does it seem like asian girls have american names that are about a generation behind?

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
i know asian girls around my age (24) named vivian, rose, susan, alice, carol, annette, lorraine... but never met a white girl with one of those names who was under 40. has it just been my experience, or do other people notice it too?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dolph
i know asian girls around my age (24) named vivian, rose, susan, alice, carol, annette, lorraine... but never met a white girl with one of those names who was under 40. has it just been my experience, or do other people notice it too?
IMO those names are better than all the Brittney, Heather and the like names that most of the current genenration of women seem to have!

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
no kiddin. In about 10 years if you say "Hi Emily" half the young white women in hearing distance are going to turn to see why you said their name.

JohnnyAnnalog

Dec 6, 2003
I have met girls that are under 30:

Caucasian - Vivian, Rose, Susan, Alice, Carol, Annette & Loraine.

Asian - Vivian, Susan & Carol.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
so what names do u consider to be of this generation? i guess u r waiting for an asian mariah, beyonce, or avril?

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
When I was a kid I used to think black people put syllables on dice and rolled them to get their kid's names. My mom wasn't so happy when I asked her if that's how they did it...

Anyways, when I told my friends in high school about that one day we got bored in class and put syllables on dice like niq and tam and would roll them and generate random names...I've got a whole 3 pages on a notebook full of black people names...good times good times

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
IMO those names are better than all the Brittney, Heather and the like names that most of the current genenration of women seem to have!

Thats just because you know you couldn't get any from anybody named Britney or Heather or Kaitlyn. :D

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
i know the asian girls i've dated have definitely had names a generation behind. like those of 70 year old ladies.

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
I noticed this too, and my friend explained it to me - back in the homeland, the only western influence to be exported there during the time when these curiosly-named childrens' parent were growing up, was Hollywood. As such, familiarity with western culture, with respect to names, was confined to the Esthers, Graces, and Annettes of that era. When it came time to name their kids, they used what they knew.

TekDemon

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2001
Well, you could get around this by just keeping a real asian name. I for one have no European descended name, and I'm sure there's some AA females out there who also don't have Eurodescended names...I mean, if you're not really descended from Europeans it's kinda silly to go and change your name to one in my opinion. The "American" versions of those european names have been tweaked to be spelled differently over time themselves, so why not just spell an Asian descended name with an Americanized spelling? Makes a lot more sense versus naming your daughter Catherine after some ancient European royal lady or something(please note that I haven't actually traced where Catherine comes from but I'm thinking of Catherine the Great).

When I was younger I disliked being teased for having an asian name that nobody could pronounce(at the time people were still jackasses apparently), but as time has passed not only have people learned to pronounce my name very quickly(teachers often got it on the first try, particularly college professors are very adept at this), but suddenly it was awesome to have a unique name, and not be one of 100 people named John on campus. Instead of people referring to me as Laura2(I only say Laura2 because my friends actually refer to a girl as Laura2 to avoid confusing her with Laura1 lol), they can just say my name. Incidentally Laura1 is asian fwiw(although I believe she might have been adopted by white people so the naming thing might not be valid here).

At any rate, I think people should be proud of their past and their names should reflect that instead of being some weird attempt to fit in by grabbing "western" names with no real significance to them. No offense to any Asian people with Eurodescended names, but that's just how I feel. I think most of the people who stuck with a non-Euro descended name are probably prouder of their past and their family history in Asia. Plus it has long been written what my name should be like, and it would be a terrible break to tradition to forget. Most of my cousins in the US have Americanized names though, but on the upside they do have Chinese names too, so at least an attempt is made not to forget what name your ancestors would have wanted.

On a side note, if you think it's some weird spiritual thing about what your ancestors would have wanted, it's not lol. There's actually a naming system for many Chinese families where each generation is supposed to have names laid out in a specific way. I think the way also manages by family as to what exactly has been predetermined, but there's obviously flexibility so that not everybody in the family has the same name. Too complicated to explain quickly without explaining how the chinese language first so I'm just gonna leave it at that =p So yes my name was partially determined thousands of years ago by my ancestors.

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
Right on, TekDemon. I agree, and had the same experience. I think that using a "Western" name is in some way negating my cultural heritage.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: TekDemon
Well, you could get around this by just keeping a real asian name. I for one have no European descended name, and I'm sure there's some AA females out there who also don't have Eurodescended names...I mean, if you're not really descended from Europeans it's kinda silly to go and change your name to one in my opinion. The "American" versions of those european names have been tweaked to be spelled differently over time themselves, so why not just spell an Asian descended name with an Americanized spelling? Makes a lot more sense versus naming your daughter Catherine after some ancient European royal lady or something(please note that I haven't actually traced where Catherine comes from but I'm thinking of Catherine the Great).

When I was younger I disliked being teased for having an asian name that nobody could pronounce(at the time people were still jackasses apparently), but as time has passed not only have people learned to pronounce my name very quickly(teachers often got it on the first try, particularly college professors are very adept at this), but suddenly it was awesome to have a unique name, and not be one of 100 people named John on campus. Instead of people referring to me as Laura2(I only say Laura2 because my friends actually refer to a girl as Laura2 to avoid confusing her with Laura1 lol), they can just say my name. Incidentally Laura1 is asian fwiw(although I believe she might have been adopted by white people so the naming thing might not be valid here).

Great post where you wrote two paragraphs and never said your name!:confused:

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Is it just me or do a lot of American-Asian girls seem to be named Janet or Kim?

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
or .. call them by their last name ... like they do in Asia and Japan. though, i do'nt think that would be popular with the ladies.