Dole's plea to conservatives

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/26/dole-assails-gingrich-in-plea-to-conservatives/

"In 1997 a number of House members wanted to throw him out as Speaker," Dole wrote. "But he hung on until after the 1998 elections when the writing was on the wall. His mounting ethics problems caused him to resign in early 1999. I know whereof I speak as I helped establish a line of credit of $150,000 to help Newt pay off the fine for his ethics violations. In the end, he paid the fine with money from other sources."

Gingrich has characterized the penalty from the ethics panel as reimbursement for their investigation, which centered on a college course he taught that was misclassified as tax-exempt.

Dole drew on his own experience with the former House speaker to paint the candidate as lethal for the Republican Party.

"If Gingrich is the nominee it will have an adverse impact on Republican candidates running for county, state, and federal offices," Dole said. "Hardly anyone who served with Newt in Congress has endorsed him and that fact speaks for itself. He was a one-man-band who rarely took advice. It was his way or the highway."

Dole, who served in the U.S. Senate when Gingrich was House speaker, harkened back to Gingrich's style during his time in Congress.

"Gingrich had a new idea every minute and most of them were off the wall," Dole said. "He loved picking a fight with Bill Clinton because he knew this would get the attention of the press. This and a myriad of other specifics helped to topple Gingrich in 1998."

Dole endorsed Romney in December, and made calls to allies in Iowa urging them to support Romney ahead of the state's first-in-the-nation caucuses. Dole won Iowa in 1996, but ultimately lost the general election to Bill Clinton.

In his letter, Dole placed a measure of blame on Gingrich for the loss.

"In my run for the presidency in 1996 the Democrats greeted me with a number of negative TV ads and in every one of them Newt was in the ad. He was very unpopular and I am not only certain that this did not help me, but that it also cost House seats that year."

Dole pointed to a particular eccentricity of Gingrich's, saying the former speaker's style was as puzzling as it was harmful.

"Newt would show up at the campaign headquarters with an empty ice-bucket in his hand-that was a symbol of some sort for him-and I never did know what he was doing or why he was doing it," Dole wrote.

I have no doubt that Newt played a role in Dole's loss. Not that Dole was that convincing of a choice himself, however.

It's just another Republican lining up against Newt. It's one thing to be criticized by one's enemies, but when your friends are saying many of the same things... the truth is much closer to the public view.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I think of myself as a master at seeing both sides of any issue, but I really don't get the thought process behind Newt Gingrich voters.

he's not to the right of Romney on any significant issue, and what's more, he's a corrupt, amoral, hypocritical lobbyist.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I think of myself as a master at seeing both sides of any issue, but I really don't get the thought process behind Newt Gingrich voters.

he's not to the right of Romney on any significant issue, and what's more, he's a corrupt, amoral, hypocritical lobbyist.

+1

I was just typing almost the same thing so I chose not to plagiarize. Only difference is that Romney made it to all the ballots.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
He's a "bomb thrower". He's a fighter. That's what I'm guessing the basic repub wants to see in a candidate. Take no prisoners, scorched earth policy. They hate Obama so bad they will take someone once hated and shunned by their own party if it means Obama's defeat.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
They hate Obama so bad they will take someone once hated and shunned by their own party if it means Obama's defeat.

I don't believe that for a second. If Newt ever won the nomination you would see how fast this would be disproved. Talking heads keep saying that Republican voters will flock to the eventual nominee, even if it is Newt. They will be eating their words come November. Regardless of politics, people know when to stay home on election day.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You would think the Repubs would be embarrassed as a party to have that pompous jackass as their GOP nominee.

I love how he is running as a "Washington outsider" while living in Washington for the last 30 years. I suppose weak minded sheep will lap that shit right up. LMAO.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Yeah, this may be the second election in a row where I don't vote for any presidential candidate.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I don't believe that for a second. If Newt ever won the nomination you would see how fast this would be disproved. Talking heads keep saying that Republican voters will flock to the eventual nominee, even if it is Newt. They will be eating their words come November. Regardless of politics, people know when to stay home on election day.

