does splitting internet with ethernet splitter reduce connection speed greatly?

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
I have a laptop that is in pretty bad condition, but 70% of the time, it will function fine without shutting down.

I want to go ahead have it share the internet connection with my current desktop. My plan was to just buy a cheap ethernet splitter and connect them all together. If I do that, does it reduce internet speed greatly? If it's to the point of unuseability, then it's not worth it, considering the laptop itself is kind of crappy.

what do you think? any suggestions?

btw, I dont use internet for online games or anything. mostly anandtech, other forums, and occasional youtube/facebook/myspace.

also, is ethernet hub and splitter the same thing for my needs?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What is an "ethernet splitter"? Do you mean a hub/switch?

In any case.. Your bandwidth is your bandwidth. It does not matter which computer you are accessing the bandwidth from, all of it will be available - assuming no other computers on the network are using any.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Shouldn't affect Speed at all. It might affect the Quality of your connection, if anything. I'm not an IT/Network kinda guy though, so whether that would happen or what it would mean should be answered by someone else.

Severian

Oct 30, 2004
by cheap ethernet splitter, are you referring to a router?

Any device that splits the connectivity of your internet connection generally just makes the bandwidth available to multiple users. That bandwidth is shared, but each user has the use of 100% of the connection's total bandwidth if no one else is using it.

Are we talking about a cable modem or DSL connection?

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Severian

Any device that splits the connectivity of your internet connection generally just makes the bandwidth available to multiple users. That bandwidth is shared, but each user has the use of 100% of the connection's total bandwidth if no one else is using it.

I have a cable connection currently. I"m not sure what's it called, but its one of thse 10 dollar cheap hubs.....about 6 inch length, rectangular, and has 6 ethernet jacks available.

btw, any reccomendations on what type of hub to buy?

Oct 20, 2005
If you have DSL or cable internet, get a router and plug your comps into that. You will not see any slow downs on any computer.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Semidevil

I have a cable connection currently. I"m not sure what's it called, but its one of thse 10 dollar cheap hubs.....about 6 inch length, rectangular, and has 6 ethernet jacks available.

If you already have one, why not just try it? The most you can lose is like 2 hours. Try and see, and report back. :)

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I believe if you have an internet connection to share you have to use a router, just a hub doesn't "split" the outside connection.

mh47g

May 25, 2007
I'm trying to figure out why this is in off-topic :confused:. As others have said, no, it will not affect your speed in the slightest.

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Vegitto
Originally posted by: Semidevil

If you already have one, why not just try it? The most you can lose is like 2 hours. Try and see, and report back. :)

well actually I dont have one. I need to buy one, that's why I want to make sure to buy the right one.

Severian

Oct 30, 2004
another thing to consider is that some ISP's do not allow sharing of your IP address, otherwise known as multiple connections like you want to do. A router neatly gets around this by using NAT to hand out different addresses while blocking your IP's ability to see you have more than one computer connected to your cable modem.

I've been using a cheap TrendNet router for four years with no problems at all. Even does port-forwarding and VPN, etc. I got it at Newegg for less than $30.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, you want a router.. not a hub. A hub will be a pain in the ass with the setup you want.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
configuration one
[coaxial cable line] --- [coaxial cable modem] --- [firewall/router] --- [one or more computers connected to the routher through separate ethernet cables]

configuration two
[coaxial cable line] --- [coaxial cable splitter (small rectangle with three coaxial connections)] --- [two separate coaxial cables typically directed to two separate cable boxes]

The second configuration may allow for one coaxial cable to connect to a cable television box with the second coaxial cable connecting to an internet cable modem. Which setup are you talking about?

Multiple computers are connected to a router/firewall that further connects to the cable modem, such as in configuration one above. A router does not create a weaker signal for multiple computers. Multiple computers accessing a common internet connection will have to share that connection so the internet connection may appear slower for any one computer. However, current cable connections are faster than most single home computer connections require so it is doubtful any slowed connection will be noticed.

Splitting a coaxial cable, such as in configuration two, does reduce the strength of the signal and the weakened signal can often be noticed but I do not think this is what you are asking. Additionally, I am not familiar with the resolution to this problem. I think the cable company would have to install a signal repeater outside of the home to strengthen the signal before it is split within the home.

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
I believe if you have an internet connection to share you have to use a router, just a hub doesn't "split" the outside connection.

It can actually. If your ISP offers you more than one IP, you can use a hub/switch to tap into those extra IPs.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: RaiderJ

Nothing will split the "Outside connection." A hub will do what the OP wants, but he would do better to buy a router.

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
ok, so I"ll be needing a router right? not a hub, and not a switch....just want to make sure.

oh btw, why would I not want a hub??

btw, this will be wired, if that makes any difference.

example: this??http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-EN104TP-4-Port-Ethernet-Uplink/dp/B00000J4M9/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/002-8359402-8527200?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180299751&sr=8-4

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Platypus
What you want is a switch

There is no need for a router in this design.

Why would they not need a router? Unless their ISP allows more than one IP, wouldn't plugging two computers into a hub or switch be pointless?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
you need a router
hub would require you set one of your pcs to do the internet connection sharing with 2 network cards..and you would have to leave it on.
i've seen airlink routers from 9-20bucks:p