Dogs vs. Cats

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: GDaddy
Dogs are like little boys
Cats are like women

Learning how to relate with one helps with the other

Cats can't get you laid...
neither can dogs

unless you are into beastality

This reminded me of how I was introduced to the dog breed (Great Pyrenees) I later came to own and love. No, not that way!

When I was 14 or so, I was watching a guy play with his dog at the park. I noticed him because his white shaggy dog was the biggest dog I had ever seen other than a Great Dane.

He was playing fetch with a Frisbee with a twist. He would toss the Frisbee near a good looking girl and the dog would go over and clamp his mouth over the girl's wrist and drag her back to his owner. He'd yell 'bad dog!' and make excuses to the girl explaining that he 'wasn't very bright' etc.

In the course of things he'd chat her up and try to get a date. I thought nothing of this until the third time it happened in a four hour period. That dog was a great actor! Cringing and whining when his owner said 'bad dog' but, gladly going out to do it again. :)

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Cats are like women

Cats can't get you laid...
neither can dogs

unless you are into beastality

This reminded me of how I was introduced to the dog breed (Great Pyrenees) I later came to own and love. No, not that way!

When I was 14 or so, I was watching a guy play with his dog at the park. I noticed him because his white shaggy dog was the biggest dog I had ever seen other than a Great Dane.

He was playing fetch with a Frisbee with a twist. He would toss the Frisbee near a good looking girl and the dog would go over and clamp his mouth over the girl's wrist and drag her back to his owner. He'd yell 'bad dog!' and make excuses to the girl explaining that he 'wasn't very bright' etc.

In the course of things he'd chat her up and try to get a date. I thought nothing of this until the third time it happened in a four hour period. That dog was a great actor! Cringing and whining when his owner said 'bad dog' but, gladly going out to do it again. :)

Lol dog wasn't acting it was just being a dog. Dog's don't know why you are scolding them, but as long as u are happy a second later they will be happy as well. It's all in the tone of voice, really.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Cats are like women

Dog are as high maintenance as women. You have to clean up its poop, take it for walks, play with it all the time, give it all sorts attention otherwise it feels neglected.

You can leave a cat alone for a few days and it'll clean itself up, relieve itself where it needs to, and it'll still be happy.

In 3rd world countries cats are useful in hunting down mice, dogs are just all around dirty worthless creatures that have a tendency to get violent. Pit bulls anyone?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Syringer
Cats are like women

Dog are as high maintenance as women. You have to clean up its poop, take it for walks, play with it all the time, give it all sorts attention otherwise it feels neglected.

You can leave a cat alone for a few days and it'll clean itself up, relieve itself where it needs to, and it'll still be happy.

In 3rd world countries cats are useful in hunting down mice, dogs are just all around dirty worthless creatures that have a tendency to get violent. Pit bulls anyone?

And dogs save peoples lives, perform in rescue, therapy, law/drug enforcement, assist the disabled, work, etc.

What about cats?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
they are all dumb animals.

I do prefer the low maintenance of a cat though. I also prefer cat personalities and that they are not needy like dogs. I guess if you have the time dogs are fine. I don't have the time. And my nose is too sensitive to dog stink.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Cats are like women

And dogs save peoples lives, perform in rescue, therapy, law/drug enforcement, assist the disabled, work, etc.

What about cats?

They shit in your house.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Cats are like women

What about cats?

They shit in your house.

you can train cats to use the toilet and flush if you care enough to.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Cats are like women

What about cats?
lots of documented cases of those.

In fact, a burglar was viciously attacked by a cat and driven out of the home.

And who can forget that brave mother cat that risked her life to save her kittens from a fire in a old building.

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
Originally posted by: GoatMonkey
Dogs are fun sometimes, but cats are much less of a pain in the ass to live with full time.

Imagine this situation. You're out with friends having dinner. You finish and someone says "hey, let's go do something else"... get drinks, watch a movie, whatever. The dog owner then says "I can't I left my dog inside and he needs to get out for a walk." Meanwhile, the cat owner is out partying, or whatever.

A dog is great fun for a weekend in the park playing frisbee, but the rest of the time it's not worth it. Somebody needs to start a dog rental business.

they already did DOG RENTAL:confused:

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
I'm a cat person indoors, for convenience, for cleanliness, for affection, and for extreme amusement value. We love our kitty to bits.

Dogs are outdoors pets, and when we have a big enough yard, we'll get one, if I can be bothered walking it.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: GoatMonkey
Dogs are fun sometimes, but cats are much less of a pain in the ass to live with full time.

Imagine this situation. You're out with friends having dinner. You finish and someone says "hey, let's go do something else"... get drinks, watch a movie, whatever. The dog owner then says "I can't I left my dog inside and he needs to get out for a walk." Meanwhile, the cat owner is out partying, or whatever.

A dog is great fun for a weekend in the park playing frisbee, but the rest of the time it's not worth it. Somebody needs to start a dog rental business.

From having a cat in my house to having a dog, I must agree. Dogs are a ton of work, and they always like to mess your stuff up, dig through trashcans, and piss and shit all over the place. Not to mention they get all greasy and smelly after 2-3 days after the shower, so you don't even really want to pet it.
Yes, and they always whine and make when you're eating.

Cat's on the other hand, are almost maintence free. They keep themselves cleaner than most people do. And they're a lot nice to pet and cuddle with :)

But then again, you can't really play with a cat in which you can with a dog.

I persoally prefer hugging my cat to sleep over throwing a friggen bone around while watching the dog frantically running around like a like an inane fool.

Oct 4, 2004
I have a few stray cats that have set up base on our property. We feed them, take care of them and play with them but they are strictly outdoors cats. I had a few pets (indoors-only) but I get too attached to them and they keep dying on me.

I like other people's dogs. A good friend (with a nice big yard) has this beautiful Lab. He's this big, awesome critter. Never makes much noise, never makes a mess, actually likes meeting strangers and getting acquainted...simply the most laidback and relaxed dog that I've ever seen (he's almost like a cat). Probably takes after his master (lazy, easy going guy eerily reminiscent of 'The Dude').

He enjoys spending time on his own but is ever willing to snuggle up next to you and fall asleep with his head in your lap. I like that temperament. He seems to like me an awful lot although I only hang out at his place once a month.

I'd like to have both, actually.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
Cats are like women

What about cats?

And who can forget that brave mother cat that risked her life to save her kittens from a fire in a old building.

So there are rescue(water, avalanche, cadaver, etc) cats? Cats that assist the blind and disabled? Work in law/drug enforcement?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
Cats are like women

What about cats?

So there are rescue(water, avalanche, cadaver, etc) cats? Cats that assist the blind and disabled? Work in law/drug enforcement?

man, it is a pet, not a gadget or employee. who cares about usefulness? I dont have pets for heir usefulness factor, the same way I dont have friends for their usefulness factor.