Does anyone care about the Pixel 3?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm currently using a Nexus 6p and was hoping that the new Pixel 3 could replace it. I'm not happy about the notch if they make it cut into the screen vs using the space for notifications. But, so far from the leaks it looks meh in terms of hardware.

Anyone in the same boat?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I honestly would be more interested in the OPPO phones than google's offerings at this point. Google seems to be barely keeping up with the market hardware wise, yet their prices have been going up.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Nope. Had a pixel 2 for a couple of weeks before I sold it on the forums here. Pure android/Pixel = most boring-ass phone.

Reactions: Raduque

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Pure android/Pixel = most boring-ass phone.

It really is. I had a Nexus 6P and even though I had up to date Android, vanilla android is just not what I'm looking for. And it still wasn't easy to get what I want, because rooting usually meant that android pay wouldn't work, which I wanted to use.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It really is. I had a Nexus 6P and even though I had up to date Android, vanilla android is just not what I'm looking for. And it still wasn't easy to get what I want, because rooting usually meant that android pay wouldn't work, which I wanted to use.

What was it missing that you wanted? What did you end up getting?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
For me it was a good understandable email client for Exchange. Using Gmail for corporate email was horrible and using Outlook was nearly as bad. I personally love the built-in email client on Samsungs flagship phones. And even tho the cameras were good the SW was boring and bland.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

I wound up going back to Samsung when the S8 came out. After hearing how much faster a pure android device would be compared to the "bloated" samsung phones, plus would have better battery life, I jumped on the 6P after having several Samsung phones. Turns out what some people consider "bloat", I consider incredibly useful features that were embarrassingly absent in Android. It also ended up getting worse battery life than the Note 4 that it replaced. The biggest missing feature was Samsung's one handed mode which shrinks the screen down to be in the lower corner of the screen to make it easier to hit the buttons on the top left of the screen. Very useful for large phones, and there wasn't an equivalent on vanilla Android at the time (not sure if there is yet TBH)

Since I've moved back to the S8, I also found out that Samsung pay is a lot better than Android pay. In fact, I prefer most of Samsung's features and UI tweaks compared to vanilla android. There was a time that the touchwiz interface looked childish and was fairly clunky, but starting with the s4 generation it got a lot better.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I don't care about anything with a notch. Laziest, worst tech design, IMO. I hope it'll be looked back on in history as awful and "Really? People went for that?"

The big honking one on the P3XL is just ridiculous. Combined with the misbalanced bottom bezel, it's just like... WHY?! There was no reason for it even. You just WANT to be Apple.

If it had the more practical look of the smaller sized Pixel it wouldn't be half bad.

It makes me wonder if Google will purposefully bork the menubar function on the smaller pixel to keep people from noticing how the dumb notch borks its full usefulness on the 'XL' model. Just seems like something they'd do.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I don't care about anything with a notch. Laziest, worst tech design, IMO.

Even this one?
OnePlus-6T-front-view.png

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
If it has no MicroSD slot then it must have 256GB before I would purchase it. Also, no Headphone jack is a red flag and so is having a notch.

So for the above post... I would "never settle" for that phone. :p

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Even this one?
OnePlus-6T-front-view.png
Looks like a mistake or an accident. Like the phone was dropped and a little chunk of the screen somehow cracked off.

It;s just such a dreadful work around, inventing a new problem to something that wasn't even a problem before. Getting rid of big honking side bezels, is a good thing.

No one was clammoring to get rid of the USEFUL bezels at the top and bottom that actually serve a function. They don't need to be ginormous to accomodate sensors, mics, speakers etc, just what's needed like on Samsung devices.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I have a Pixel 2, I can't imagine that the Pixel 3 would offer something that would make upgrading worthwhile but I will most definitely be checking it out because I am interested in this kind of stuff even if I don't plan to buy it.

-KeithP

Reactions: compman25

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have a Pixel 2, I can't imagine that the Pixel 3 would offer something that would make upgrading worthwhile but I will most definitely be checking it out because I am interested in this kind of stuff even if I don't plan to buy it.

-KeithP

I have a Nexus 6p and was looking up upgrade. I'm on fi and was hoping the Pixel 3 would offer more. Not looking good at the moment.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I am mildly interested in the smaller Pixel 3 because it won't have a notch, and I am always interested in their photography advancements. Plus there's the new Chromecast as well as the new Pixelbook, and who knows what else.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I find it funny that Google started asking YouTubers to give them small video loops of the reviewers talking crap about the 3xl. Like they are going to come out with some crazy surprise pixel 3 device.

