.
and lets be honest, thats exactly how they advertised it.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I bought it on a flash sale because I loved the previous Doom games. I don't ever look at trailers/reviews/LetsPlays/anything else. The most I look into a game is what's listed on the Steam page.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great game and I will definitely go back and finish it one day. I just couldn't get into it when I played it which isn't uncommon for me. There's been more than a few games that I started and then put down for a while only to pick it up later and blaze through it in a few days/weeks.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I think project brutality is the best if you want to really want something newer.

Reactions: bigi

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i think the main appeal of Doom 1 and Doom 2 was that the levels were pretty cryptic in the way you were supposed to navigate them. If you just tried to +forward, you'd die to the mobs.
The Doom2 level "downtown" still gives me nightmares, i've played it a dozen times and i still dont remember how to complete it right away.
I haven't played D2016 yet (LOL@ that install size) but i suspect it doesn't have such quality of level design.
bonus: Doom 2 speedrun

Reactions: Magic Carpet

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I haven't played D2016 yet (LOL@ that install size) but i suspect it doesn't have such quality of level design.

Sadly, 45GB is actually semi-small these days. I just installed Dirt Rally 2 and it was over 100GB. And then there is MS Flight Simulator which basically requires its own hard drive.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
yea I've started putting some of the bigger ones on spare SSD/SSHD... ridiculous

As for Doom Eternal, I was initially going to disagree... but then realized I haven't really been that compelled to finish the game yet. I think it's really fun to play but after sinking some 15-20 hours into it the brutality and metal-ness of it kind of wore off. Also, the last time I played it I got absolutely wrecked and it felt spammier (not a word I know) than it was before? I'll finish it up at some point, but it's fallen down on the priority list a little bit.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I don't care much for doom eternal, it forces a play style I don't want with how you have to be on top of mobs to collect all the drops. I like 2016 doom a lot better. I don't get the pussification bit though. It is quite a bit harder and the reviews I read before buying it seemed to agree on that point at least.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
... I don't get the pussification bit though ...

Less gore, more useless crap to go through vs older Dooms. It is THE Doom for frack sake, not some sort of jumping emulator.

Kind of like watching RoboCop 1987 and the new one from 2014.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I actually didn't think Doom 2016 was that great. It felt more like like a series of arena challenge rooms rather than a cohesive single player campaign. Also some of the fights near the end were mentally exhausting. I shouldn't feel drained when playing a game.

Sadly, 45GB is actually semi-small these days.
It's a 59GB download and 68GB install.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Doom2016 was a steaming pile, i couldn't finish it. On the other hand the new Doom is on my bucket list after upgrades at end of year.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Doom2016 was a steaming pile, i couldn't finish it. On the other hand the new Doom is on my bucket list after upgrades at end of year.

Well Eternal is just a worse version of that game, so I think you are making a bad choice. I would say it's like Doom, Mario and Mass Effect combined into some sort of strange action rpg FPS platformer game. I personally thought the most recent Wolfenstein game "Young Blood" was a far more fun FPS with RPG elements. That game got a lot of flack for some reason, but I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Guess we all have different tastes, but I loved Doom Eternal and played it over and over until I 100% the entire game. Did the same with Doom 2016, but the newer one feels so much more intricate.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
So you mean it felt like doom?
Not really. The prior games all had cohesive single player exploration, navigation and level flow. Also it was extremely rare to be locked in a room until all enemies were killed.

2016 & Eternal were basically arena shooters with single player bots and collectables.

Last edited:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The dust has fallen? What happened? I was in the very atom-thin minority at least here on these forums all the way back in 2016 when I critiqued it. At the time it was being praised like it was the second coming of Jesus Christ and I'm not joking. This time for Eternal I said the same, that I skipped it entirely, just watched a full streamed playthrough on Twitch and that doing so just saved me the purcase price since it confirmed it was still a fuming pile overall. Now I come here to skim through some comments and... I'm... seeing some people saying negative things about either Eternal or D2016?

