Does anyone else hate the USB 3.0 header port on motherboards?

Pinecallado

Dec 23, 2012
I'm talking about this port:

BqXJYkp.jpg

This port always seems so easy to break. Yesterday I accidentally pulled off the plastic blue protector that covers the pins when I tried to pull the 3.0 connector wire out of the port. When I tried the put the plastic cover back in the port I bent one of the pins which then broke off when I tried to straighten it with a screwdriver.

Why couldn't the people who designed USB 3.0 make it as easy to plug in as USB 2.0? :( At least I found a USB 3.0 to 2.0 port converter so 2/4 ports on my case wouldn't collect dust. It's also good the only USB 3.0 device I own right now is my ext hard drive. Does anyone know any PCI devices that would add another USB 3.0 header on my motherboard?

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I also hate this port. I managed to bend one of the pins inwards, got it bent back again eventually but was a pita. I dont remember the old PATA ports being this much of a pain, I think their pins were thicker though.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
My workstation motherboard isn't new enough to have usb 3 headers so I don't have to worry about it. :)

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
How often are you guys unplugging and plugging in that header? I mean it only plugs in one way.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
I find the header cables are too thick/stiff for the port. I could bend/shape/flex a USB 2 header cable however I needed to, but there hasn't been much malleability in the USB 3 header cables in the 4 cases with them I've had.

Combine that with the reduced pin lengths in the port and I always have a bad time routing the header cable.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Not me. It was pretty straight forward. Maybe it's because I have a workstation mobo and the ports are top notch. :confused:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

BqXJYkp.jpg

This port always seems so easy to break. Yesterday I accidentally pulled off the plastic blue protector that covers the pins when I tried to pull the 3.0 connector wire out of the port. When I tried the put the plastic cover back in the port I bent one of the pins which then broke off when I tried to straighten it with a screwdriver.

Why couldn't the people who designed USB 3.0 make it as easy to plug in as USB 2.0? :( At least I found a USB 3.0 to 2.0 port converter so 2/4 ports on my case wouldn't collect dust. It's also good the only USB 3.0 device I own right now is my ext hard drive. Does anyone know any PCI devices that would add another USB 3.0 header on my motherboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...oToo_USB_3.0_PCI-E-_-17Z-0002-00002-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...verstone_USB_3.0_PCI-E-_-15-256-004-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...verstone_USB_3.0_PCI-E-_-15-256-006-_-Product

There have been all sorts of unhappy discoveries to make about the central 19/20-pin USB3 mobo port. Some of the early USB3 front-panel hubs weren't made for connection to the plug, and were a clumsy kloodge requiring a USB 3 A-B cable snaking out the rear of the computer to plug into a USB3 port at the I/O plate. The most successful option had been similar to that bundled with only certain models of motherboards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PG2116422

DIY computer-building has its hazards. You CAN break things. But what sort of hobbyist accomplishment would there be, if there weren't challenges and risks? The trick with these stiff cable connections: You need to orient and secure the cable so that the plug sits as straight and perpendicular as possible to the plane of the motherboard. At least, with the add-in PCI-E card, it is less of a problem. You likely need an x1 PCI-E slot -- otherwise an x16 providing x4. I think the last-linked PCI_E card has two 19-pin ports, and needs two PCI-E lanes or x2 -- which means you'd use the x16/x4 slot or be damned.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I do hate the USB 3.0 stiff ass cables.

I think the shielding for those cables is more substantial than necessary for the old USB2 9/10-pin variety.

If you broke the 19-pin mobo port, and you buy the PCI_E card, make sure to disable the USB3 controller in BIOS. No need to provide resources for something that isn't working for you anyway.

Last edited:

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
Yup. Terrible design. It's nearly impossible to use the port and keep the cables looking tidy. It sticks up 3-5", hard plastic, hard to bend, then the tension alone makes it fall out. First pin I ever bent since 1989.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Ah God. If only the port was laying flat instead of vertically. On the Phanteks Evolv, it's bit of a pain with the cable coming from near the bottom, in front of the motherboard header.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004

BqXJYkp.jpg

one of the plastic sata connectors came off on my MB. The locking sata connector somehow was stuck and when I pulled up came the plastic part. I might glue it back into place.

Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, I don't think this is a connector design problem as much as it is a cheap plastic problem. Flexible cables and sturdy connectors are common enough, but only if you're willing to pay for it.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Does anyone else hate the USB 3.0 header port on motherboards?
no, they are designed to make a connection when the system is built, then left alone.
most people don't crack open their case and move things around once it's put into service.

Last edited:

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
Cables are too stiff.

FYI, the company that manufactures the leaf springs for Corvettes also make the cables for this port.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The onboard plug is useful for one of two things: adding two ports on the bundled PCI plate to the rear of the box; and cabling a two-port 3.5" front-panel adapter, or a 3.5" front-panel hub.

I was all goo-gah to get a 4-port hub from the git-go back in '11. If you go that route, you want to get a hub that comes with the 19-pin cable for direct mobo connection.

Since then, I came to my senses: I'd only ever need two f_p_ ports. So I pick the Connectland or similar product for ~$15 to $17.

It should be less of a problem for the bundled PCI-USB3 ports. But I can see how some folks . . . just . . . freakin' . . . hate it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would not say I HATE it but the stiffness of those cables vs the strength of the port has always made me kinda nervous, I avoid doing much routing with those. The location of it is often really terrible too. Then again the location of some sata ports can be bad too, especially where they decide to make it right angle. It's near impossible trying to plug something in once the mobo is installed. I guess from a PCB design standpoint they don't always have control over where a port has to be.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I would not say I HATE it but the stiffness of those cables vs the strength of the port has always made me kinda nervous, I avoid doing much routing with those. The location of it is often really terrible too. Then again the location of some sata ports can be bad too, especially where they decide to make it right angle. It's near impossible trying to plug something in once the mobo is installed. I guess from a PCB design standpoint they don't always have control over where a port has to be.

Well, I explained my early problems with it: "Not enough resources for this device" when using single USB A-B cable connected to the cable-part of the bundled PCI port -- leaving the second one unused. I've since cabled a good 4-port hub on one system and the Connectland 2-port on a second and third. Haven't had a problem with the USB2 devices I have.

I think i'll finally order some USB3 thumb drives. I was just hoping to find a good single one that had 128GB.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
It sort of reminds me of the old floppy drive connector and I plugged my cable on and left it alone.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Note that USB add-on cards are generally not bootable. Features to look for include: both internal and external ports, solid capacitors, SATA power, and probably Renesas chipset of the latest low-power model with flashable firmware. Such cards are less than $15 shipped on eBay.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Those big fat headers and big fat cables are not easy to route either. Then they mix up the motherboard with USB2 + USB3 and then you have to connect both. What a pain. The need for speed.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Note that USB add-on cards are generally not bootable. Features to look for include: both internal and external ports, solid capacitors, SATA power, and probably Renesas chipset of the latest low-power model with flashable firmware. Such cards are less than $15 shipped on eBay.

How often do you need real speed when booting from a USB device (2.0 or 3.0)?

There are more than a handful of ways to use a flashdrive, but why would you want or need to have a bootable USB external HDD, even at USB 3.0 speed? You'd have also the ability to use eSATA drives -- which would you prefer? Because the eSATA drives cabled properly to the motherboard II or III ports should still allow you to boot from the external disk, but I'd think booting from such a drive would be a purely temporary practice. You could even save images of your boot disk to such a drive, and you would be able to resurrect them -- regardless USB3 or SATA interface.

But that's the reason for choosing the onboard USB3 controller first, for cabling to your case-front USB3 ports. What we're talking about in this thread is the clunky hardware weaknesses. Maybe mobo makers will at least strengthen the existing latch design for those 19-pin plugs. They could add even more if they redesigned the plug for a stronger latch and stiffer, taller port walls or retainers.

It would be even more thoughtful to extend the design in different degrees of expense or elaboration across the "model lines" of motherboards, so that the lowest tier is "Adequate to Good."

Last edited: