DOJ busts dozens in massive college admission cheating scheme

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The people involved all pay to play for their kids to get ahead. Private schools. Tutors. Private coaches. Private lessons of all sorts. Summer programs. They've often had to finagle to get their kids in by paying for the services of people who have expertise & are connected in various ways, people who help them get what they want for their kids. Prestigious sheepskins are part of that. They have very strong social dominance orientation.

It's harder with some kids so they'll go to greater lengths. In a world where everything has a price they'll pay willingly because that's the way it's always worked for them. When it comes to their principles or their kids they know the answer.

Nov 8, 2012
Yes, they need to do it the old fashioned way, donate a bunch of money to get their stupid kid in college like Trump and his Father did, take away from the deserving in a "legal" way.
As I said earlier, that is completely legal... And as much as you want to scold it, it will overall help the school, which helps all the students. Not saying it's something I would ever do... But just realize that building more facilities and such can ultimately be a part of what opens up more seats for more students to attend.

Bribes, on the other hand, help only those involved and is under the table illegal.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The people involved all pay to play for their kids to get ahead. Private schools. Tutors. Private coaches. Private lessons of all sorts. Summer programs. They've often had to finagle to get their kids in by paying for the services of people who have expertise & are connected in various ways, people who help them get what they want for their kids. Prestigious sheepskins are part of that. They have very strong social dominance orientation.

It's harder with some kids so they'll go to greater lengths. In a world where everything has a price they'll pay willingly because that's the way it's always worked for them. When it comes to their principles or their kids they know the answer.
There was a generation of affluent kids that saw this, and saw their parents behavior and rejected this whole nightmare of privilege. They were called hippies. A little history lesson.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
As I said earlier, that is completely legal... And as much as you want to scold it, it will overall help the school, which helps all the students. Not saying it's something I would ever do... But just realize that building more facilities and such can ultimately be a part of what opens up more seats for more students to attend.

Bribes, on the other hand, help only those involved and is under the table illegal.
But God forbid giving some poor minority student a little extra help and the top of your head explodes.

Then again anything to keep the plutocracy in place.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Interesting. USC will not admit any students with applications pending who are connected to this. So far as existing students, they will look at it "case by case" suggesting they will try to determine if the student would likely have known about the parents' fraud.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/13/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme-wednesday/index.html

So some kids may be removed.
They should remove all of them. Those kids have the means to transfer their credits to another school.

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
Nov 25, 2013
Yeah! Fuck those elitist white liberal hollywood stars.

Wait, wut?

Yeah, it's all about Hollywood liberals:

"In all, 50 people were charged in the criminal investigation that went by the name "Operation Varsity Blues." Those arrested include two SAT/ACT administrators, one exam proctor, nine coaches at elite schools, one college administrator and 33 parents, according to Andrew Lelling, the US attorney for Massachusetts.

The parents, Lelling said, were a "catalog of wealth and privilege," including actors, CEOs, a fashion designer and the co-chairman of a global law firm."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah, it's all about Hollywood liberals:

"In all, 50 people were charged in the criminal investigation that went by the name "Operation Varsity Blues." Those arrested include two SAT/ACT administrators, one exam proctor, nine coaches at elite schools, one college administrator and 33 parents, according to Andrew Lelling, the US attorney for Massachusetts.

The parents, Lelling said, were a "catalog of wealth and privilege," including actors, CEOs, a fashion designer and the co-chairman of a global law firm."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html

Just read an article yesterday somewhere which breaks down who these various defendants donated to. Turns out it was pretty evenly divided between D's and R's (slightly more to D's.)

Edit: found it.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/poli...admissions-scandal_n_5c883861e4b0fbd7661ed2fb

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
Just read an article yesterday somewhere which breaks down who these various defendants donated to. Turns out it was pretty evenly divided between D's and R's (slightly more to D's.)

Edit: found it.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/poli...admissions-scandal_n_5c883861e4b0fbd7661ed2fb

Yeah, this isn't about political ideology, it's about the privileges of a bunch of rich folks.

I do find it interesting that the media decided to present 2 hollywood actresses as the public face of this scandal though.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah, this isn't about political ideology, it's about the privileges of a bunch of rich folks.

I do find it interesting that the media decided to present 2 hollywood actresses as the public face of this scandal though.

Interesting but not surprising. They're the only two public celebrities indicted. Their name recognition is what makes this a "big story."

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I find this entire story ridiculous. Yes people paid bribes to get their kids in school but the basic assumption that in general money doesn't get your kids into fancy schools is highly flawed. All these guys are being blamed for is being a little too direct if you ask me.

Why?
Oh right. You’re one of those “ignore reality” people. Never mind.
It is a bit hypocritical for her to say that... just a bit.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I'm pretty sure he's tucked tail and ran once I pointed out that his messiah is a billionaire who appointed the richest cabinet members in history.

And that means what in relation to the facts about the Democrats overwhelming representing the richest districts in the country?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I find this entire story ridiculous. Yes people paid bribes to get their kids in school but the basic assumption that in general money doesn't get your kids into fancy schools is highly flawed. All these guys are being blamed for is being a little too direct if you ask me.

It is a bit hypocritical for her to say that... just a bit.

It's worse than that. It's outright bribery.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
And that means what in relation to the facts about the Democrats overwhelming representing the richest districts in the country?

Democrats represent the majority of the American people and yes that includes rich people. The difference, Mr cherry picking bubble boy, is that one party actually has continuously passed or attempted to pass legislation whose benefits overwhelmingly benefit the rich. You know, like the tax cut that was passed by Republicans. You know like the gutting of the CFPB so it no longer protects more vulnerable Americans. You know like trumps budget which makes huge cuts to Medicaid. You know like Medicaid part D which barred the government from negotiating drug prices. You know like the trump administration that opened up public land for oil and resource taking. Etc, etc ad nauseam.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Honestly, I personally don't even think these are crimes at all, at least crimes the parents should go to jail for.

The guys running the scheme, sure prosecute them but I don't really see why they are going after the parents other than for the publicity.

Jan 25, 2011
Honestly, I personally don't even think these are crimes at all, at least crimes the parents should go to jail for.

The guys running the scheme, sure prosecute them but I don't really see why they are going after the parents other than for the publicity.
That and the fact the parents were deducting their bribes from their taxes as charitable donations but whatever right? It’s just the law.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
The tax stuff is certainly the most damning part but even that is questionable. There are people who donate to schools to get their kids in and then write off the donation as charity. Should we send them to jail? I just don't see what all the fuss is and why the parents or their kids who had no clue this was even going on by report are being dragged through the mud.

Jan 25, 2011
The tax stuff is certainly the most damning part but even that is questionable. There are people who donate to schools to get their kids in and then write off the donation as charity. Should we send them to jail? I just don't see what all the fuss is and why the parents or their kids who had no clue this was even going on by report are being dragged through the mud.
Have you even read the details of the case?

They didn’t donate to the schools. They knowingly paid for people to take the SATs and establish fake athletic histories for their kids and funneled that money through what they knew were fake charities set up specifically to hide the payments. Then they deducted those payments as charitable donations.

You don’t think the kids knew they didn’t take the tests? That they didn’t have the athletic backgrounds when they posed for the pictures to create the profiles?

Last edited: