does it seem like asian girls have american names that are about a generation behind?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
hmm let's see

asian girls... Maggie , Vivan, Mia, Cindy, Maria, Sonia, Cassidy...
white girls... Rose, Maria, Grace, Jennifer, Cindy, Anne, Amy...
black girls... Toni, Mary, Fallon, Shelia...
hispanic girls... Chirstina, Kara, Angel

eh.. i don't see it.. this age group is 17-22

*edit* anyone remember that site to see how many people in USA has your name???

TekDemon

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Great post where you wrote two paragraphs and never said your name!:confused:

I edited it to 4 paragraphs and still never said my name! =p I don't usually post my name on the internet though...just one of those things, no offense or anything.

TekDemon

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Sid59
or .. call them by their last name ... like they do in Asia and Japan. though, i do'nt think that would be popular with the ladies.

??? That's not really how it's done in China...that would be really confusing since some last names are awful popular(think Chan or Lee)...
You might be referring to the practice of saying the family name first but most definitely nobody in China would call people by just their last names since that would be pretty impractical.

So instead of saying Ziyi Zhang, you say Zhang Ziyi like they usually do =p
(on a side note: mmm....)

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: TekDemon
Originally posted by: Sid59
or .. call them by their last name ... like they do in Asia and Japan. though, i do'nt think that would be popular with the ladies.

??? That's not really how it's done in China...that would be really confusing since some last names are awful popular(think Chan or Lee)...
You might be referring to the practice of saying the family name first but most definitely nobody in China would call people by just their last names since that would be pretty impractical.

So instead of saying Ziyi Zhang, you say Zhang Ziyi like they usually do =p
(on a side note: mmm....)

yeah you're right.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Is it just me or do a lot of American-Asian girls seem to be named Janet or Kim?

I know Asian girls named Kimmy and Janice. There were two Kimmy Nguyens at my HS.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
My friends' names (well, the "American" names) are Susan, Cindy, Kim, Kathy, Shari...the list continues, but they're mostly "new" names...I've known a Rose as well. Oh yeah, a bunch of Jen/Gens in there.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Susan I sometimes hear, but the others no I don't in girls my age. For them it's charish, blowanda, choclair, and other stupid sh*t.

In fact if I'm ever hiring somebody and their parents gave them a made up name I'll simply not consider them. I don't care how good they are. That's my stand.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: dolph
i know asian girls around my age (24) named vivian, rose, susan, alice, carol, annette, lorraine... but never met a white girl with one of those names who was under 40. has it just been my experience, or do other people notice it too?
IMO those names are better than all the Brittney, Heather and the like names that most of the current genenration of women seem to have!

agreed, and i'm from the current generation.