Does anyone have a AAA membership and use it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Around 20 years ago I had two cars and a AAA membership. I had both cars inspected by them and got detailed reports. They charged for that but it was a members only thing, IIRC. I don't know if they have that nowadays. I asked a mechanic a couple months ago and he was unaware if they still do that. I figure that service was likely better than most because they had no skin in the game because they aren't in the business of repairing vehicles.

Dec 10, 2005
I just pay for the roadside coverage through my auto policy (Geico). Cheaper than AAA and provides roughly equivalent coverage. Used it once a few years ago when I got a flat and couldn't get the lug nuts off because they were rounded. Guy that came out had some extra tools to get the bad tire off the car.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Also when I got hit on the highway in 2019 I had Geico and they were real dickheads about taking my car to their "special" bodyshop. (didn't happen)

Hate to think what WOULD have happened if it was picked up by Geico's "special" towing service as well!
As much as I complain about CA, I am glad the law grants us the freedom to choose any repair shop.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
AAA will tow off-road?

I recall when I took my Subaru on the sand in Cape Cod there were signs all over warning that CASH was required to get towed out and the "motor club" would not cover it.

No. They won't tow off road. You have to limp it to pavement, before they'll pick you up.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Road service, jump start, tow, etc., are part of my car insurance (Nationwide), at no extra cost. Not paying for it again.

Reactions: BudAshes

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Much thinner/lighter with no excess metal to shave away like the older cars.... sometimes you can still get away with it but it's not recommended.

The only real upside to this is it does save some un-sprung weight.

None of this is defending your sketchy mechanic for doing work on your car without your prior authorization though. I'd be livid.
Now I have to ask what 'unsprung weight' means - sorry and thank you for the info. That probably explains why they were a little sheepish when they came out to tell me. Shrug. Now I have to decide what I want to do. The only other garage I might trust (to use the word loosely) is the dealer but I know for certain they'll rape me.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i usually gotten it only because it has saved my butt 2 times over the years

one time was a short tow, but the other times were a 50 mile tow and a nearly 100 mile tow

plus i've always used the AAA card at hotels to get like %10 off

i dunno if i've come out ahead, but the peace of mind is worth at least some of the price imho

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Now I have to ask what 'unsprung weight' means - sorry and thank you for the info. That probably explains why they were a little sheepish when they came out to tell me. Shrug. Now I have to decide what I want to do. The only other garage I might trust (to use the word loosely) is the dealer but I know for certain they'll rape me.

All "unsprung-weight" means is weight on the vehicle that's not carried/managed by the suspension system. (ie: wheels, tires, brake-assemblies etc)

Unsprung Weight VS Sprung Weight – Why Heavy Wheels are Bad News (eeuroparts.com)

Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Reactions: Captante