does it look bad to colleges if you fail the AP tesT?

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
You can't fail it unless you don't write your name on the paper.

Seriously, if you get anything less than a 3, you probably didn't know crap about your subject. It's MORE than worth the $70 per test. I got out of some serious credits by taking like 5 tests.

What subject are you talking about?

-silver

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: 5489
is it better to not take the test, than to fail it?

It doesn't matter. I know when I was applying to universities they just looked at GPA and SAT scores. AP classes can only help you get credit.....

Hell I had already registered for some classes in college by the time I got my final year's AP scores. It did cause me to have to change my schedule.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
You can't fail it. There's no "passing" score. You're graded on a 1 to 5 rubric. Some schools will give credit for a 3, some want a 4. And it's better to take it.

ZV

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: agnitrate

Seriously, if you get anything less than a 3, you probably didn't know crap about your subject. It's MORE than worth the $70 per test. I got out of some serious credits by taking like 5 tests.

-silver

I know quite a few people that failed(made less than a 3) the AP History exam......

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Codewiz

-silver

I know quite a few people that failed the AP History exam.......

yup, that's the one im afraid of. would it be better not to take it than to fail it?

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Codewiz

-silver

I know quite a few people that failed the AP History exam.......

Really? Most schools give credit for a 3. *shrug* Maybe the exam was just tougher.

-silver

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
at my school, there's a fee waiver pulling the cost down from $80 to $8--regardless of financial situation, they just make it seem like you need to be "poor" to qualify for it

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
3 is considered a passing score and you should take it anyway, even if you fail it. It shows that you followed through on your plans at the very least. In my case, I took 8, got 40 units out of it. Sometimes, you get a set amount of units so long as you passed. In other situations, the higher you scored the more units you go. For example, I got a 4 on AP Calc AB. I got 4 units. If I had gotten a 5, I would have gotten 8 units. For physics C I got a 3 but the university only awarded 4 units for scores of at least 4. It just depends on the university.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

-silver

thats not true. i had teh hioghest grade in my AP US history class a 98 and got teh second lowest grade on teh Ap i got a 2. thoes tests dont illistrate anything about how moch you know. justy like teh SAT. they show how well you do at takeing standardized tests

and the other person who got a 2 had a 90 average. the person that got the hignest grade. a 4 had a 68 in the class. and was barley passing. the tests dont mean sh!t

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: DanFungus
at my school, there's a fee waiver pulling the cost down from $80 to $8--regardless of financial situation, they just make it seem like you need to be "poor" to qualify for it

Yeah my CRAPPY Southern high school paid for EVERYONE's AP exams. It was wonderful. My school offered every AP class and paid the exam fee for everyone that took the AP exams.

And people want to bitch and moan about how bad the education system is in the south. Of course our average scores end up lower because we do this but at least everyone can take it if they want.

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: TheEvil1

thats not true. i had teh hioghest grade in my AP US history class a 98 and got teh second lowest grade on teh Ap i got a 2. thoes tests dont illistrate anything about how moch you know. justy like teh SAT. they show how well you do at takeing standardized tests

I don't consider the AP tests to be 'standardized'. There's very specific information on them. You either know it or you don't. The hard part about history is the fact that there's so much to cover in such a small number of questions. I wouldn't consider a 2 in history to be failing. Maybe you just didn't concentrate on the right topics to study for. It's extremelly hard to call.

History aside, it's practically impossible to get a 2.

-silver

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Since the scores are typically reported after you have gotten into college it wouldn't have any affect on your admission. The college only looks to see if you get a score were you can bypass some of the classes and get credit for them. My college required a 4 on any of the tests to get credit. If you didn't get a 4 then you just took the class in college, no big deal.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

I don't consider the AP tests to be 'standardized'. There's very specific information on them. You either know it or you don't. The hard part about history is the fact that there's so much to cover in such a small number of questions. I wouldn't consider a 2 in history to be failing. Maybe you just didn't concentrate on the right topics to study for. It's extremelly hard to call.

History aside, it's practically impossible to get a 2.

-silver

I agree. AP tests for me were FAR easier then SATs.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Ok so lets say i get into a few colleges and i told them i was gonna take ap tests too, and basicly colleges say keep a c average, what if i get all 1's on my ap tests? do they care?

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Originally posted by: chiwawa626
Ok so lets say i get into a few colleges and i told them i was gonna take ap tests too, and basicly colleges say keep a c average, what if i get all 1's on my ap tests? do they care?

Your AP scores are not included in your college GPA. If you get a 5 on an AP test the college just gives you the credit hours for the equivalent class offered at the college. It will free up one spot on your schedule for you to take an easy class and ace it raising your GPA which is a good thing.

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: 5489
is it better to not take the test, than to fail it?

Oh to have to worry about such small things again...;)

AFAIK, what matters is your 1)Essay 2)SAT score 3) GPA.

floccus

Mar 3, 2003
I took 5 Aps, got two 4s, two 5s, and a 2. I was able to be half a year ahead which allows me to get better classes b/c i have a higher status. But I would suggest taking the class anyway cause even if you can't get credit you at least have a better knowledge base than before for when you get to college, and believe me, you'll love that fact.

etalns

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2001

-silver

and the other person who got a 2 had a 90 average. the person that got the hignest grade. a 4 had a 68 in the class. and was barley passing. the tests dont mean sh!t

Oh me godd, lik I had da sam pwoblem. Geez, Les ReVolt.

I pray to god your post was a joke.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
WTF are you reporting your AP scores on your college app for? hell, i didn't even take most of the AP tests until i was accepted for college.

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
WTF are you reporting your AP scores on your college app for? hell, i didn't even take most of the AP tests until i was accepted for college.

i reported my junior year scores when i applied this past fall. heck - the UC app even has a dedicated spot for your ap scores.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
It probably looks bad if you fail.... then again, I'm sure there's some way you don't have to report the scores that are lower than a 3...

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I got a 2 on US history. I got a 4 on Statistics and I only went to the class once or twice a week. That was about 5 years ago.