Dole's plea to conservatives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 6, 2007
Gingrich is the biggest hypocrite out of all the politicians in Washington, and that's saying an awful lot. He led the charge against Clinton over the Lewinsky scandal, then says that bringing up his marital infidelity during a debate is "appalling." He says that he's in favor of Reagan's "11th Commandment" while perpetually ignoring the 7th Commandment. He has said that gay marriage would undermine the sanctity of marriage while having multiple affairs and divorces. He has often used "ethics" as a way to attack political opponents despite having gone through a lengthy Congressional ethics probe. The disconnect between his words and his actions is ridiculous, and the fact that he continues to play a role on the national stage of politics at this point is positively shocking. Several years ago, he was a pariah in the Republican party, and now he's seriously being considered as their front-runner? Outrageous.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Gingrich can't win the nomination, there were several States in which he's not on the ballot.

That would not prevent him from winning the nomination, other things will. That being said, you might have been correct about politics for the first time in your entire life, even if for the wrong reason. Gingrich won't win the nomination.

IDK, he might be right. I've seen several sites say Newt (and Santorum) is off the ballot of several states totaling some 564 delegates. That's an awful lot that will likely automatically accrue to Romney (I'm assuming those states will be under the 'winner take all rules" but not knowing exactly which states cannot confirm). The winner only needs 1,144. I.e., Romney is likely already halfway there.

Fern

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
He's a "bomb thrower". He's a fighter. That's what I'm guessing the basic repub wants to see in a candidate. Take no prisoners, scorched earth policy. They hate Obama so bad they will take someone once hated and shunned by their own party if it means Obama's defeat.

and: he's not Mormon.

as bad as it is to be a Catholic conservative, at least he isn't Mormon.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
and: he's not Mormon.

as bad as it is to be a Catholic conservative, at least he isn't Mormon.

I've been wondering about this. I always thought Baptists considered Catholics a sect and the Pope is Satan/Anti-Christ. So, why not vote for a Mormon?

Fern

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
IDK, he might be right. I've seen several sites say Newt (and Santorum) is off the ballot of several states totaling some 564 delegates. That's an awful lot that will likely automatically accrue to Romney (I'm assuming those states will be under the 'winner take all rules" but not knowing exactly which states cannot confirm). The winner only needs 1,144. I.e., Romney is likely already halfway there.

Fern

I think it's just a couple of states:

http://www.thestate.com/2012/01/10/2108414/romney-and-paul-national-candidates.html

Newt Gingrich is not on the ballot in Missouri and Virginia and did not qualify for all of the delegates in Tennessee

• Rick Santorum is not on the ballot in Virginia, Ilinois and Washington D.C.. He did not qualify for all of the delegates in Ohio and Tennessee

Not sure what "did not qualify for all of the delegates" means. These primary rules are seriously weird.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Ah, OK.

That doesn't sound like anywhere near 564 delegates. IIRC, the Missouri vote counts for nothing anyway. I believe they actually award delegates from a caucus help later that week. IIRC, Newt will be participating in the caucus. And yes, that's some weird shiz.

Fern

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You would think the Repubs would be embarrassed as a party to have that pompous jackass as their GOP nominee.

I love how he is running as a "Washington outsider" while living in Washington for the last 30 years. I suppose weak minded sheep will lap that shit right up. LMAO.

Remember when Dubya ran as a "Washington outsider" in 2004?

that was precious.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've been wondering about this. I always thought Baptists considered Catholics a sect and the Pope is Satan/Anti-Christ. So, why not vote for a Mormon?

Fern

I think it goes like this:

For an evangelical/Baptist whatever, Catholics are still Christians, albeit lost and unsaved.

Mormons, however, are not Christians. he might as well be Muslim. This is pretty much what I hear from evangelicals, or, well, rather pious Christians.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
On the one hand, Newt is not a 'Washington Outsider'. He's a long-time politician and got millions for lobbying, and he supports the crony capitalism corruption.

On the other, he is something of an outsider to the Republican establishment - they can't stand him apparently and view him as a threat to the party nationally.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
newt02.jpeg

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I think of myself as a master at seeing both sides of any issue, but I really don't get the thought process behind Newt Gingrich voters.

he's not to the right of Romney on any significant issue, and what's more, he's a corrupt, amoral, hypocritical lobbyist.

What makes you believe he is getting all these votes because the REP establishment says so . This is all about keeping deligates away from Ron PAUL . Its starting to backfire now as people are seeing the polls are way off after the states vote it doesn't match up like it has in the past. If Gingrich gets the call Paul won't go 3rd party . If Romney gets it Paul will go 3rd party to keep romney out of White house . Not that there will be an election which there won't be

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
If Newt gets the nomination IMHO it'll split the GOP in two, literally and probably semi-permanently. On the upside, the tea party will be landslided into shutting up with their "we the people" bullshit. I don't think Obama's all that great, but I'd give my right nut before seeing Newt's face on a Presidential roster.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I think it goes like this:

For an evangelical/Baptist whatever, Catholics are still Christians, albeit lost and unsaved.

