Does racial favoritism occur in your workplace?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Does racial favoritism occur in your workplace?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Cool, so you're basing your comment of your experience alone.

My first two point were because the company would be required to have an AAP, and therefore demonstrate some form of favoritism. My last point was because the majority of people - again, whether overt or not - have favoritism for people similar to them.

Not really. I have friends and family who work for the government and something like this has never come up as an issue, maybe it's more of a concern in The United States of America? Regardless if you are hiring someone just because they look like you, or like Star Wars as much as you do, you're an idiot (the universal you, not you specifically do that).

KT

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I work in the private sector and when I hire, it's up to me based on their credentials and their fit for the role, so I've never encountered anything like some sort of conspiracy to hire from a particular group of people. I know bilinguals are preferred in government jobs, but I have no problem with that as we have a stupid two language country so the ability to speak both languages is useful or even required, but a push just for Quebecers is not something I was aware of.

KT

Unfortunately, you may not be what "average" people do when they hire.

I can see racial favouritism occur more often in larger companies because once you get big enough, you attract more attention and scrutiny. Maybe everyone you hired objectively was the best fit and most qualified, but they all happen to be one particular race. In this day and age, it's wrong to come off remotely as "racist" (and nowadays, just as devious to use affirmative action). To make your company look like you're inclusive, you start picking people based on their gender and colour. The other perk is that people see you as inclusive, and you may pick up customers from a wider range of backgrounds.

Government is supposed to "represent the people", so it's essentially a requirement to make your workforce reflect that. I think we have (ma guberment job) internal, and probably publicized stats, about how we have more minorities and women than the national/provincial average.

As for francophones, we're starting to get into conspiracy territory, but the heresay that I've heard is that Quebecois>Francophone. The two national languages thing was apparently (plain was?) a political decision and having more Quebecois in Federal government is suppose to relieve some tensions in various ways with that province. Aboriginals are also supposed to be another target group for all of the reasons above.

PenguinPower

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
Not really. I have friends and family who work for the government and something like this has never come up as an issue, maybe it's more of a concern in The United States of America? Regardless if you are hiring someone just because they look like you, or like Star Wars as much as you do, you're an idiot (the universal you, not you specifically do that).

KT

Favoritism doesn't only involve itself in hiring, firing and promotional decisions. It could be as simple as a warehouse supervisor giving a like-race person an easier order in order for them to have a higher production rating because he prefers them to another.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Unfortunately, you may not be what "average" people do when they hire.

I can see racial favouritism occur more often in larger companies because once you get big enough, you attract more attention and scrutiny. Maybe everyone you hired objectively was the best fit and most qualified, but they all happen to be one particular race. In this day and age, it's wrong to come off remotely as "racist" (and nowadays, just as devious to use affirmative action). To make your company look like you're inclusive, you start picking people based on their gender and colour. The other perk is that people see you as inclusive, and you may pick up customers from a wider range of backgrounds.

Government is supposed to "represent the people", so it's essentially a requirement to make your workforce reflect that. I think we have (ma guberment job) internal, and probably publicized stats, about how we have more minorities and women than the national/provincial average.

As for francophones, we're starting to get into conspiracy territory, but the heresay that I've heard is that Quebecois>Francophone. The two national languages thing was apparently (plain was?) a political decision and having more Quebecois in Federal government is suppose to relieve some tensions in various ways with that province. Aboriginals are also supposed to be another target group for all of the reasons above.

Interesting. I can't say I would be shocked if there was a political push to hire more Quebecois since that Province seems to get whatever it wants the majority of the time.

Maybe I'm being naive, and even a bit myopic, but we are a rather large company and I've just been thinking back at not only my hires, but the hires in the departments around me, and there is no consistency that I can see with respect to race or gender. It's a mix of people of from all over the place.

It's weird, I would never have even thought of such a thing until you guys brought it up here. :D

KT

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Most analysts in my department are Asian
Most upper mgmt is white

Sounds about right.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Yes, unqualified minorities get promoted to maintain numbers.

And I'd bet you any amount of money a far higher number of unqualified Caucasian people get promoted. There are no maintained numbers where you work. There's a tiny sliver of the pie they have to by law give to minorities. The fact they're forced to do it should tell you something.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
And I'd bet you any amount of money a far higher number of unqualified Caucasian people get promoted. There are no maintained numbers where you work. There's a tiny sliver of the pie they have to by law give to minorities. The fact they're forced to do it should tell you something.

I was a bit miffed at affirmative action (I'm not white) until I learned about institutional racism or whatever you call the bias that is worked into the "system".

And this isn't just a white person thing. Non-white people do the exact same thing where they are in power in North America. From what I've heard (no hard evidence), non-whites do the exact same racial favouritism thing back in their home countries.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
It's not appropriate for me to comment on my place of work but, in general, there is racial favoritism in almost all places of business, overt or not.

Great I can't talk about my place but I'll tell you about the rest of the world:ninja:

I have not seen it in my field but there is a buddy system thing going on in a lot of places. I can say were I'm at now it is not like that and it's the best job I have had in a long time:biggrin:

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
With my current employer our hiring and promotions pretty well reflect our community. One thing I noticed working with engineering forms is that lots of women engineers get hired but tend to get diverted off the management track and into support roles (GIS, database management, specialized analysis), roles that don't lead to upper management careers.

might be a broad generalization, but at least in software , i havent seen very many women engineers.

but the ones i've had to work with, tend to have been very very bad at their job. to the point where eventaully they did get diverted to those type of support roles so they wouldn't break stuff.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Yes, but the last place were a bunch of cunts anyway. They were overt cronies. It was a bitter and unhappy place that I no longer have to go to. Thank fucking god.

Can't stand cliquey-ness or cronyism. Disgusting, wretched shit.

Edit: whoops. not favoritism. discrimination....

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I've never seen any. White people get the good jobs, minorities get the crappy jobs...that's the natural order of things.

Black may be beautiful
Tan may be grand
But white is the color of the big boss man.

:p

How come I'm not the big boss then? I'm as white as the next motherfucker dammit! :D

FTR-My boss is from Egypt and he's a Muslim. His boss is Chinese.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
one example is my ex roomate.

he's a qa manager at the place i currently work at (he referred me to a job in development).

anyway, they made him a manager about half a year after i started. so he had to hire new people. so he hired all cantonese chinese people. they talk in cantonese in front of everyone else sometimes when none of us have anidea what they are saying, and i've had more than 1 coworker comment it is totally rude and terrible. and his org as a whole hired more than a few people from his previous workplace on top of that.

now my ex roomate is more or less an idiot. i have no idea how he got this far honestly, but i pulled him aside once and i was like... man stop hiring so many chinese people and former coworkers, it looks bad unless those people are exceptional and as a developer i will tell you your new qa people are terrible.

anyway he was like "wait whats wrong with that, they were the best people?". anyway i highly doubt that, but i think he actually believes this. some of the qa people he hired, the dev team cant even understand their english (they are americans IN america who speak such poor english, they are worse than our overseas qa people at speaking english!).

maybe this happens elsewhere, they aren't even consciously favoring one race, and it still happens.