dog just bit me!!

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
not my dog, but my best friends, who i've been staying at for the past 2 weeks. the dogs this small cute dog, about 12 years old. not much life left. but he's the greediest little retard i know, not at all food trained.

anyway, i've known the dog for like 4 years, he totally loves me cause i always give it food and such. he was in my room and i came in here, and he had opened my backpack and was feasting off of my chocolates! he saw me, i came towards him, no growl, no warning, nothign. i just held his back and he snapped at me! its like jeeze, wtf, you don't have rabies, and i've been practically your master!

he got a small bite on my forefinger, but thats about it. he feels bad now, i can tell cause he keeps looking at me but keeps his distance.

just put some antisceptic, i knwo the dog has been vaccinated so no worries in that aspect. but i'm still feeling so hurt, is that stupid?

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I'd be more worried about how the dog is feeling.

Chocolate is supposed to be REALLY bad for dogs.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
The older dogs get, the stupider they become.

- M4H

and more spoilt apparently. this thing is this fat dog, eats non stop and bothers everyone at the dining table. no manners, but the owners feel bad cause they know the end is near and they want to send him off with style.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8

yeah heard about that before. and he had a good 4 ounces of it.

Emveach

Feb 3, 2003
Could be the dog thought you were going to steal the food. If a dog isn't trained to trust people while eating as a pup, it never will learn. Don't take it personal, it was just defending his food.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: zimu

2 lbs of chocolate will kill a 75 pound lab (don't ask for a source I just tend to remember random facts that I read in magazines or newspapers). Look at the size of that dog and figure accordingly.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
You have to remember that dogs do still have their wild instincts. The dog was challenging you for the food, which by the way, you need to be careful of. Chocolate can be deadly to dogs. You should probably call a vet.

As for yourself, keep the wound clean and watch for signs of infection.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Azraele
You have to remember that dogs do still have their wild instincts. The dog was challenging you for the food, which by the way, you need to be careful of. Chocolate can be deadly to dogs. You should probably call a vet.

thanks a lot, will do.
anythign else you can "catch" if you're bitten?

plus its weird, when i feed this dog i don't just dump it on a plate, i give it to him right in his mouth, he never has ONCE snapped or anything, he'll gently take the food, as small as it is, from mmy fingers.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
pfft, what a wuss. my dog bit me and i got 50+ stitches in my face and reconstuctive surgery. and no, dogs have instincts. i DID raise my dog from 3 weeks old and he is 7.5 years now. he has never done anything like that to me. you cant expect it to be like a human when it isnt. feel bad if you want, but the dog was just being a dog. it wasnt premeditated and you probably scared it.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Azraele

thanks a lot, will do.
anythign else you can "catch" if you're bitten?

plus its weird, when i feed this dog i don't just dump it on a plate, i give it to him right in his mouth, he never has ONCE snapped or anything, he'll gently take the food, as small as it is, from mmy fingers.

yeah, so do most dogs. you cant lose sight of the fact that it is still an animal.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
by the way, i dont mean to sound like an insensitive prick even though it came off that way. its just that you came here whining about a dog that bit you and it was practically your fault. i do understand why you are upset because you didnt think it would ever do that, but the real world part of that is you just took it for granted all the other times, just like i did.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: SackOfAllTrades
maybe the dog would have left you alone if you hadn't rubbed butter all over yourself. think about it.

LOL! thinking... still thinking... still thinking.
hmm

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Its a given that dogs are animals. But all animals can be trained to respect their owners. Sounds to me like their owners never applied the "foot in ass" method to teaching a dog not to bite someone. They learn extremely fast and it usually only takes one application for them to understand it when applied. I've owned over 7 dogs in my lifetime, all were well behaved and NEVER bit anyone in anger or fear.
So to say that a dog biting someone is just that dog "being a dog" is an animal training cop-out. Dogs arent stupid, they can learn as well as any pet available to you. It's the time you spend training them that makes the difference.

~wnied~

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Staley8

2 lbs of chocolate will kill a 75 pound lab (don't ask for a source I just tend to remember random facts that I read in magazines or newspapers). Look at the size of that dog and figure accordingly.

yea its variable, depends on breed. but one thing is certain,the darker the chocolate, the more lethal it is.

and a biter...ouch, one main thing u always should train a dog to do is to never react when his food is taken from him. guess ur friend let him guard his food dish. u never let em do that, makes em think they are the big dog. gotta put em in their place from day one.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: wnied
Its a given that dogs are animals. But all animals can be trained to respect their owners. Sounds to me like their owners never applied the "foot in ass" method to teaching a dog not to bite someone. They learn extremely fast and it usually only takes one application for them to understand it when applied. I've owned over 7 dogs in my lifetime, all were well behaved and NEVER bit anyone in anger or fear.
So to say that a dog biting someone is just that dog "being a dog" is an animal training cop-out. Dogs arent stupid, they can learn as well as any pet available to you. It's the time you spend training them that makes the difference.

~wnied~

you know whats funny about that? you are right, but not really. if you are scared and surrounded by some guys in an alley, you will resort to instincts, not what you are taught. i highly dought you will resort to peaceful means if you are facing an advance from a guy with some sort of weapon. how do you know if he has a knife or a gun? you dont, so you will be on your highest alert the second you sense danger. argue that and you are just plain wrong. why should a dog react any differently? thats right, they shouldnt, and they dont. if it is dark, they are asleep, and you startle them, how the hell are they supposed to know who it is and if they are going to hurt them? dogs have dreams. what if your dog is having a bad dream and you scare the hell out of it? what if you were asleep, having a dream you were being murdered or chased, and someone you cant see is standing next to your bed when you wake up? i HIGHLY doubt you would be calm, stand up and smile and say hello.

i didnt beat the hell out of him when he was little, but i definitely did what ALL the books said to make him know he was not equal to us. he never even HINTED at wanting to hurt anyone or bite them, and i could take a bone right out of his mouth at any time i wanted to. but when the situation is just right, they can still act like animals, so saying that is a cop-out is an uninformed answer. believe it or not, some people actually ask vets and trainers questions instead of just letting them do their job. i happen to be one of those people.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
what i've heard about chocolate is that it isn't any more poisonous to them than it is to us, it's just that because of their body weight, it takes less to poison them than it does for us. if you've got a 15 pound terrier or whatever, every bite he takes is like 10-15 human bites. so you gotta watch em but a few bites won't kill them.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
what i've heard about chocolate is that it isn't any more poisonous to them than it is to us, it's just that because of their body weight, it takes less to poison them than it does for us. if you've got a 15 pound terrier or whatever, every bite he takes is like 10-15 human bites. so you gotta watch em but a few bites won't kill them.

wrong, it contains a chemical that they can't handle. just look it up:p its not an old wives tale.