Mormons, however, are not Christians. he might as well be Muslim. This is pretty much what I hear from evangelicals, or, well, rather pious Christians.

What is funny is that the few Mormons I have crossed path with are 10 times the measure of any evangelicy type of person I might have known. Go figure.

One day the R's will wake up and realize the evangelical base is a very big liability. The religious right has hijacked the sane from the party. If the R's lose as big as I am starting to think, it might be 2016. Would be nice to see a field that does not have to pander. To any base, D or R for that matter.

Last edited:

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Yeah, this may be the second election in a row where I don't vote for any presidential candidate.

I would urge you to vote third party then - most any third party. At the very least, that would send a message to the Big 2 that people are tired of their antics. I've done this several times when both the GOP and Dem nominees were people I really couldn't stand.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If Newt gets the nomination IMHO it'll split the GOP in two, literally and probably semi-permanently. On the upside, the tea party will be landslided into shutting up with their "we the people" bullshit.

You kidding?

They'd do the same thing as with Bush - 'he's not OUR guy'.

Bush was the 'far right, evangelical, radical conservative' candidate for that base in 2000, he was 'their guy' and they were thrilled to have him. Ha ha, watch out DC!!

I predicted correctly when he was terrible, they'd say, 'wasn't our guy'.

If Newt won and was horrible, 'we wanted Santorum'.

Feb 10, 2000
What makes you believe he is getting all these votes because the REP establishment says so . This is all about keeping deligates away from Ron PAUL . Its starting to backfire now as people are seeing the polls are way off after the states vote it doesn't match up like it has in the past. If Gingrich gets the call Paul won't go 3rd party . If Romney gets it Paul will go 3rd party to keep romney out of White house . Not that there will be an election which there won't be

Typical Paulbot delusions of persecution. Is it really so hard to believe that Ron Paul is essentially irrelevant to this contest? Why wouldn't there be an election?

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
I would seriously bet every cent I own that Newt does not win the nomination. There is simply no way I can believe that the Republican Party will commit collective suicide in that manner. Even if he somehow won a bunch of primaries I would expect him to be derailed at the convention.

Hmm....you need to get spidey to bet you, and you can double your net worth! :D

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Hilarious. Republicans only have candidates to not vote for.

Ron Paul, but we're told he's too unelectable because he has a few radical ideas that would never make it anywhere anyway. You know, that whole checks and balances thing we're supposed to have in government to safeguard us from such things.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Actually Newt is an outsider. Noone likes him who has worked with him. Few call him a friend. Few know where he is going to be on an issue at any given time.

Yup outsider...

Oct 30, 2004
Gingrich seemed to drop out of sight before the 2000 presidential election. I don't know what he did when he was Speaker of the House, but he sure does seem to have made a lot of enemies in the Republican Party. He may have done all sorts of things behind closed doors to piss people off.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I LOV this internal fight in the republican party.
Or better said "FOR" the republican party.
Hey...!
We told you republicans, cozying up to the tea baggers would come back to bite you in the butt.
Why do you think democrats are not quite THAT stupid crazy desperate?
Yo Republicans... everyone knew it would come down to this.
Tea vs coffee.
Tea bagger's vs the old traditional's!
Who could have known "that giant sucking sound" Ross Perot once referred to, could have been half of the republican party sucking up to the tea baggers?
And now... one way or the other, MAJOR WAR is a comin...

Here we have two totally opposed sides of the same party.
Each side wearing a bag full of dynamite, more than willing to take down the entire building, if necessary.
And it will be.

And all that squirming going on within...!
Every republican notable going on TV, must immediately redirect the conversation onto attacking Obama. Anyone else noticing that?
And WHY must they do that...?
Because... they CAN-NOT have the conversation focus on what the hell will happen within their own party if Romney is the victor, vs Newt the victor.
Oh the humanity !!!!! :D :D :D

When is the republican convention?
And should protective eye-ware be mandatory? :D

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Gingrich seemed to drop out of sight before the 2000 presidential election. I don't know what he did when he was Speaker of the House, but he sure does seem to have made a lot of enemies in the Republican Party. He may have done all sorts of things behind closed doors to piss people off.

some 54 charges of ethics violations.

something like that.

Oh, and his leadership was basically this: "If you are in the republican caucus, then you align with my vision of conservatism. If you do not, then I will replace you."

As deeply as this man was loathed by both sides, he was actually less polarizing than the assclowns in congress today--he actually worked with Clinton to balance the budget and overhaul medicare.

imagine that.