Does anyone care about the Pixel 3?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Might get a regular Pixel 3 since my 2XL is cracked. Prices are ridiculous tho and it isn't very premium hardware. I can't give up that camera though. Also contemplating making the jump to iphone since I'm so frustrated by Android and want to move away from Google. But I think the usability would end up driving me nuts.

What do you find to be a problem in anroid?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I went looking at the V35 today and almost picked it up at Amazon for $699. I did see the LG V40 for $200 off (Verizon) with a free 256 memory card and some stupid gimbal camera so I ordered one of those for $80 more than the V35 and I'll trade an old LG G4 I have in a drawer for another $100. I can change my mind. As fr the Pixel XL it didn't have any deals right now, and it isn't compelling enough for the $300 I'm getting off the LG to buy it. Plus LG offers the second year limited warranty.

Unlike you, I hate the payment plans I'd rather just pay it off, but it was necessary for the transaction.

The fi payment plan is 0% and it just gets added to your bill. You can pay it all upfront if you want, but, for 0% interest I'm in. This from a guy that hates having debt. I pay off my credit card weekly, and the only debt I have is my mortgage. But, 0% means I end up paying less as inflation will go up over the next 2 years.

I thought about waiting for the v40 as the camera setup looked neat. I don't take a lot of pictures though, so it would not have meant much really. It has a notch which is meh. Also, with fi I got an additional $150 bill credit so the total price for my phone was $549.

I believe the v40 has the same dac in it, and the sound on my phone is great, so I would imagine yours is equal or better.

I do miss stock android though. I spent a few days messing with the settings to get the phone as close as I could.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I would rather not have a notch, but it isn't a deal breaker really. I do prefer the power and fingerprint button to be the same button like on my LG V20, One other thing I like about the V35 is the aspect ratio of the display, I prefer it over the 2:1 that's common now. I've yet to find the perfect phone, at least for me anyway, but photos and sound quality are right up there, as is water resistance. I carry my phone with me on a lot of runs and mountain bike rides etc. so I expect it will get exposed to some moisture if I take pics in the rain or snow.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Saw both phones in person today while at Best Buy. As expected I like the smaller one better than the XL because of the bad design on the XL. Both phones felt really nice in hand I must say. If Wear OS ever catches up to the Apple Watch I will happily switch back to a Pixel phone!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
My 3XL shipped today. Also google gave me $50 store credit to use. So I may as well buy the pixel stand with it.

Reactions: Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
My 3XL shipped today. Also google gave me $50 store credit to use. So I may as well buy the pixel stand with it.

Got the email about the $50 store credit it too. Did you order the black version? I've always had a black phone so I ordered my XL in white this time but it showed that the ship date was a few days later than the black version.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Got the email about the $50 store credit it too. Did you order the black version? I've always had a black phone so I ordered my XL in white this time but it showed that the ship date was a few days later than the black version.
My 2XL right now is black so I got a black 3XL too. Funny thing is the cases for the pixel 3XL fit my pixel 2. Although the camera cutout is a bit smaller on this pixel 3xl one I got from Amazon. Hopefully it fits without issues.

I should have got it in white but I felt the white with the big notch would look odd.

I would have kept my 2XL if my brother didn't need a new phone. He pretty much used my 6p until it is on it's last leg. Volume buttons don't work and says he has to use a volume control app to change the volume and the power button is going too.

I had the 6p for two years before I gave him it and got the 2XL.

Mine should be here Thursday but when I get the $50 gift card or credit I'll probably buy a pixel stand so I can keep it on my nightstand and let it charge overnight that way I can keep the charger brick and cord with me when I'm away from home.

Reactions: Capt Caveman

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

Google Store credit, or google credit? When I got my Nexus 6p, I could only using it for the play store and not on hardware. You may want to confirm.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Google Store credit, or google credit? When I got my Nexus 6p, I could only using it for the play store and not on hardware. You may want to confirm.
Says Google store promotional balance so it's not for the play store. They will send it out within 4-6 weeks after the phone ships. They probably want to make sure you don't return the phone.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
My 2XL right now is black so I got a black 3XL too. Funny thing is the cases for the pixel 3XL fit my pixel 2. Although the camera cutout is a bit smaller on this pixel 3xl one I got from Amazon. Hopefully it fits without issues.

I should have got it in white but I felt the white with the big notch would look odd.

I would have kept my 2XL if my brother didn't need a new phone. He pretty much used my 6p until it is on it's last leg. Volume buttons don't work and says he has to use a volume control app to change the volume and the power button is going too.

I had the 6p for two years before I gave him it and got the 2XL.

Mine should be here Thursday but when I get the $50 gift card or credit I'll probably buy a pixel stand so I can keep it on my nightstand and let it charge overnight that way I can keep the charger brick and cord with me when I'm away from home.

Mine has shipped and will get it Friday. When I ordered a couple of cases from Amazon, I did the delayed shipping to get $5 for Amazon Prime Now so I don't get them til like 10/26. Good to know that it'll fit in a 2 XL case. Already received tempered glass screen protectors.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
It's a phone.

It makes phone calls.

Maybe google and google maps and the occasional bus-stop-wait game but that's it.