If I weren't giving my 2xl to my brother since he's away at college most times and his phone is dying, I would keep my phone.

The regular pixel 3 looks very much like the 2xl just a bit smaller. I will say I've loved their camera technology so far.

At this point I'm more interested in the one plus 6T. In screen fingerprint reader and the smallest notch out of all the notch phones. 6 or 8gb ram and large storage capacity while the pixel phones this year are doing incremental updates like apple. The price is going to be similar to the regular 6 too.

The only thing I'm unsure about and that I'll miss is the camera on my 2xl and the on time updates. I'll stick it out till next week and see what google reveals but not at all excited.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
If it has no MicroSD slot then it must have 256GB before I would purchase it. Also, no Headphone jack is a red flag and so is having a notch.

So for the above post... I would "never settle" for that phone. :p

This. I do not understand why makers were so eager to eliminate these two features, esp. the jack. I have yet to see a pair of BT headphones that I could sleep with. My earbuds sit nicely in my skull while I snore away. My take is that the major players (Apple included) have pretty much run out of ideas that get us buying. My S7 Edge does more than I need, and it's rocking a 256GB SD card I got for free from Samsung. I went in and handled the S9 for a while and, well, meh.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Looks like a mistake or an accident. Like the phone was dropped and a little chunk of the screen somehow cracked off.

It;s just such a dreadful work around, inventing a new problem to something that wasn't even a problem before. Getting rid of big honking side bezels, is a good thing.

No one was clammoring to get rid of the USEFUL bezels at the top and bottom that actually serve a function. They don't need to be ginormous to accomodate sensors, mics, speakers etc, just what's needed like on Samsung devices.

I don't mind the teardrop as much, but I agree. The top and bottom bezels that Samsung has are as big as they need to be and still plenty small. I love how the S8/S9 looks and handles.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This. I do not understand why makers were so eager to eliminate these two features, esp. the jack. I have yet to see a pair of BT headphones that I could sleep with. My earbuds sit nicely in my skull while I snore away. My take is that the major players (Apple included) have pretty much run out of ideas that get us buying. My S7 Edge does more than I need, and it's rocking a 256GB SD card I got for free from Samsung. I went in and handled the S9 for a while and, well, meh.

Any port into the phone is something that can fail, and or let in dust or water. Its not hard to deal with, but, it does mean more things can fail.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Pretty sure you will be able to get the OP 6T in 128gb or 256. It does suck that they took out the headphone jack and didn't add the micro SD card. That is feedback OP owners have wanted. I'm already fine with no headphone jack as I have plenty of BT headphones and I have 2 dongles i got from Google when I had to rma my first 2Xl.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Pretty sure you will be able to get the OP 6T in 128gb or 256. It does suck that they took out the headphone jack and didn't add the micro SD card. That is feedback OP owners have wanted. I'm already fine with no headphone jack as I have plenty of BT headphones and I have 2 dongles i got from Google when I had to rma my first 2Xl.

SD card is something I really wish more people spoke out about and got back into phones.

I do remember though people complaining about how "slow" their pictures/movies took to load things like thumbnails because they bought the slowest SD card and thought it was the phone.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I'm pretty excited about the Pocophone F1. I am not gonna buy one, but I have a few friends and family interested in it.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Pretty meh showing today. As a Pixel 2 XL owner, I didn't see a lot of captivating features that my Pixel 2 XL was not also going to be getting. Higher prices ($50 more for the Pixel 3 XL), and while $800 service credit would be tempting, it requires adding a net new member to the group plan, so I'd have to kick her off, then add her back, wouldn't be able to trade-in her phone blah blah. Lot of song and dance to upgrade that I don't know if I'm really interested in.

EDIT: And no Pixel Buds (just USB-C buds). No strong value-add (no Daydream headset for instance or Home Mini, just a 6 month trial to YouTube Music).

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I ordered one and will probably return it after a week. Just want to see what it's like in person after a week of use and if I would get used to it. But I'm guessing not. Don't like how the notch is and I also love how during the presentation they hid the notch with a dark background lol.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I ordered one and will probably return it after a week. Just want to see what it's like in person after a week of use and if I would get used to it. But I'm guessing not. Don't like how the notch is and I also love how during the presentation they hid the notch with a dark background lol.
Kinda like apple did with their new phones. P3 is a joke IMO.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Kinda like apple did with their new phones. P3 is a joke IMO.
Didn't realize apple did that too. The only good thing about it would be the camera and instant Android 9 software. Plus they also increased the price. The 128gb black came to $1059 with tax. I may just cancel it later today after thinking more about it. But I need another phone as this one I'm using now is going to my brother.