Does racial favoritism occur in your workplace?

Does racial favoritism occur in your workplace?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Many where I work think so. I'm wondering if it's still a common occurrence in this day and time

PenguinPower

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
It's not appropriate for me to comment on my place of work but, in general, there is racial favoritism in almost all places of business, overt or not.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
What exactly do you mean by favoritism though? Like what types of things would be happening?

We are all equal at work, but when I first started there, I got a lot of attention because I am the only black (and female) person in the Tech Support office. It wasn't negative attention though. People were just intrigued.

However, many of the PHDs and such we service are black. Its a good mix, so I don't think it was as big a deal as some people were making it out to be.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've always been in a majority white place. Where there's been black or others, they seemed to get treated the same as everyone else.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I would say yes, based on my knowledge of certain minority co-workers that have been promoted not because they deserved it (quite the opposite); but rather, because management does not want to appear to be slighting minorities.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've never seen any. White people get the good jobs, minorities get the crappy jobs...that's the natural order of things.

Black may be beautiful
Tan may be grand
But white is the color of the big boss man.

:p

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Overall I'd say there has not been discrimination solely based on race. But we did have some blacks that dressed/acted ghetto and were loud/obnoxious/entitlement types. Management documented anything negative, quietly built up a case against them and fired them when the time was right.

PenguinPower

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
Lot's of people are either ignorant to it or lying to themselves.

Work for the government? There's racial favoritism at your place of employ.

Work for a company that does more than 50k per annum in business with the government? There's racial favoritism at your place of employ.

Hell, work for a human occupied business? Somewhere, at some point, there has been racial favoritism at your place of employ.

Note: Racial favoritism is not necessarily illegal.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Everyone is treated the same for the most part, but definitely different criteria for success and a lot more forgiveness for mistakes of one race versus others.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
At my last job there was an obvious crew of white guy chums who got promoted a lot to positions they were incompetent to be in.

I was actually friends with a lot of them and management / execs were all white guys. So we did have a lot of Asian engineers who were the quiet Asian type but I still think more should have had an opportunity. I am pretty vocal and not your stereotypical Asian engineer but you knew you weren't in that brotherhood.

Anyway we got bought out by a huge multinational and a lit of those guys got demoted. That said I quit anyway.

Some places its obvious there's an old boys network others its relatively fair. But yeah still happens for sure.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Lot's of people are either ignorant to it or lying to themselves.

Work for the government? There's racial favoritism at your place of employ.

Work for a company that does more than 50k per annum in business with the government? There's racial favoritism at your place of employ.

Hell, work for a human occupied business? Somewhere, at some point, there has been racial favoritism at your place of employ.

Note: Racial favoritism is not necessarily illegal.

And you know this how? Seems like ridiculous speculation to me.

KT

Last edited:

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
And you know this how? Seems like ridiculous speculation to me.

KT

There are many stats in many sociology textbooks and probably research papers that say women and minorities are under-represented in workplaces...

I work for guberment too, and it's rather well known, unofficially, that we give extra points to "target populations". Being Canadian, you should know Quebecois/"select Francophones" get favorable treatment in Federal (and probably provincial) government jobs.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
We hire everybody but Indians at our business. We have lots of blacks and latinos at our business. The whites and good looking ones work the front.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've never seen any. White people get the good jobs, minorities get the crappy jobs...that's the natural order of things.

Black may be beautiful
Tan may be grand

:p

Shouldn't it be:

Black may be beautiful
And grand to be tan

to rhyme?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
There are many stats in many sociology textbooks and probably research papers that say women and minorities are under-represented in workplaces...

I work for guberment too, and it's rather well known, unofficially, that we give extra points to "target populations". Being Canadian, you should know Quebecois/"select Francophones" get favorable treatment in Federal (and probably provincial) government jobs.

I work in the private sector and when I hire, it's up to me based on their credentials and their fit for the role, so I've never encountered anything like some sort of conspiracy to hire from a particular group of people. I know bilinguals are preferred in government jobs, but I have no problem with that as we have a stupid two language country so the ability to speak both languages is useful or even required, but a push just for Quebecers is not something I was aware of.

KT

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Another example of discrimination: Residency requirements, so high minority cities can discriminate against whites who mostly live in the suburbs.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
With my current employer our hiring and promotions pretty well reflect our community. One thing I noticed working with engineering forms is that lots of women engineers get hired but tend to get diverted off the management track and into support roles (GIS, database management, specialized analysis), roles that don't lead to upper management careers.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
At my last office job, yes, in spades. It's one of the reasons my wife and I quit.

Even when I was in the Army, women and minorities were promoted right on time to maintain quota, whether they were capable or dead weight.

PenguinPower

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
I work in the private sector and when I hire, it's up to me based on their credentials and their fit for the role, so I've never encountered anything like some sort of conspiracy to hire from a particular group of people. I know bilinguals are preferred in government jobs, but I have no problem with that as we have a stupid two language country so the ability to speak both languages is useful or even required, but a push just for Quebecers is not something I was aware of.

KT

Cool, so you're basing your comment of your experience alone.

My first two point were because the company would be required to have an AAP, and therefore demonstrate some form of favoritism. My last point was because the majority of people - again, whether overt or not - have favoritism for people similar to them.