Im gonna replace my note 4 when it stops doing everything perfectly - which could well be 5 years from now.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Mine has shipped and will get it Friday. When I ordered a couple of cases from Amazon, I did the delayed shipping to get $5 for Amazon Prime Now so I don't get them til like 10/26. Good to know that it'll fit in a 2 XL case. Already received tempered glass screen protectors.

Is the Pixel 3 rounded like the Pixel 2? If so you are going to have problems with that tempered glass.

I find the trend of rounded glass very annoying as I liked having glass screen protectors.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Is the Pixel 3 rounded like the Pixel 2? If so you are going to have problems with that tempered glass.

I find the trend of rounded glass very annoying as I liked having glass screen protectors.
Yup it's rounded. I ordered a screen protector from Amazon based on what Android authority had recommended but I won't receive it until November 1 or later.

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
I also ended up pulling the trigger on the regular size P3 Black 128gb on event day. I must say i was a little hesitant on the high price. Size wise the biggest phone i had was the 6P then upgraded to a P1 XL on launch, after a while the size got to me and needed something smaller to be comfortable. I was using a Pixel 1 for the past 6 months and loved the size. Side note, last year was the first year i didn't annually upgrade.

Looks like mine is coming in tomorrow with the standard shipping option. I ordered the Google Fabric case with it, i've read lots of praises with the P2's fabric case so i figured i'd give it a shot. As for tempered glass, i ordered 2 different styles on ebay ($11 for 3 total), one had the cameras and sensor circular cutouts and the other is cut short to avoid that area. I rarely ever had an issue with generic ebay tempered glass, i can't see how someone pays $20+ each in retail stores (ouch).

Ignoring the size, my coworker has the OnePlus 6, in my opinion the screen and build is very nice. I'll give the Pixel 3 a chance, but it's super tempting to go for the 6 or 6T at their price points and upgraded RAM. I'm just spoiled with the Pixel (gen 1) camera and going backwards is brutal. I attempted the iPhone X for a month this year and returned it based on the camera (lack of detail/patchiness with crops). It's insane how far Google is ahead of Apple in that aspect.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I also ended up pulling the trigger on the regular size P3 Black 128gb on event day. I must say i was a little hesitant on the high price. Size wise the biggest phone i had was the 6P then upgraded to a P1 XL on launch, after a while the size got to me and needed something smaller to be comfortable. I was using a Pixel 1 for the past 6 months and loved the size. Side note, last year was the first year i didn't annually upgrade.

Looks like mine is coming in tomorrow with the standard shipping option. I ordered the Google Fabric case with it, i've read lots of praises with the P2's fabric case so i figured i'd give it a shot. As for tempered glass, i ordered 2 different styles on ebay ($11 for 3 total), one had the cameras and sensor circular cutouts and the other is cut short to avoid that area. I rarely ever had an issue with generic ebay tempered glass, i can't see how someone pays $20+ each in retail stores (ouch).

Ignoring the size, my coworker has the OnePlus 6, in my opinion the screen and build is very nice. I'll give the Pixel 3 a chance, but it's super tempting to go for the 6 or 6T at their price points and upgraded RAM. I'm just spoiled with the Pixel (gen 1) camera and going backwards is brutal. I attempted the iPhone X for a month this year and returned it based on the camera (lack of detail/patchiness with crops). It's insane how far Google is ahead of Apple in that aspect.

Just so you are aware, the newer phones have curved glass, and the tempered glass lifts on the edges unless they cut it to make it smaller than the screen. You may find that your glass has a halo that does not stick, and or it breaks. Its a new thing now with phones.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Just so you are aware, the newer phones have curved glass, and the tempered glass lifts on the edges unless they cut it to make it smaller than the screen. You may find that your glass has a halo that does not stick, and or it breaks. Its a new thing now with phones.
There is one (pricey) way to get around that and it's tempered glass screen protectors with LOCA (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive). The most well-known one is the Whitestone Dome which I have on my Pixel 2 XL and works great.

I gave it a try instead of wasting time on the myriad of TGSP's I know will either halo or have a dot-matrix grid. A bit scary to install properly but I have no complaints now that it's done.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
There is also a glass screen protector that is sold by Google from a third party and guaranteed to fit but it's $45.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Mine was delivered today so I'll be setting it up when I get home. Ordered a cheap screen protector so we'll see how that works out.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Never had an issue with my Pixel 2 XL with a tempered glass screen protector. The one I got for my 3 XL is similar in that it's rounded at the edges to give the display a clean rounded edge. And with a case that goes over the edge of the display, it's all protected and never had any holo issues.

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
Yeah its trial and error with some of the cheap TGSP's but its still cheaper than the $45 one from google. I personally avoid the black bordered ones and dread receiving the matrix grid. The $4 ebay iPhone X TGSP I received fit pretty good and had zero halo. ::Fingers crossed::

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've had cheap glass ones that were perfect before. It is trial and error but I'm not paying $45 for one because I know I will screw it up when applying it. If I'm going to do that I'll get one at a store and have them do it.

I tried to cancel the one I ordered but it looks like I had to contact the seller and request the cancellation. There are barely any glass protectors from Amazon for the 3XL. Which also explains why I never had one for my 2XL. The rounded corners left a gap between the protector and the screen.

Reactions: Trader05