Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 9, 1999
Man this game is awesome. I haven't had this much fun with a FPS in years. The gameplay is very dynamic and just fast enough without being overwhelming. This game balances health pickups perfectly where you have to constantly be in the mayhem and doing up-close brutal kills to keep your health up. The graphics are great, sound is very impactful, and the story is just enough to keep me wanting to see the how messed up the next level will be.

I'm very impressed how they could wring out a completely fresh FPS experience while still having the feel of the original DOOM. Brilliant!

what he said. the music is spot on for me, even the escape menu.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
If you don't know, let Geforce Experience tell you.

Geoforce Experience does not recognize the game (and its not bootlegged or anything)?

EDIT - UPDATED SEARCH DOH!

2nd Edit - it STILL does not show DOOM...?

Last edited:

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
The crashes to desktop are a bit annoying. Ive had about half a dozen so far. It's frustrating when it happens right when I'm about to clear out a room and hit a checkpoint.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
This game is absolutely brilliant. I'm having a blast just going through the levels shooting everything in sight. After I finish the game, I'm going to go back and look for all the secrets - I've only found two of the little Doomguy dolls so far, and none of the classic Doom levels.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
The crashes to desktop are a bit annoying. Ive had about half a dozen so far. It's frustrating when it happens right when I'm about to clear out a room and hit a checkpoint.

I only have 3 hours in the game, but I've experienced no crashes.
I have nothing overclocked in my system.

With my sig rig, I'm pulling 360w from the wall.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008

I'd say try verifying the cache integrity in Steam. It seemed to fix it for me... but then I had another CTD last night randomly (thankfully after a checkpoint). So I don't know anymore.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Verifying game cache did nothing for me. Half my CTD's were after verifying game cache.

v0id

May 30, 2003
I tested it on a 680 last night and on the "high" preset @ 1080p it was ranging from 40-70 fps. That said, the machine was running an i5 2400 CPU which is quite a bit more powerful than your Phenom X3. My guess is you'd get some pretty low minimum frames with that CPU. The Vulkan patch, when released may help you out quite a bit in this regard.

Thanks man. I figured the CPU would be the bottleneck here. Once the Vulkan patch is out, I'll think about getting the game through Steam. I've never done it but I've heard they will refund a game if you can't run it well enough for hardware reasons.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Verifying game cache did nothing for me. Half my CTD's were after verifying game cache.

Did you update everything? I mean everything! Sound, video, chipset? Maybe installing the game on another drive path in steam?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Thanks man. I figured the CPU would be the bottleneck here. Once the Vulkan patch is out, I'll think about getting the game through Steam. I've never done it but I've heard they will refund a game if you can't run it well enough for hardware reasons.

They will provided you request the refund within a certain amount of time and have less then 2 hours of game time... Don't quote me on that policy, i'm going by memory, but Valve/Steam have it documented somewhere.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
I didnt get any crashes until i got to Hell. Im guessing its a game related bug judging from the amount of people complaining about it.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I really need to play some more of the campaign but every time I start it up I just have this urge to shoot rockets at people...

God this game is so damn enjoyable. It satisfies a very special place in me.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I get the instant CTDs, and everything is updated as it's a brand new rig. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the hell (hahaha) out of the game.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
She's not fun....

20160518184408_1.jpg

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Did you update everything? I mean everything! Sound, video, chipset? Maybe installing the game on another drive path in steam?

I'm always on the latest drivers. I highly doubt it's a system issue, it's pretty clear now it's a game issue just by the number of people having the exact same problem, which is completely random CTD's with no errors or warnings. The game just alt+F4'd itself.

It's annoying, but wasn't game-breaking for me. Though I can easily see how it could be if you're on your 10th attempt at fighting the main boss with victory in sight and suddenly you're back at your desktop.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004

Weird. I'm at 8 hours in and overclocked and I haven't had even one crash. I added +263mhz which allows me to hold a steady 75fps at max settings 1080p.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
No CTD's here either. Just had a vicious hang right before the tower took me on my first trip to hell. Ended up being my onboard sound. So many random variables in PC's. Hopefully they can iron it out for you as it likely is a conflict with something.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I'm always on the latest drivers. I highly doubt it's a system issue, it's pretty clear now it's a game issue just by the number of people having the exact same problem, which is completely random CTD's with no errors or warnings. The game just alt+F4'd itself.

It's annoying, but wasn't game-breaking for me. Though I can easily see how it could be if you're on your 10th attempt at fighting the main boss with victory in sight and suddenly you're back at your desktop.

Thats why you need to quicksave after every shot that lands. :biggrin:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

I can't even get the first level loaded, always CTD. Hopefully they patch it up so I can play.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
It quit crashing for me when I stopped watching videos on my second monitor. I've gotten 3 hours or so without crashing now. Used to crash every 30 mins.