Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i was avoiding riding the hype train, but i may have to pick this up....screens look good and it sounds like the SP is pretty fun, and with snapmap MP may be more than just DM (sorry i'm old and slow :p)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
My crashes stopped when I disabled SLI, but I feel that may be a coincidence. The game is just new and has some random CTD issues. It simply exits without errors. It will get cleared up. I like the game so much I just restart it without skipping a beat. It doesn't even piss me off that much. Worth it.

Just did an overclock test for 980ti. Looking at same spot, no OC gets 75fps, OC @ 1477 gets 95fps. So 20fps increase and about 22% in this game. Thought I'd share.

Last edited:

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Dang it, you guys jinxed me. Thirteen hours in game without a CTD, just got one.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
The game appears to be very picky about anything that manipulates the video. Now that I've finished the campaign I've been playing around with it. Things like having DSR enabled causes way more CTD's or even having something like FRAPS running to take screenshots

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
The best part about this thread is going back and looking at how pessimistic a tone it had and watch it morph into what it is now.....probably game of the year right here.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
http://gamingbolt.com/doom-review-back-with-a-bang

About the story .. that annoyed me in beginning as well but really, how are you gonna go about a DOOM reboot? Tell a story that can only be percieved as a lousy attempt to recatch what the original series was all about (for us who remembers it)?
I think they did right, the story-stones are perfectly spaced out and voice acting is amazing.

For a DOOM reboot, the storyline is just right.

I havent finished the campaign yet and I am allready looking forward to DOOM II.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Doom Tech Analysis: The best console shooter at 60 FPS?

Interesting technical expose on Doom and IDtech 6.. I must say, I'm very impressed by this engine :thumbsup:

Very impressive looking. I was expecting a Doom 3 type of do over.

But alas, Ive been so busy lately I havent had the time to play much of anything. :'(

On the bright side it may be a little cheaper by the time I get the chance to play it.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Is this a level or some kind of hoard mode?

That's a level in hell.

What level are you playing on? I am playing on ULTRA...

I forgot the name of level, and maybe its best that way. I don't want to ruin it for people and have them knowing what to expect and when to expect it. Oh, you meant graphics level. Its maxed 100% @ 1440p with all the possible nightmare settings and blah blah all that stuff. Game runs amazingly well and looks totally stunning IMO. They nailed it hard.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
That's a level in hell.

I forgot the name of level, and maybe its best that way. I don't want to ruin it for people and have them knowing what to expect and when to expect it. Oh, you meant graphics level. Its maxed 100% @ 1440p with all the possible nightmare settings and blah blah all that stuff. Game runs amazingly well and looks totally stunning IMO. They nailed it hard.

No, I mean which difficulty level, but you don't HAVE to say...LOL!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm gonna get this but I almost want to wait until June anyway since I'll be buying a new gpu.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
There is a Steam thread here with a link to Bethesda to report the CTD issue that everyone is having. It's half a dozen pages long so far with people that have reported the issue.

I recommend everyone go ahead and report the issue if you are having it.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
No, I mean which difficulty level, but you don't HAVE to say...LOL!

Oh LOL. In that case, I am playing on Hurt me plenty. I'd say its easy, but I have died quite a few times. I look forward to replaying on Ultra violence for the fun of trying to survive the chaos, but for now I am enjoying the game in a more "manageable" way.

I'm gonna get this but I almost want to wait until June anyway since I'll be buying a new gpu.

Waiting is not fun, but in this case it just might be worth it. I would just get the game and try it out and see how it does. You'll know right away if you want to keep playing or wait.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Waiting is not fun, but in this case it just might be worth it. I would just get the game and try it out and see how it does. You'll know right away if you want to keep playing or wait.

Yea Im thinking either a 1070 or Polaris equivalent based on reviews. Or there may be a sale on some 980ti cards that would run this at the settings I want.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
So I played it for just under an hour or so last night before I went to bed. It was at 1080p with roughly medium settings, though a few were high or ultra (v-sync on, too). I got a consistent 30 fps which seemed a bit weird; I mean usually my fps in games can vary a lot but this was almost perfectly consistent IIRC. But it actually felt really fluid for only 30 fps so I didn't mind it.

Pretty fun so far. The finishing moves are pretty handy and I don't think they detract from the game at all; I'd say I prefer them, at this point anyway. I did bind "Mission Info" to the TAB key which didn't allow me to view Dossier or Tutorials. Now c'mon. Why the f would you have a key for Dossier and not put it in the bindings screen? I hate when games do that, have hidden bound keys. Idiotic. lol, not a biggie but it's just like "wat?"

Looking forward to playing more!

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
I've found that the finishing moves (glory kills) are critical as you move into the late game. You need the health drops and if you have the armor rune that allows the mobs to drop armor after a glory kill, that's even better.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I've found that the finishing moves (glory kills) are critical as you move into the late game. You need the health drops and if you have the armor rune that allows the mobs to drop armor after a glory kill, that's even better.

It's absolutely important. If you aren't doing Glory kills, you're going to die, a lot.

Yeah I got another one too. Here's an epic hell battle. Took me a few tries. Video quality is kind of bad. Actual game looks way better for those wondering. I used shadowplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0rj7vuEWcA

Hmm.. You call that Epic?

Late-game Spoiler alert!

Edit: I don't know why it's in 720p.

Edit2: There it goes, its 1080p60 now.

Last edited:

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Just fought the boss right before the 2nd trip to Hell. Epic!! Man, I can't wait to finish this game and go back and find the missing items/runes/secrets and continue to upgrade the guns. The unlimited missiles from the assault rifle is a blast. Just mows stuff down.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Exploding pump, aoe rocket launcher, and siege gauss are pretty much all I used the entire game. The rifle rockets felt a bit weak on Nightmare. Mini gun seemed pretty lack luster as well. Super shotgun felt really bad to use as most things would wreck you if you got too close. Plasma rifle, since it used the same ammo as the gauss, was also usually something I avoided using as it burned through ammo to little effect.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
The chaingun/minigun is rather underwhelming. I find myself using mostly the plasma rifle, super shotgun and HAR micro missiles. I think the chaingun would be much better if you could carry much more ammunition and have significantly longer sustained fire times.