does splitting internet with ethernet splitter reduce connection speed greatly?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Nevermind, I misread what you're trying to do, you do infact need a router

The OP was sort of confusing but if you want both computers to be sharing one external IP you need NAT and therfore a router.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Semidevil
went ahead and added a poll as there seems to be a bit debate between some folks.

!!! YOU WANT A ROUTER, IT CAN BE WIRED OR WIRELESS !!!

Originally posted by: Platypus
Nevermind, I misread what you're trying to do, you do infact need a router[/B\

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why does this need a poll?....

You need a router. A hub and/or switch will not work, unless you only want one computer to be online at a time. Whichever computer grabs the IP first will be online, otherwise.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Your poll is only making this thread more confusing. You need a router. The hub and switch will not work in this case.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: WobbleWobble
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
I believe if you have an internet connection to share you have to use a router, just a hub doesn't "split" the outside connection.

It can actually. If your ISP offers you more than one IP, you can use a hub/switch to tap into those extra IPs.

But then you're not sharing a connection. You need a router to share a single connection.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
okay guys, hope you dont get mad, but I found a wireless router in my closet. I connected my pc and laptop together, and voila! it worked so easily.

everything is good to go.

one question though.

what do I need to do to protect my network so no one can access it, use my connection or access my files/activities?

all I did was plug everything in and it worked. I did not install the included program. from my experience, everytime I used this routers included software, it gave me so much problems with connection, so I just plugged it in and it worked.

what do I do to ensure it is protected? I have the default windows firewall enabled. is that enough?

btw, it is an older model microsoft wireless router, mn500.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Semidevil
btw, it is an older model microsoft wireless router, mn500.

Alert - WEP-only router detected.
Recommended security measure - disable wireless access entirely. :p

- M4H

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
thanks guys.

I did some searcing, but I still could not find any instructions on how to disable the wireless/wep access....

any ideas?

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
Text Read through that. You can probably skip step 1 considering you plugged it in already and it works. This will secure the wireless part and get the rest of it set up good.

EDIT: Text There are the user manuals and product guides for the microsoft wireless stuff, find yours and read through them if the other link dosent do waht you want.