Does anyone have a AAA membership and use it?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I have a AAA membership but I haven't ever used it aside from getting some modest discounts on a hotel once. I also had my car towed for free once when it broke down. Anyone else actively use their membership for benefits?

Jun 18, 2000
I have one too but have only used it for emergencies. Last time was locking my keys in the car a few years ago. Mostly a waste of money.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Yes I do recall one time about 10 years ago locking myself out of my car and calling them and they came and got the keys out. So I guess I've gotten some slight hotel discounts, one tow, and one keys locked in car fix over a decade.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
The point of it is like insurance. Towing is expensive!

Oh, and the DMV services in CA are great too.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If you get in an accident or break down and have to get towed any significant distance ONCE it will cover the cost for MANY years of AAA. (I drive into NYC fairly often so this coverage is critical)

My car has a 5-speed manual and is light enough to push by myself for a "bump" on a flat road surface so I don't worry a whole lot about needing jump starts.

However when my battery stopped holding a charge over last winter I had them come install a new battery @ my home. Fair price & it was effortless.

Reactions: Charmonium

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I used to. One thing I used them for was free maps of all kinds. Today, with cell phones and the internet and free GPS, that wouldn't be as helpful, but if I were planning a driving vacation (or maybe any vacation, at least around here), I might (if a member) go into their offices and grab free maps (I assume they still have them). I have been thinking of joining because my car is 25 years old now (though only ~34k on it!).

I did lock my keys in the car a few months ago but I was home and had a spare key in the house. :)

I also have jumper cables in the trunk.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Paper maps have the major advantage of not requiring ANY kind of "reception" to be accurate PLUS the batteries never die!

It's crazy the number of people walking around out there who are incapable of even using one to navigate.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
However when my battery stopped holding a charge over last winter I had them come install a new battery @ my home. Fair price & it was effortless.
Their battery replacement service is fairly reasonable. But funny story. Within the last decade I recall a co-worker's Prius battery went flat and AAA doesn't service those? I mean we're in SoCal...they are everywhere!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Their battery replacement service is fairly reasonable. But funny story. Within the last decade I recall a co-worker's Prius battery went flat and AAA doesn't service those? I mean we're in SoCal...they are everywhere!

I suspect replacing a hybrid-cars battery might be just a TAD more complex?

Reactions: Muse

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
No, but I do have roadside coverage through my auto insurance, it's quite cheap to add on (looks like I'm paying $8 every 6 months), and I've used it in the past.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I suspect replacing a hybrid-cars battery might be just a TAD more complex?
They also have a 12V battery, and places that will do a standard 12V battery in a gas car often have an exclusion where they don't touch a Prius 12V battery.
Autozone also won't "officially" replace a 12V battery in a first-gen Miata because it's "difficult" or whatever, but when I had them do mine (needed a new battery the day I picked it up), the guy said he'd do it as long as I also bought the dielectric grease and felt pads there.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
My mother in law gets it every year. Then for some small fee she adds her kids (including my wife). We don't use it much. Maybe once every 3 years we have a car issue (dead battery or flat tire). I once had a flat tire on the interstate on a hill and my car rolled off my jack causing the jack to break. AAA came in handy there. Even though I wasn't a member, my wife called in my car and AAA handled it. I also use it for discount airport parking and discount hotel rooms if no other method is cheaper. But, it probably isn't worth the fee if I had to pay for it myself.

Remember AAA covers you, not your car. So, my wife has used it when her friends were driving and their cards broke down.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Remember AAA covers you, not your car. So, my wife has used it when her friends were driving and their cards broke down.

Their "extended range" towing has saved me MANY hundreds of dollars and serious inconvenience several times including when I was passenger in a friends car.

I've also used "Better World Club" for their "bicycle" plan.... I don't take super-long rides anymore though and AAA is cheaper for just car.

Better World Club

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
I own a Jeep, so yes. I use it. The extended range towing is especially useful when you break down on the trail & have to get it towed home.

To be fair, I also used it with my Prius.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I own a Jeep, so yes. I use it. The extended range towing is especially useful when you break down on the trail & have to get it towed home.

To be fair, I also used it with my Prius.

AAA will tow off-road?