I hope you are right and I am wrong.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
+1

I was just typing almost the same thing so I chose not to plagiarize. Only difference is that Romney made it to all the ballots.

I take it to be Gingrich's more combative nature.

I genuinely believe that the type of people voting in Republican primaries, the hardest of the hard right generally, don't just want to win the presidency, they have an emotional need to crush and/or humiliate Obama/liberals/etc. I think they believe that Gingrich is the kind of politician who would do it. (I also think they are hilariously wrong about that)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I would seriously bet every cent I own that Newt does not win the nomination. There is simply no way I can believe that the Republican Party will commit collective suicide in that manner. Even if he somehow won a bunch of primaries I would expect him to be derailed at the convention.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
GOP establishment is panicking and trying to take Gingrich down.
Is Gingrich and the tea party going to just take it and have Romney nomination forced on them?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
He's a "bomb thrower". He's a fighter. That's what I'm guessing the basic repub wants to see in a candidate. Take no prisoners, scorched earth policy. They hate Obama so bad they will take someone once hated and shunned by their own party if it means Obama's defeat.

Ding, ding, ding. You are correct sir.

ODS drives one to do all kinds of crazy things.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Newt would be a disaster for the party. While I think the presidential debates would be interesting as he would take Obama to task without a care in the world. His ideology is more big govt and he is ruthless as well. I think it does say something that former collegues are not lining up to support him.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Oh, yea. The RNC establishment is freaked out that Newt might get the nomination. They understand for sure that Newt's unelectable. That's why they are pulling out the stops.

Not sure how the epitamy of a 1 percenter is going to get elected though on the other hand.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Newt would be a disaster for the party. While I think the presidential debates would be interesting as he would take Obama to task without a care in the world. His ideology is more big govt and he is ruthless as well. I think it does say something that former collegues are not lining up to support him.
it seems like the longer someone has worked with Newt, the more they dislike him.

Joe Scarborough has been ruthlessly tearing into Newt every chance he gets.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dole is right on the mark, Newt has way too much baggage and would get destroyed in a national election. I believe Romney would lose as well, but at least the other offices (senate, congress, local etc) would not take such a big hit, thus limiting the ability of Obama to mess more things up in his second term. I don't want to see a repeat of the obamacare disaster.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Is this the best the GOP has to offer?

The nation is in worst shape then I thought.

No, but they ignored the good choices enough to cause them to flee to another party (Johnson) or drop out of the race because the base in not sane enough this year (Huntsman).

I couldn't say that either of them would beat Obama in the general election, but both are much better than Newt, Romney and Santorum combined.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I would seriously bet every cent I own that Newt does not win the nomination. There is simply no way I can believe that the Republican Party will commit collective suicide in that manner. Even if he somehow won a bunch of primaries I would expect him to be derailed at the convention.
Gingrich can't win the nomination, there were several States in which he's not on the ballot.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Yup, GOP is through if Newt gets nominated, but it won't happen in the most likely scenario. Romney is a very solid, safe bet and will get closer than anyone to defeating Obama.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Gingrich can't win the nomination, there were several States in which he's not on the ballot.

That would not prevent him from winning the nomination, other things will. That being said, you might have been correct about politics for the first time in your entire life, even if for the wrong reason. Gingrich won't win the nomination.

Generator

Mar 4, 2005
Listen to the establishment you belligerent rednecks! Your betters know what is best for you.

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
Yup, GOP is through if Newt gets nominated, but it won't happen in the most likely scenario. Romney is a very solid, safe bet and will get closer than anyone to defeating Obama.
my problem with that is that nothing would change. romney is simply a white obama trying to get nominated on the other side of the spectrum.
he has no idea why hes running for president and has in the past made nothing but rash and pointless decisions.

in short i classify him in the same category as a guy who upgraded from an id 2700k to a 3960X for the purpose of gaming on one screen @ 1080p. he will do nothing but make ridiculous mistakes and act recklessly.

you want that kind of person sitting in (what is considered) the most powerful politically influential seat on the planet??

yeah thats asking for your country to fall apart for the sake of minuscule returns..