What's going on? Brains are turning on 4 years later? (Yeah whatever, this might sound harsh, and I don't care; these new "DOOM" games have nothing to do with the actual DOOM games).

I suppose I can welcome a bigger crew on my boat. I thought I was alone out there drifting without control while everyone on land were praising their new God.

Alright then men! Welcome aboard! Set sail! We have a lot of exploration to do!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I decided to play Doom 2016 again. Now I remember a big reason it sucked. The checkpoints are too far apart.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
After having a blast with Doom 2016 and all Dooms since Doom in DOS, I picked up Doom Eternal during sale for $32.

Played a bit, and discovered that games have changed dramatically. What used to be a plain and great shooter since its very beginning, has become a fricking jumping simulator with colorful trophies. Moreover, one has to catch walls to progress.

Long gone are the times that had plain gore available in Doom flavor.

pussification of games has reached the level that I am out. It is a pity.
You could try out Hellbound. Free to play.

Reactions: bigi

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I bought this game, then refunded it since they added a rootkit and I wasn't going to install a rootkit just to play a game. I just bought it again though since that has been removed. It isn't nearly as fun as I expected, and I don't really have the drive to actually play it. I really enjoyed Doom 2016 too, but this just isn't doing it for me.

Maybe it will pick up later though. I just finished the first level a few days ago and haven't forced myself to play since. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Doom 2 was actually the first color PC game I've ever owned. Technically I had a few color games before that, but my old computer was a monochrome 8088 Compaq portable, so I really only played crappy games in green and black. I actually spent most of my time writing my own games in BASIC since I'm a huge dork. Anyway, I have a lot of great memories from Doom 2, and Doom before that (although that was on a friend's computer).

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I bought this game, then refunded it since they added a rootkit and I wasn't going to install a rootkit just to play a game. I just bought it again though since that has been removed. It isn't nearly as fun as I expected, and I don't really have the drive to actually play it. I really enjoyed Doom 2016 too, but this just isn't doing it for me.

Maybe it will pick up later though. I just finished the first level a few days ago and haven't forced myself to play since. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Doom 2 was actually the first color PC game I've ever owned. Technically I had a few color games before that, but my old computer was a monochrome 8088 Compaq portable, so I really only played crappy games in green and black. I actually spent most of my time writing my own games in BASIC since I'm a huge dork. Anyway, I have a lot of great memories from Doom 2, and Doom before that (although that was on a friend's computer).

It does actually get a little better as you go further in, as it is pretty annoying to not have all the weapons and the complete lack of ammo the game has until your character levels up. The gameplay is clearly created for you to have a vast assortment of weapons and upgrades, and not having those things makes it a lot less interesting.

Reactions: Martimus

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
It does actually get a little better as you go further in, as it is pretty annoying to not have all the weapons and the complete lack of ammo the game has until your character levels up. The gameplay is clearly created for you to have a vast assortment of weapons and upgrades, and not having those things makes it a lot less interesting.
I played through the second level and started the third. The game just isn't fun for me. The combat is fun, but the random parkor you need to do with 4 combinations of button presses that you need to remember in a moments notice even though you rarely use them is just annoying. In fact most of the new complicated combat proves are annoying. How am I supposed to remember all these random buttons when I rarely use them all?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I played through the second level and started the third. The game just isn't fun for me. The combat is fun, but the random parkor you need to do with 4 combinations of button presses that you need to remember in a moments notice even though you rarely use them is just annoying. In fact most of the new complicated combat proves are annoying. How am I supposed to remember all these random buttons when I rarely use them all?
Uh, that's kind of the essence of video games - remembering controls/keys and knowing how and when to execute them to progress. I haven't played Eternal and I likely won't until I build my new system but there's been plenty of games in the past that came up with arbitrary button combos that took a little while to learn, but after that initial period of learning, it just became another muscle-memory. I can understand if you're like my buddy and tend to play multiple games at the same time (he cycles through at least 5 games rather than focusing on just one or two), but if you just give it time, it shouldn't be that difficult.