I recall when I took my Subaru on the sand in Cape Cod there were signs all over warning that CASH was required to get towed out and the "motor club" would not cover it.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
OK gather round chil'n, it be story time [peanut gallery goes wild]

I'm curious if anyone has specifically used any of their affiliated mechanics/garages.

There's this one shop near me that I've gone to since I had my 1987 Honda CRX (to jog your memory, it was a bit underpowered 2 seat coupe). Really good guy ran it. He could be a little abrasive but he was a straight arrow when it came to prices. Well, a couple of years ago he moved to . . . I wanna say Kentucky . . . anyway, the people that took it over are bandits. Last time I went in for a check up, they just replaced my rotors without telling and gave some seriously bullsh** reason for they couldn't be resurfaced. I eventually called them on that and their response was 'we don't do that' and it's bad for the car anyway. Oh sweet Haysus, do you reallly think I'm that stupid - apparently so.

So now, with my a/c out, I need to find another place where I trust that that the very least, they're not going to bend me over the counter while they rape my wallet. Unfortunately, only a handful have any sort of rating.

I know that I can't really extrapolate from the experience of others with AAA approved places, but it might help me get some sort of insight.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Rotors are not commonly "resurfaced" on most passenger vehicles anymore and further the newer rotors themselves are not designed for it.

Not sure if that applies to a 1987 Honda though.... I used to resurface the front discs/rotors on my '86 Toyota pickup at least once and sometimes twice before replacing them.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Rotors are not commonly "resurfaced" on most passenger vehicles anymore and further the newer rotors themselves are not designed for it.

Not sure if that applies to a 1987 Honda though.... I used to resurface the front discs/rotors on my '86 Toyota pickup at least once and sometimes twice before replacing them.
Sorry, the current vehicle is a 2008 Civic Si.

Can you pls explain what you mean by 'not designed for it?' I can understand if rotors now use say, certain alloys that don't respond well to being abraded. But then a) they should know that and b) just f'ing tell me that.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Sorry, the current vehicle is a 2008 Civic Si.

Can you pls explain what you mean by 'not designed for it?' I can understand if rotors now use say, certain alloys that don't respond well to being abraded. But then a) they should know that and b) just f'ing tell me that.

Much thinner/lighter with no excess metal to shave away like the older cars.... sometimes you can still get away with it but it's not recommended.

The only real upside to this is it does save some un-sprung weight.

None of this is defending your sketchy mechanic for doing work on your car without your prior authorization though. I'd be livid.

Reactions: Charmonium

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Yes, dozens of times over the past 25+ years. Mostly flat fixes and dead batteries. Kept it for the Mrs., but I’ve used it more often, as I’ve had long commutes.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Used to have it, until I actually needed it and got left on the side of the road for 3 hours in 100 degree day on i5 because none of their contracted tow truck drivers felt like coming to help us. Kept telling us oh yeah they are on their way. Ended up finally finding a private tow company and AAA told us to fuck off when we complained.

Insurance providers offer roadside service now. I'd stick with that.

Reactions: Muse

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Used to have it, until I actually needed it and got left on the side of the road for 3 hours in 100 degree day on i5 because none of their contracted tow truck drivers felt like coming to help us. Kept telling us oh yeah they are on their way. Ended up finally finding a private tow company and AAA told us to fuck off when we complained.

Insurance providers offer roadside service now. I'd stick with that.

I've had decent luck with both in the past although through your insurance tends to cost a bit less.

One thing to keep in mind though.... when I used the service I had through Geico it showed as a claim on my car insurance. (that's why I have AAA again)

Also when I got hit on the highway in 2019 I had Geico and they were real dickheads about taking my car to their "special" bodyshop. (didn't happen)

Hate to think what WOULD have happened if it was picked up by Geico's "special" towing service as well!

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I've had decent luck with both although through your insurance tends to cost a bit less.

One thing to keep in mind though.... when I used the service I had through Geico it showed as a claim on my car insurance. (that's why I have AAA again)

According to USAA excessive emergencies could raise rates but occasional use will not. Now as to what that means exactly I do not know. Honestly got rid of my ford and got Japanese cars and never been stranded since.