Does your house have an "open door" policy?

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Mine did, for close to 20 years, and to some extent still does - though we've been involved in something of a "family feud" over the last several years. That said, it's something I hope to continue once I get settled in my new apartment. I like it - makes life interesting to say the least. While I was growing up, my aunt and uncle stayed with us many times when they were visiting from Alabama (and later Chicago), my grandparents stayed here a few times after they moved to Florida, my cousin lived with us for 3 years while she finished college, another uncle stayed with us while he was, uh...drying out ;), my brother has brought home friends (guys and girls both) to sleep off a party rather than let them drive, and some of my *own* friends have come by, even when I wasn't home, to cool off and talk or stay when things weren't going so well at home.

So, how about you?

Nate

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
No. If you want to come to my house, call first.

Damn mother-in-law. :|

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
No, it's not gonna happen, ever. I don't want the guests to call the police when I have one of my spontaneous spank the monkey in the "any room in the house" moments.

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
Mine pretty much always has. Although it was never taken advantage near as much as yours was.

My friend's house is the same way. I'll stop by to talk to him and he isn't there, but one of his friends is in his room playing some games, so I'll stay and goof with them, or chat with his sister or mother(neither are hawt, no asking for pics, you won't want them, fo sho).

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Mine doesn't, but my mother-out-law seems to think it does.

I was sleeping in my boxers on the couch one Sunday afternoon (had a rough night), had a pee-boner popping out, and my in-laws came barging in through the garage door. I jumped up when I heard the door open (scared the living (*&#$*(& out of me!), and all I remember seeing what her eyes popping open and her covering her mouth in horror. She continues to barge in at random times, and loves to bring up the story of her seeing my wang during holiday parties :| She even scolded me about how I shouldn't be in boxer shorts on MY *(&(*^(^$ COUCH.

Out-laws suck :| I started deadbolting my doors because of that.

pcnerd37

Sep 20, 2004
Our house isnt, but I dont have any friends that come over, so its not necessary. Im starting college in October and have yet to decide what policy i will adopt. I prefer close door as it has more security advantages, but in theory, open door would be more fun.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Fritzo

I was sleeping in my boxers on the couch one Sunday afternoon (had a rough night), had a pee-boner popping out, and my in-laws came barging in through the garage door. I jumped up when I heard the door open (scared the living (*&#$*(& out of me!), and all I remember seeing what her eyes popping open and her covering her mouth in horror. She continues to barge in at random times, and loves to bring up the story of her seeing my wang during holiday parties :| She even scolded me about how I shouldn't be in boxer shorts on MY *(&(*^(^$ COUCH.

She just likes to tell the story because she thinks that your penis was hilariously small.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Pretty much. Unless you are trying to sell me something, I don't like you, you are doing drugs, or you are drinking underage. Other than that -- come on over.

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked
No, it's not gonna happen, ever. I don't want the guests to call the police when I have one of my spontaneous spank the monkey in the "any room in the house" moments.

eww

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
Originally posted by: Fritzo

She just likes to tell the story because she thinks that your penis was hilariously small.

I don't doubt it!

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Mill
Pretty much. Unless you are trying to sell me something, I don't like you, you are doing drugs, or you are drinking underage. Other than that -- come on over.

:(

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Open to who? Our doors are generally locked, and we don't especially like unannounced visits. It's kind of a policy for most of the family, immediate and extended.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
If you're family, you are UNCONDITIONALLY BARRED FROM THIS APARTMENT. I don't need any rumors about my den of collegiate delinquincy getting back to my parents.
If you're a friend under 18, I require 48 hours notice to secure anything that may result in my contributing to the delinquincy of a minor.
If you're a friend 18 or over, I require 15 minutes notice to make sure I'm wearing pants.
If you're a friend 21 or over and are making a delivery, the door's open.
If you're a cop, I require a warrant.
If you're my landlord, I require 24 hours notice.
If you're a douchebag, you will need to lay siege to my front door and starve me out.
If I don't know you, what the fvck are you doing trying to come into my apartment?

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
If you're family, you are UNCONDITIONALLY BARRED FROM THIS APARTMENT. I don't need any rumors about my den of collegiate delinquincy getting back to my parents.
If you're a friend under 18, I require 48 hours notice to secure anything that may result in my contributing to the delinquincy of a minor.
If you're a friend 18 or over, I require 15 minutes notice to make sure I'm wearing pants.
If you're a douchebag, you will need to lay siege to my front door and starve me out.
If I don't know you, what the fvck are you doing trying to come into my apartment?

:D

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000
My house does. The people who are welcome know to just come on in. Everybody else knocks or rings the bell.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: EyeMWing

I'm over 21, so you don't have to wear pants for me? :lips:

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Well, I didn't mean that I would let *anybody* in, of course :p As you can see from the OP, most of our 'visitors' were family, but not all. I agree with some of the other posters - those who are welcome any time know it, and those who aren't know that too. But, like I said, it certainly made for an interesting time growing up.

Nate